Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Aletia user needs help choosing new host

Yup, that's right! Yet another Aletia victim, and my guess is that I wont be the last one...
    Well, as the thread title says, I need a new host. Should I wait for Cyberwings new datacenter, or should i just go straight to C.I.Host? I think I heard a rumor that Cyberwings are going to pay people to host their web sites! I think it was some Shawn that said it, so it has to be true!

My web page will mainly be a portal for me, family, and friends, with a gallery and a forum. So I guess what I need is static IP, 300MB or more space, 8GB or more transfer, ftp access, MySQL, and php4. I'd love to have ssh and IMAP email, but that's not crucial. Also, the hosting having no Frontpage extensions is NOT going to be a show stopper My budget is $10-$20 a month, but I would prefer to stay at or below $15...

To give you guys more information to help me choose I have this list of my priority ranking:
    1. Reliability/Uptime
    2. Speed
    3. Space
    4. Price
    5. Service (I assume that if the servers aren't down, I would not need service that much.)

Ironically, I used this board back in December to research hosts, and ended up with Aletia. Well, who knew they would start sucking that bad after a couple of months?
    Again I turn to the authorities of this board and look for help. I've spend some painful days collecting information and comparing the different hosts, and now even my hair hurts! Hopefully I will not have to do this too often!

Here are my candidates so far:
    Priority Colocation
    Splash Host
    Voxtreme
    Flying Hosts
    Freestyle Hosting
    Insider Hosting
    Dot5 Hosting

Under serious doubt:
    Always Webhosting (come on, 60GB/month bandwidth?)

Also, do any of you think they would be willing to negotiate a nice deal for a refugee?

PS! Voxtreme: since you are Irish, do the plans come with a case of Kilkenny? (They don't sell that here in the US )

Thank you all for your help!!!

-Thomas
    If we weren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

I would recommend gearhost.com, they are best in my opinion. The uptime is incrediably high all the time, 22 days, 1 hour and before that it was 35 days.

The support is great and the speed is great. If you need a reliable host I would choose them. Do a search many happy customers with them.
    Video.Gaming.Insider-
    VGinsider.com
    Hosted by Gearhost.com

well, since im having a pleasnt conversation with the guy from Dot5 Hosting at the moment, ill impartially recommend them.

its not often ill recommend a host but Sam has certainly saved me from going mad moderating this forum on a lonely Friday night in the UK
    www.microsolder.uk - Microsoldering Services in the UK

Thanks for responding Billabong2k2 and xtstrike! I'll check out gearhost.com! Anybody else have any experience with them?

Also, TotallyHosted looks good, but there's not much info about them here on these boards. Are they brand new?

-Thomas

Xtstrike, aren't you a moderator?
    If so, why don't you follow the rules?

Participants may not use discussions to recommend or praise other product or services, or any company, unless you have directly used them before
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Originally posted by Jedito
    Xtstrike, aren't you a moderator?
    If so, why don't you follow the rules?

I have used them!, damn I read the rules daily just to make sure im not telling people off for wrong things.

I don't know why, but I don't believe you
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Hey, im a Mod, Ive tried so many hosts im beginning to loose count !!

Hi CrimsonScy,

I'm also an Aletia user looking for new hosts for a few sites. Here is my final list:

http://www.futurequest.net/
    http://www.hostingmatters.com/
    http://www.focalhosting.com/
    http://www.jaguarpc.com/

Each of these hosts are top-notch and would serve you well depending on the type of site you are running. FQ is definitely the best, IMHO, if you can afford it. Look at their uptime:

http://www.visionquest.net/Uptime.php

WOW! That's an impressive uptime list!!! However, their prices are rather high... (Then again, one usually get what one pays for.)

I'll check out the other ones

Have you decided on any yet? Kinda funny that we both have lists with hosts that do not overlap at all!

-Thomas

PS! Were you on Kiwi?
    Last edited by CrimsonScy.; 07-19-2002 at 07:53 PM.

I have to say that JaguarPC looks VERY good! I might go for their service... I'll have to do some more research first

-Thomas

CrimsonScy,
    I've seen a lot of Aletia posts lately. Hopefully the issues will be worked out.
    Last edited by esdjco; 07-19-2002 at 08:36 PM.

Personally, all the hosts in your list are great hosts. It really is a toss up in that regard. It just depends, what I would do is see which host you like best in terms or price and features and go with that host.

-Steven
    https://www.ihnetworks.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Tata in One Wilshire, Los Angeles! Enterprise Datacenters around the world, including Amsterdam, Singapore, London, and the United States.
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

I have a few of questions for you esdjco! (Bear with me here...)

1. I assume I can upgrade plans on the fly, but can I go on a month by month basis for, let's say, 6 months and then sign up for a whole year to get extra discount?
    2. What are your server spec's? (Do you have any shared hosting servers running FreeBSD, and if not, why?)
    3. Do you support IMAP at all, and if not, why? (Too server intensive?)
    4. Do you have any uptime statistics available?
    5. Do you have any sweet special deals?

-Thomas

CrimsonScy, I've decided, pretty much. If my budget is approved, one of my sites will be hosted at FutureQuest. If not, I'll choose between HostingMatter or JaguarPC. For my non-profit site, I will go with Focal Hosting. FH generously offers non-profit orgs free hosting.

Out of your list, I've only heard of Splash and Dot5 (I've heard good things about them). I'm going to look into the others right now.

EDIT: I'm on Cobra. I don't actually have problems with Aletia since I haven't needed support so far, touch wood. My only complaint is that they wouldn't even answer a simple ticket asking about their TOS (nothing to fix; a yes or no question). But now that my sites are about to go live, I'm not risking staying with a host that doesn't answer support tickets.
    Last edited by T-DoG; 07-19-2002 at 09:06 PM.

insiderhosting: I like your your plans! However, I would like to ask you questions 2-5 to you too. And one last question, at least for now:
    6. How many accounts do you host on each server?

T-DoG: The only one I can afford on your list, is JaguarPC, since I fund the site myself and have no ads. Some of the ones I listed are rather small companies, so it's not surprising that you haven't heard about them

-Thomas

CrimsonScy,
    Go ahead and email me and I will be more than happy to assist you in any questions you may have. Thanks!

I prefer hosts with support forums (makes them seem more honest and confident; you are not alone when problems arise); Voxtreme doesn't have one. Their site is poorly designed too, IMO. Flying, freestyle, Insider don't seem to have forums either. By the way, do you mean freestyle.com? They don't seem very professional.

Re: Aletia user needs help choosing new host

Originally posted by CrimsonScy.

Under serious doubt:
    Always Webhosting (come on, 60GB/month bandwidth?)

Also, do any of you think they would be willing to negotiate a nice deal for a refugee?

-Thomas

Hi Crimson, I can assure you www.AlwaysWebHosting.com is completely legit. We have been in business since Dec 2001 and are profitable, and offering a wonderful service to our loyal customer base. Please take a moment to search these forums and our own forums rather than completely discounting us as a host. You will find *many* posts proving we really honor our 60 GB/month offer...
    Last edited by Chicken; 07-20-2002 at 12:52 PM.
    Ronnie T. Moore, Founder/Owner
    AlwaysWebHosting.com Friendly, feature-packed Cpanel hosting, that can't be beat!
    cPanel 11 Fantastico Multiple-Domain hosting (Host up to 25 domains with one account!)
    Sales/Support via phone, email, help desk, forums, FAQ's, instant messenger, live chat

Originally posted by CrimsonScy.
    insiderhosting: I like your your plans! However, I would like to ask you questions 2-5 to you too. And one last question, at least for now:
    6. How many accounts do you host on each server?

T-DoG: The only one I can afford on your list, is JaguarPC, since I fund the site myself and have no ads. Some of the ones I listed are rather small companies, so it's not surprising that you haven't heard about them

-Thomas
    Thomas,
    I don't believe that I can respond to you with my answers on this forum as it will be considered advertising, but if you e-mail me, I will be more than happy to supply you with the answers, and give you client testimonials. Go to the contact page on our site, and you will see how to get in touch with us.

BTW, we just opened our discussion forums yesterday afternoon.

-Steven
    https://www.ihnetworks.com
    BGP Blend of Telia, GTT, Zayo, and Tata in One Wilshire, Los Angeles! Enterprise Datacenters around the world, including Amsterdam, Singapore, London, and the United States.
    True Definition of Managed Hosting
    Proudly Offering Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, and Co-location

T-DoG: I totally agree with all of your points!

Steven, Ronnie, and James, I will email you!

Wow, I got answers way faster than I had anticipated!

-Thomas

I love how fast this board works too. Thats the beauty of having so many professional members.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry, but I just lost all of my emails in my regular user account at Aletia, and I cannot receive any emails there either. I think I'll have to find an alternative email address to use.

-Thomas

OK guys! I have sent the emails now. Please let me know if you haven't received them!

-Thomas
    Last edited by Chicken; 07-20-2002 at 10:57 AM.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by T-DoG
    [B]Hi CrimsonScy,

I'm also an Aletia user looking for new hosts for a few sites. Here is my final list:

http://www.futurequest.net/
    http://www.hostingmatters.com/
    http://www.focalhosting.com/
    http://www.jaguarpc.com/

]

i have a website that NEEDS speed or my users easily run off to a competitor website. none of the above have ping times that can even mildly satisfy me. it is diffferent if you are running an informational site or a blog, in which case, really -- any one of the above is ok. but none of them have good internet connections. sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast