Thread: web hosting

web hosting

i've been reading a lot in this forum. thank you for all the tips.

i'm currently looking for a web hosting and actually, this is my first time buying web hosting so i don't know which to choose. i'm helping my sister's business by building her a website, which has e-cart for her business. and i'm not sure how much data storage this page need but i figure it has to be big to save customer data(who register) and for customer to upload their own design of photos.

i've been looking at all the web hosting name being mention in here and make a table to compare price and featured and space. at the moment i have an eye for hostgator.com but nobody mention about them so i was a bit afraid. i think the price are ok, anyway.

so..what do you think?

As per your requirement any shared hosting package will do for you. Yes, Hostagtor has a very good reputation in this business. Their prices are good along with best service and support.

oohh..i just found out that hostgator is for linux. is it applicable for windows? or do i better look for other web hosting?

The server you're hosted on has no relation to the computer you develop this on. Unless the shopping cart requires Windows to run, you can and should probably host on LINUX as it will likely cost you less.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

hostgator offer 50G disk space and 2,000G bandwidth but i have to pay annually. for baby plan they offer 100G space and 1,000G bandwidth. i'm not sure i will need that many amount. don't you think they overselling it?

Quote Originally Posted by ^one^ View Post
    hostgator offer 50G disk space and 2,000G bandwidth but i have to pay annually. for baby plan they offer 100G space and 1,000G bandwidth. i'm not sure i will need that many amount. don't you think they overselling it?
    You are probably right, you may not need such a amount of disk space, there is a simple guideline to find if someone is overselling or not, if they over huge amounts of disk space for small amounts of money, something is going on. That however does not necessarily mean they offer a bad service or bad quality, as long they keep a close eye on the machines and take action when something gets out of hand.
    » cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    »
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

http://www.cyberhostpro.com has Windows servers in both the US and UK

Tracy Phillips

Before transfering your domain to any host, I suggest trying this. Years ago before I started my hosting services, I subscribed to a free website monitoring service to check that company's server uptime. You can use the company's main website or ask that company for a list of a few of their clients as referals. Activate the free monitoring service on thise domains and check the report to see if they have any downtime in a 14 or 30 day period. It may be revealing.

Some services I've used are:

Hyperspin.com
    siteuptime.com
    websitepulse.com

There are others out there, just search for "site uptime" or "website monitoring".

Hope this helps,

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonytis View Post
    Before transfering your domain to any host, I suggest trying this. Years ago before I started my hosting services, I subscribed to a free website monitoring service to check that company's server uptime. You can use the company's main website or ask that company for a list of a few of their clients as referals. Activate the free monitoring service on thise domains and check the report to see if they have any downtime in a 14 or 30 day period. It may be revealing.

Some services I've used are:

Hyperspin.com
    siteuptime.com
    websitepulse.com

There are others out there, just search for "site uptime" or "website monitoring".

Hope this helps,

Tony
    While its not a bad idea to check servers reachability, i wouldn't be happy if a lot of potential customers would go and use these services at the same time, monitoring a server is something you should leave to professionals, it might badly affect a server if done wrong.

Nothing wrong to ask for references though, any self respecting company should be glad to give you some good references.

kindest regards,

patrick
    » cPanel Servers in Europe: Strasbourg (FR), Haarlem & Amsterdam (NL) & Kent (UK), USA (Los Angeles, St.Louis), Asia (Singapore) | Follow us at Twitter: @040hosting
    »
    Shared | Reseller | (managed) Dedicated Hosting | Domain Registrar | SSL Registrar | Cloudlinux Partner| 040Hosting (Registered company #17093425 KVK Eindhoven, The Netherlands)

Smile

I agree it can send some bad information to the client, but from my standpoint, my servers are up 99.97% or the time. I have planned reboots every 30 days which I inform my clients about. The reboots occur between 1 AM and 3AM to minimize client impact.

I have 3rd party monitors that check my servers 24x7 every five minutes, so I'm alerted by email (to my PC and cell phone) quickly if something goes wrong. The monitoring service has their servers located in ten different cities globally, so if one of their servers is off-line, another one takes over.

I've personally checked my server logs to verify the monitoring occurs, so I know they are honest. I don't have anything to hide from my clients and I publicize that to them.

This is how I run my business, so I believe in external server monitors.

Thanks for your comments. It's good to be able to express our opinions openly.

Tony
    Tony G.
    TomorrowsSolutions.com
    Tomorrow's Internet Solutions, Inc.

Hi Tony,

Don't get me wrong, i totally agree on monitoring being a good thing, what is not a good thing is having monitoring services connecting to your server in a rate of 5 minutes for a hunderds of users at the same time .. if all potential users would just sign up for such a service and go monitor the server this way you may get in a problem.

It's far better to have this information for your clients as you say, so they may check it, and check with such a monitoring company for it being correct, instead of letting them create a monitoring account themselves.

That is also what i mend with leaving the monitoring to the professionals and not letting the end-user keep creating accounts to monitor your server. I know that some of them will not let an end-users add monitoring for a website on a server which is already monitored just because of this reason.

I know most of these services are quite harmless http requests, still i do not want thousands of them at the same time to my server, i rather reserve this for real visitors, and maybe 1 monitoring company (from different locations) check the server and show the unbiased uptimes.
    Last edited by 040Hosting; 07-14-2007 at 11:39 PM. Reason: typo
    »