hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Chat Server

Forum Jump

Chat Server

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Chat Server

From your personal experience or knowledge, what is a good chat server with a java front end. I know of volano.com which is pretty much what is needed but I just wanted some more opionions on others to try to find a cheaper price.

Thanks in advance.

Play in your spare time!

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Well, I chose digichat, however I'll probably be selling off the license as it just isn't used. The java chats take a pretty good chunk of resources from the end user, so I'm not completely certain that I'd recommned it. I've looked at other digichat sites and I think for the most part the web hosting crowd might just not like the resource suckingness of it, other markets would work better.

If you have any questions regarding Digichat, I'd be glad to help if I can.

Chicken

Old
Web Host :)

Does that mean Host Hideout is going away again?

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

chat has been always a problem, but from my experience Java (applet based irc soft) is still better than perl/c cgi or php...

just my 2 cents..

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Well, this chat is for my browser based game, so it needs to be good because chat and message boards are very important, half the game is the community. I will look into digichat, thanks for the information. If that doesnt look so good, I will see if I can find someone selling a volano license .

IRC just cant do it, it needs to have an admin system where is, IRC anyone can connect, using any name (I know not if registered ect) and not every member is what you would call smart and really, they dont know how to register their name and stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Play in your spare time!

Old
iNET Interactive

Quote:
Originally posted by CritticAge
IRC just cant do it, it needs to have an admin system where is, IRC anyone can connect, using any name (I know not if registered ect) and not every member is what you would call smart and really, they dont know how to register their name and stuff.

There is already a PHP frontend for irc, for users to register and manage nicknames.. I don't really like how it does it but it works...

Really if you have the time, you can build a system for site registration of nicknames, administration, rights and privledges, its just how much work you want to put in it to make it do what you want....

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Yes but the biggest problem is, anyone can connect to the channel. So then you can not tell who is who. With Volano you can use a mySQL DB with all the members so its good. $495 though

Play in your spare time!

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by OKIHost
Does that mean Host Hideout is going away again?
I could take it down today and someone would ask me about it a few weeks from now, heh.

Chicken

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Haha, why dont you make an IRC chat for WHT? you never know, some people might go to it

Play in your spare time!

Old
Web Hosting Master

$500 seems reasonable to me, a 'used' digichat license could cost more than that, low miles, no dents, custom fuzzy dash-login, etc. I seem to recall the reason I went with digichat at the time was that volano was much more expensive so maybe the prices have come down.

Chicken

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Resonable, but the only profit I make from the game is from donations. I currently use 36MB bandwidth a day and that is with around...200 active players. So what I have saved is going to be needed later on, so then $500 is quite alot

Play in your spare time!

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Remly Communications Listing 2014-01-06 15:17:41
Admin-Ahead Server Technologies Listing 2013-11-08 07:23:41
SiteLock and WebsiteAlive Partner to Secure Live Chat Web Hosting News 2013-06-21 12:06:42
Filipino Startup Offerchat Introduces Connectivity Improvements to Free Live Chat Tool Web Hosting News 2013-05-14 16:48:31
Web Host Verio Offers Live Chat Support Through LiveChime Partnership Web Hosting News 2012-12-12 10:59:01