Angry Annoying Hostingcon Spam

I am attending Hostingcon, and apparently I'm on some mailing/calling list -- I'm sure all of you all are too.

Is there a way to remove my name, email address and phone number from this list? I would have given false information had I know this many people were going to call and email me... geeze!

Are you all getting all of this crap too?

-Chris

We do not release phone numbers or email addresses to anyone. Can you give me some more information about what it is that you're getting?
    George A. Roberts IV ~ President & CEO, Purity Networks

Powerful, easy to use antispam services

I've had a couple of requests from HostingCon connect which I intentionally signed up for, but nothing else.

We got e-mails a couple times from HostingCon telling us that the next HostingCon is coming back to Chicago, the dates, tell us when to buy our passes by. Not a lot of stuff they sent but no phone calls or anything here.

ControlScan at booth 609 just called me and wanted me to join their mailing list and setup a time when I could meet with them. They knew who I was and that I was going to Hostingcon. They also asked for my partner, who is registered under the same company and phone number.

I got an email from Alert Logic with a generic form mail wanting to "setup a time to meet."

I got another one the other day too, can't remember who it was. It was email.

What is the deal?

I did not sign up this year and am getting the same, and some of the companies calling I did not speak with or give my card to last year..... I also got some hostingcon connect mails, and did not sign up there. I will not be attending this year so I did not see a need to sign up.

Anyone who attended HostingCon 2006 has a HostingCon Connect account. It was part of the signup process last year. However, if you don't want your name to appear as part of the network, it's simple to log in to hostingcon.com, click the Connect tab, then the Manage tab and edit your privacy preferences. You can remove yourself from the network and then people will not be able to search for you or send you network invites.

Chris, again, we don't give out phone numbers or email addresses. I would imagine one of two things: you either swiped your badge with the company last year if you attended, or the exhibitors are simply looking up your company's phone number. We do make available a list of registered attendees to our exhibitors but just their name, title and company name.

I will try and find some physical mail sent to the house. Did anyone receive a ruler in the mail yet?

Yup, we got a ruler in the mail the other day.
    Chris M.
    Netarus, LLC
    Creators of SCInterface for Game Servers
    http://games.scinterface.com

That was a sponsored mailing and was done through a third party bonded mail house. The addresses of attendees are not given out to the sponsors but directly to the bonded mail house.

Quote Originally Posted by Netarus View Post
    Yup, we got a ruler in the mail the other day.
    The staff at our company received....several...rulers As far as a marketing gimmick goes, I think the "trade this ruler for a tape measure" idea works and is interesting...

I also got a LinkedIn style "request to connect" invite from a few people, but easy enough to ignore if you aren't interested.
    the end of the world is upon us...absolute power corrupting absolutely...free speech is never free...

...mod friendly signature compliant

I got several rulers in the mail... and I got ANOTHER phone call today from Roring Penguin.

As for having swiped my badge in the past -- I didn't even go last year.

I'm going to check my Hostingcon Connect account now, I may have accidently set it to give out my information. This is very annoying and unprofessional.

Well, I guess the forgot password function doesn't work. I'm waiting on it to send my password.

Yeah, I got a ruler too.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

phone calls are annoying, i hate when i get a phone call where i am not interested. Tele callers, i hate them.

No ruler for me, i feel left out.

Plenty of hosting con connect rubbish though.

I got a ruler, not sure I am going to carry it all the way to the US with me to exchange though

A lot of Hosting Con connect junk here too. Will need to see how I can disable that. Not had any phone calls thankfully.

- Chris

Several dropped through the post yesterday, so probably just posted out to all the previous years attendees.

I'm all for "mareting gimics" - it got you all talking didnt it
    Rob Golding Astutium Ltd - UK based ICANN Accredited Domain Registrar - proud to accept BitCoins
    Buying Web Hosts and Domain Registrars Today @ hostacquisitions.co.uk
    UK Web Hosting | UK VPS | UK Dedicated Servers | ADSL/FTTC | Backup/DR | Cloud
    UK Colocation | Reseller Accounts | IPv6 Transit | Secondary MX | DNS | WHMCS Modules

I want a ruler. I'm going to sign up now so I can feel loved too.

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

we got rulers and a phone call from roaring penguin too...

I don't have a HostingCon Connect account, and didn't register my company at last year's hostingcon. But somehow I got two spam mails from an exhibitor. Too bad that I deleted the message.
    CityWideHost.com - Web Hosting YOUR Way!
    Non-Oversold Hosting, Webmaster Services, Web Design, and Asterisk PBX Management!
    24/7 Support - Powered by Bobcares!

I am pleased to now announce that of the 3 rulers we received, all have been recycled
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy