auDA Accredited Registrars - Which is best

I want to register .au domain names from Australia.

Just would like to know out of the 9 auDA Accredited Registrars which one has the best prices (and customer service)

eddie, check out this site for a complete listing

We are using Enetica. Not the cheapest, but their API is the same as the OpenSRS one, and is easily configured into our existing setup. It's also nice to be able to call a 1300 number whenever you need support. I have found them extremely helpful every time I have called.

Contrast that against namescout, who are the cheapest, but are in Barbados with a US number to call if you have hassles.

I know which one I'd rather entrust with my clients.

It's still too early to make a call, as they are all still bedding down and all still having their individual teething problems.

I hope the information above is of assistance to you.
    Web Hosting since 1999

I tried to buy three .id.au domains from Namescout whose prices are considerably cheaper than the rest. The registrations were rejected (I was unwittingly applying for unavailable names) but they still had my money. In addition I was overcharged the equivalent of two registrations. Communication with them via email was not helping very much so I had to ring them (Canada, not the US, from Australia). However once I was able to tell them my problem they were very professional and offered a full refund.

I recommend them.

Regards, Jeff Kogler

So they a) overcharged you and then b) couldn't fix the problem via email so you c) called them in Canada to fix the problem and now you d) recommend them?

I don't understand that logic at all.
    Web Hosting since 1999

What I was trying to say is that the problem took some time to fix, it was partially my mistake and partially a glitch in their IT. But there was no excuses, no "it's never happened before" and I got my money back.

I have dealt with suppliers, domain name registrars included, who refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem and that I've had to go to town on to get a result.

If I felt that Namescout had dudded me, you would have heard about it here also. But on balance, they did the right thing and did it in a professional manner.

Regrds, Jeff

Fair point. I too have dealt with registrars over the years that made it almost impossible to get anything done.

Any comments from any other Aussies on any of the other registrars? It seems like MelbourneIT, Enetica and NameScout are the bigger players, what about the others?
    Web Hosting since 1999

www.planetdomain.com are in there as well

Lats...
    Lats...

I was actually disappointed that I couldn't register a name like for example, mymail.id.au, but had to use a name which was connected with mine, eg jeff.id.au. Given that names like jeffnk.com, jeffs.ws and kogler.net were available at the time I couldn't bring myself to buy an id.au name. Any other Aussies have thoughts on this?

Regards, Jeff

Well, that is the way auDA have structured the rules for .id.au. They had a huge consultative process before hand which many people contributed to, I guess that was the time to put your point of view across.

You could always register jeffsmail.id.au (as I understand it)
    Web Hosting since 1999

Dave,

Thanks for that link, I was going with Enetica, I just did not like the deposit at front, but I ma sure I have enough domains to renew in the next months to come

Tucows is just starting to offer .au domains - I'm not sure if it's something that's interesting or not. We have not looked into them yet - as the interface is not integrated into their current offering and won't be til Q4.

Here's the link http://resellers.tucows.com/opensrs/au/

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

i registered a .com.au through http://www.netregistry.net.au/
    They seem alright, $88 for 2 years, Apparently there control panel will be up this week/next sometime so you can handle everything from their.
    Hopefully i'll have no problems with them.

edit; no experience with any reselling .com.au's ;P
    Freelance SEO Consultant - Been there, done that. Will do it again!