Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61

    Go Daddy stole my domain name.

    In 2004 I registered a .co.uk that I thought was a goldmine. It was a hit TV show that had been airing in American and had just been aired in the UK.

    I never developed the domain to it's full potential because basically I never knew how.

    However this year I was planning to develop all the domains I own, to at least pay for their own renewals.

    Most of these domains are with Name Cheap although one lonely sucker is with Go Daddy.

    The domain came up for renewal (2006) and 3 months before I looked at the account and the domain had been put into a "frozen" stage, I couldn't change name servers, transfer or anything.

    I emailed Go Daddy and they said I had to pay a $10 fee to unfreeze the domain.

    I reluctantly paid knowing full well the value of the domain exceeds that, I also paid for 2 years more to be added to the expiry date making it (2008).

    I had done WHOIS searches on the domain and apprasials etc no problem.

    I then decided that I want to park it at SEDO temp before developing the domain.

    I run a WHOIS and all the name servers are to my hosting and the Go Daddy privacy layer is over my name address etc.

    I then login to Go Daddy "You have no domains" - I thought I had click the wrong button, maybe I was filtering .com or something.

    I contacted customer services who told me it had expired when all the details still point to my name servers and I can still receive emails ending in @mydomain.co.uk.

    I am extremely pissed off, not only with the way that they renew but them existing it expired when the WHOIS states I renewed for 2 years.

    To me it seems like they might have gotten away with it here, but I won't give up.

    These 2 problems I have had with one domain over 4 years with Go Daddy.

    They see fit to steal dormant domains. SCUMBAGS

    Namecheap all the way in the future!!!

    Ash
      0 Not allowed!

  2. #2
    This issue raised before on WHT forum that go daddy stolen a user domain name.
      0 Not allowed!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Moradabad,INDIA
    Posts
    28
    i don know much but i regularly purchase expired domains from godaddy's tdnam.com and some of them expired just 30 days ago overall i think (maybe i m wrong) godaddy list the domain for sale to others after the day it expires i think they do not wait for grace period and redemption period you can see this thing on their auction website tdnam.
      0 Not allowed!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by diwaker View Post
    i don know much but i regularly purchase expired domains from godaddy's tdnam.com and some of them expired just 30 days ago overall i think (maybe i m wrong) godaddy list the domain for sale to others after the day it expires i think they do not wait for grace period and redemption period you can see this thing on their auction website tdnam.
    My domain is not listed on there.

    Surely my name servers would have changed if ownership had indeed changed hands.

    Ash
      0 Not allowed!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    31
    I thought godaddy was the best in domain registration but kinda confused now .. Do they actually steal domain ? You may write a letter to ICANN about this but wonder if they do anything .
    I love Google
      0 Not allowed!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by LearningToday View Post
    I thought godaddy was the best in domain registration but kinda confused now .. Do they actually steal domain ? You may write a letter to ICANN about this but wonder if they do anything .
    Yes that will probably be the next stage.

    I am waiting on a reply from then explaining who now controls the domain name. It's more than likely they will not tell me.

    I just wish I never used a WHOIS "guard" over my own personal name and address.

    I'm from the UK so it's complicated for me to start any legal proceedings.

    I will defiantly be registering a PO Box and a company to hold these domains in the future.

    Ash
      0 Not allowed!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Shimonoseki
    Posts
    2,100
    Sue them and be a millionaire!
    But you won't do that will you?

    Are you sure you're telling us everything?
    Domains will not go "frozen stage" 3 months before expiring date, unless you have violated their TOS. Altough GoDaddy's marketing tactics are arguable, they will NOT steal your domain.

    Once in a while someone appears in these forums, with same claims as yours. And then? Nothing happens. No law suits, no courts, nothing. Only whinings, complains, OMFGGODADDYSUXes.

    Case closed.
    NEEEXT!
    Closed for winter...
      0 Not allowed!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by BurakUeda View Post
    Sue them and be a millionaire!
    But you won't do that will you?

    Are you sure you're telling us everything?
    Domains will not go "frozen stage" 3 months before expiring date, unless you have violated their TOS. Altough GoDaddy's marketing tactics are arguable, they will NOT steal your domain.

    Once in a while someone appears in these forums, with same claims as yours. And then? Nothing happens. No law suits, no courts, nothing. Only whinings, complains, OMFGGODADDYSUXes.

    Case closed.
    NEEEXT!
    Nice constructive criticism, let's see what they say first.

    Ash
      0 Not allowed!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cardboard box
    Posts
    1,023
    What is the domain name? Or at least show us the whois so we know how things look like now.
    distrACT -- an open community
      0 Not allowed!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    What is the domain name? Or at least show us the whois so we know how things look like now.
    After crawling through my inbox I found a email.

    The reason they can't find the billing is because they did indeed not bill my account.

    The guy asked for the last digits of my card in order to renew the domain.

    I sent this email because it is in my sent box on gmail.

    However they never charged my card.

    There incompetent staff cost me this domain.

    Daniel P hope you got sacked.

    Ash

      0 Not allowed!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cardboard box
    Posts
    1,023
    When was that e-mail?
    distrACT -- an open community
      0 Not allowed!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by dale View Post
    When was that e-mail?
    April 2006.

    Whoever purchased the name from GoDaddy hasn't changed the name servers, that's what led me to believe that GoDaddy still have the name themselves.

    Ash
      0 Not allowed!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,201
    I have never registered any domain with goDaddy, I knew I never liked them, I always used NameCheap, but now I own my own domain Registrar so... ya I get my domains from me!
      0 Not allowed!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61
    Godaddy have now admitted to retaining the name and offered to sell it back to me for $20.

    I must admit I think they attempted to auction it previously and didn't sell it.

    Now they are selling it back to me.

    Regardless I will transfer this domain name ASAP to NameCheap.com

    Thanks for all comments.

    Ash
      0 Not allowed!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,866
    Incompetent staff is way different to claims of stealing a domain. How about incompetent buyer? Who never checks that their telephone renewals aren't processed. Just don't come back here in a weeks time complaining GoDaddy won't allow your to transfer the domain. Read their ToS.

    We don't really know all the circumstances here (like why they froze the domain), but I'd be curious to hear under what justification they are charging you $20 now (presumably renewal fee, right)? NameCheap is a good alternative.
    Signature Under Construction.
      0 Not allowed!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
    Incompetent staff is way different to claims of stealing a domain. How about incompetent buyer? Who never checks that their telephone renewals aren't processed. Just don't come back here in a weeks time complaining GoDaddy won't allow your to transfer the domain. Read their ToS.

    We don't really know all the circumstances here (like why they froze the domain), but I'd be curious to hear under what justification they are charging you $20 now (presumably renewal fee, right)? NameCheap is a good alternative.
    Buyers are allowed to be incompetent, business are not.

    Their automation I believe is what is leading to the **** ups.

    When you click pay most people expect the matter to be dealt with, I don't want to double/triple check that the money has left my account.

    What if I was processing thousands of domains?

    What if the domain was developed and I lost control of potentially a six figure asset?

    I read a lot of cockups caused by Go Daddy. Generally their staff is good, they respond to emails and most problems can be sorted out by email.

    They froze the domain for 30 days "redemption period" as they put it. So really when I registered 12 months .com with them I got 11 and they kept control for a month.

    This is $30 renewal redemption and bollocks fees that Go Daddy seem to have made up as they go along.

    I could have bought 4 more domain names for that amount.

    I got an email recently of one of my domains is about to expire with Namecheap, an email Go Daddy have never sent.

    Funny thing is Namecheap let me control my name right up to the point it expires.

    I know I sound like a Namecheap commercial but I expected better from Go Daddy.

    I also don't know where you picked telephone from.

    I also need to know I have to wait 6 odd weeks to transfer the domain.

    I know how it works I'm not some noob (except Linux/PHP) coming here for a piss and a moan.

    Ash
      0 Not allowed!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by ashconnor View Post
    Buyers are allowed to be incompetent, business are not.
    That depends on the circumstances. Otherwise, a lot of businesses will heartily disagree with that appearingly blanket statement.
      0 Not allowed!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
    Incompetent staff is way different to claims of stealing a domain. How about incompetent buyer? Who never checks that their telephone renewals aren't processed. Just don't come back here in a weeks time complaining GoDaddy won't allow your to transfer the domain. Read their ToS.

    We don't really know all the circumstances here (like why they froze the domain), but I'd be curious to hear under what justification they are charging you $20 now (presumably renewal fee, right)? NameCheap is a good alternative.

    Stu, you need to seriously chill out big time, I often see posts like this from your putting members down. Consumers have every right to complain and tell their story, sure sometimes it is their own fault. I just get sick of the way you always defend Godaddy & the registers, maybe it's time you be as passionate about helping the small guy.
      0 Not allowed!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,866
    1. I thought you said you renewed over the telephone?

    2. If you didn't get any email about renewal from Godaddy, then you must be the luckiest man alive. I get about 10 emails for every expiring domain to both the registrant as well as the admin contact. Making about 20 emails for every expiring domain. Starting at 90 days from renewal.
    Signature Under Construction.
      0 Not allowed!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Hosting View Post
    Stu, you need to seriously chill out big time, I often see posts like this from your putting members down. Consumers have every right to complain and tell their story, sure sometimes it is their own fault. I just get sick of the way you always defend Godaddy & the registers, maybe it's time you be as passionate about helping the small guy.
    RH. I'm not an apologist for GoDaddy or any other registrar. Actually, my own opinion of all registrars is not very high at all. But when you see blatently obvious biased misrepresentations, I speak up. Look at my post above this for examples of what I mean. I have first hand experience with many registrars, especially GoDaddy and eNom where I have thousands of domains. Maybe another couple of hundred with 6 more registrars. And experience with over 50 registrars.
    Last edited by stub; 07-12-2007 at 09:29 PM.
    Signature Under Construction.
      0 Not allowed!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by stu2 View Post
    RH. I'm not an apologist for GoDaddy or any other registrar. Actually, my own opinion of all registrars is not very high at all. But when you see blatently obvious biased misrepresentations, I speak up. Look at my post above this for examples of what I mean. I have first hand experience with many registrars, especially GoDaddy and eNom where I have thousands of domains. Maybe another couple of hundred with 6 more registrars. And experience with over 50 registrars.
    I'll quiet readily admit that this was probably an isolated case. But as for the bias, of course I am going to be bias towards Namecheap because they have gave me a better experience.

    You obviously have a lot more experience than me in the web hosting/"domaining" area. I didn't come here to slander Go Daddys reputation with no reason, I posted with the intent of somebody else advising me that this happend to them and here is how they resolved the situation.

    Just wanted my domain back.

    They might not have meant it, but at first glance it appears that they simply had taken the domain out of my control panel and kept it for whatever reason.

    Ash
      0 Not allowed!

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by ashconnor View Post
    Just wanted my domain back.
    Just remember that your registrar's contract practically dictates your rights. The moment you don't renew it on time, you virtually lose rights to it.

    IIRC, some country codes require to be renewed X days before expiration. Your registrar's contract can give a clue or so.
      0 Not allowed!

  23. #23
    when did the domain expire? Its most likely still in redemption if its less then 90 days ago that it expired... GD does not steal domains and they wouldnt tell you that you can have your domain back for 20$ ... A domain in redemption is 80$ to get it back for an expired domain.
    If anything the domain would have gotten bought in tdnam by someone after the holding period that the winner has to wait until the domain is given to you... BTW what is the domain so we can see the current whois?
      0 Not allowed!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by sesso View Post
    when did the domain expire? Its most likely still in redemption if its less then 90 days ago that it expired... GD does not steal domains and they wouldnt tell you that you can have your domain back for 20$ ... A domain in redemption is 80$ to get it back for an expired domain.
    If anything the domain would have gotten bought in tdnam by someone after the holding period that the winner has to wait until the domain is given to you... BTW what is the domain so we can see the current whois?
    The domain I can reveal is http://www.thesopranos.co.uk/

    It's back in my possession. I paid them a total of $30, $10 expire fee and $20 redemption fee so they told me.

    I can quote the exact emails if you wish.

    Ash
      0 Not allowed!

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by ashconnor View Post
    The domain I can reveal is http://www.thesopranos.co.uk/

    It's back in my possession. I paid them a total of $30, $10 expire fee and $20 redemption fee so they told me.

    I can quote the exact emails if you wish.

    Ash
    Why is Godaddy's privacy protect on this domain? Nominet allows the registrant to opt out of displaying WHOIS info for free. There is no need for any other privacy protect service.

    Also, if you ever want to change the registrant info away from Godaddy's Privacy Protect info you will surely be charged a 'Registrant Transfer' fee by Godaddy and/or Nominet.

    http://webwhois.nic.uk/cgi-bin/whois...IS+Submit.y=15


    Domain name:
    thesopranos.co.uk

    Registrant:
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.

    Trading as:
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.

    Registrant type:
    Unknown

    Registrant's address:
    DomainsByProxy.com
    15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
    PMB 353
    Scottsdale
    AZ
    85260
    US

    Registrar:
    Global Registration Services Ltd [Tag = GRS]
    URL: http://www.globalregistrationservices.com
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •