Proxy hosting = IP blacklisting?

Hello

Call me stupid, but I was just wondering: Will proxy hosting get you blacklisted? I.e., my datacenter(s) may allow me to host proxy services but what is stopping me? What are the downsides?

Thank you very much

Proxies use massive processor and memory ammounts, hence the reason they are banned. The other thing is that Proxies are eitehr used to get around blocks, or view illegal content, and the nature of the proxy means it stores all the info on the server hdd, incriminating the server owner.

However, if you do allow it, you will get more customers almost immediately, but they will be shady and possibly not the cusomers you want...

Quote Originally Posted by cmxtserver View Post
    Proxies use massive processor and memory ammounts, hence the reason they are banned. The other thing is that Proxies are eitehr used to get around blocks, or view illegal content, and the nature of the proxy means it stores all the info on the server hdd, incriminating the server owner.

However, if you do allow it, you will get more customers almost immediately, but they will be shady and possibly not the cusomers you want...
    Thanks for that, I think I'll stick to no proxy hosting... if people need to host proxy sites they can sort out their own setup :p

Yeah, or offer dedicated servers for something like that, at good prices. We banned proxies completely, and as a result our server have been miles faster
    George Pearce | Get Started Blogging
    Twitter me - @pearce

Hi!
    There is a serious danger for misuse by hackers as well.
    My only interest is using reverse proxies for load balancing and service distribution...but with any proxy service there are serious dangers.

I agree. Most of your would-be customers are going to be hackers, spammers and scammers. There are few legitimate users, sadly.

Bryon
    Bryon L Harvey
    Soil Relocation Engineer