hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : Go Daddy stole my domain name.
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

Go Daddy stole my domain name.

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Go Daddy stole my domain name.

In 2004 I registered a .co.uk that I thought was a goldmine. It was a hit TV show that had been airing in American and had just been aired in the UK.

I never developed the domain to it's full potential because basically I never knew how.

However this year I was planning to develop all the domains I own, to at least pay for their own renewals.

Most of these domains are with Name Cheap although one lonely sucker is with Go Daddy.

The domain came up for renewal (2006) and 3 months before I looked at the account and the domain had been put into a "frozen" stage, I couldn't change name servers, transfer or anything.

I emailed Go Daddy and they said I had to pay a $10 fee to unfreeze the domain.

I reluctantly paid knowing full well the value of the domain exceeds that, I also paid for 2 years more to be added to the expiry date making it (2008).

I had done WHOIS searches on the domain and apprasials etc no problem.

I then decided that I want to park it at SEDO temp before developing the domain.

I run a WHOIS and all the name servers are to my hosting and the Go Daddy privacy layer is over my name address etc.

I then login to Go Daddy "You have no domains" - I thought I had click the wrong button, maybe I was filtering .com or something.

I contacted customer services who told me it had expired when all the details still point to my name servers and I can still receive emails ending in @mydomain.co.uk.

I am extremely pissed off, not only with the way that they renew but them existing it expired when the WHOIS states I renewed for 2 years.

To me it seems like they might have gotten away with it here, but I won't give up.

These 2 problems I have had with one domain over 4 years with Go Daddy.

They see fit to steal dormant domains. SCUMBAGS

Namecheap all the way in the future!!!

Ash

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru

This issue raised before on WHT forum that go daddy stolen a user domain name.

Old

i don know much but i regularly purchase expired domains from godaddy's tdnam.com and some of them expired just 30 days ago overall i think (maybe i m wrong) godaddy list the domain for sale to others after the day it expires i think they do not wait for grace period and redemption period you can see this thing on their auction website tdnam.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwaker View Post
i don know much but i regularly purchase expired domains from godaddy's tdnam.com and some of them expired just 30 days ago overall i think (maybe i m wrong) godaddy list the domain for sale to others after the day it expires i think they do not wait for grace period and redemption period you can see this thing on their auction website tdnam.
My domain is not listed on there.

Surely my name servers would have changed if ownership had indeed changed hands.

Ash

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

I thought godaddy was the best in domain registration but kinda confused now .. Do they actually steal domain ? You may write a letter to ICANN about this but wonder if they do anything .

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearningToday View Post
I thought godaddy was the best in domain registration but kinda confused now .. Do they actually steal domain ? You may write a letter to ICANN about this but wonder if they do anything .
Yes that will probably be the next stage.

I am waiting on a reply from then explaining who now controls the domain name. It's more than likely they will not tell me.

I just wish I never used a WHOIS "guard" over my own personal name and address.

I'm from the UK so it's complicated for me to start any legal proceedings.

I will defiantly be registering a PO Box and a company to hold these domains in the future.

Ash

Old
Retarded Noodleator

Sue them and be a millionaire!
But you won't do that will you?

Are you sure you're telling us everything?
Domains will not go "frozen stage" 3 months before expiring date, unless you have violated their TOS. Altough GoDaddy's marketing tactics are arguable, they will NOT steal your domain.

Once in a while someone appears in these forums, with same claims as yours. And then? Nothing happens. No law suits, no courts, nothing. Only whinings, complains, OMFGGODADDYSUXes.

Case closed.
NEEEXT!

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurakUeda View Post
Sue them and be a millionaire!
But you won't do that will you?

Are you sure you're telling us everything?
Domains will not go "frozen stage" 3 months before expiring date, unless you have violated their TOS. Altough GoDaddy's marketing tactics are arguable, they will NOT steal your domain.

Once in a while someone appears in these forums, with same claims as yours. And then? Nothing happens. No law suits, no courts, nothing. Only whinings, complains, OMFGGODADDYSUXes.

Case closed.
NEEEXT!
Nice constructive criticism, let's see what they say first.

Ash

Old
Arbeitsloser

What is the domain name? Or at least show us the whois so we know how things look like now.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale View Post
What is the domain name? Or at least show us the whois so we know how things look like now.
After crawling through my inbox I found a email.

The reason they can't find the billing is because they did indeed not bill my account.

The guy asked for the last digits of my card in order to renew the domain.

I sent this email because it is in my sent box on gmail.

However they never charged my card.

There incompetent staff cost me this domain.

Daniel P hope you got sacked.

Ash

Old
Arbeitsloser

When was that e-mail?

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale View Post
When was that e-mail?
April 2006.

Whoever purchased the name from GoDaddy hasn't changed the name servers, that's what led me to believe that GoDaddy still have the name themselves.

Ash

Old
Web Hosting Master

I have never registered any domain with goDaddy, I knew I never liked them, I always used NameCheap, but now I own my own domain Registrar so... ya I get my domains from me!

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Godaddy have now admitted to retaining the name and offered to sell it back to me for $20.

I must admit I think they attempted to auction it previously and didn't sell it.

Now they are selling it back to me.

Regardless I will transfer this domain name ASAP to NameCheap.com

Thanks for all comments.

Ash

Old
Web Hosting Master

Incompetent staff is way different to claims of stealing a domain. How about incompetent buyer? Who never checks that their telephone renewals aren't processed. Just don't come back here in a weeks time complaining GoDaddy won't allow your to transfer the domain. Read their ToS.

We don't really know all the circumstances here (like why they froze the domain), but I'd be curious to hear under what justification they are charging you $20 now (presumably renewal fee, right)? NameCheap is a good alternative.

Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Go Daddy Withdraws New gTLD Applications to Focus on Registry Relationships Web Hosting News 2013-03-06 16:13:45
Danica Patrick Trades Racecar for Private Jet in Go Daddy Super Bowl 2013 Ad Web Hosting News 2013-01-25 15:10:58
Go Daddy Supports Canadian Businesses with French-Character .CA Domain Names Web Hosting News 2013-01-14 10:59:11
Go Daddy Super Bowl Ad to Include Supermodel Bar Refaeli Web Hosting News 2013-01-17 07:04:34
Go Daddy Super Bowl Ad to Feature .CO Domain for Third Consecutive Year Web Hosting News 2012-12-19 11:24:06