Question On HTML Validation

I have been running my web pages through http://validator.w3.org/ and there is one error that I can't get rid of:

<meta name="Microsoft Border" content="tl">
    ^Error: value of attribute "NAME" must be a single token

This tag was generated by FrontPage because I'm using shared borders. Does anyone know of anyway I can modify this tag to pass validation and still have shared borders work?

Thanks for the help!

this looks a little techie for our "casual chat members"

moved to the tech forum, maybe someone (highly intelligent, and exceptionally technically skilled) will be so good as to help this chap.

...that excludes me then
    www.microsolder.uk - Microsoldering Services in the UK

remove the microsoft part of the text. give that a try. I personally dont ever use MS products so I wouldnt know the relevance of this but you can try a search on google or remove the tag alltogether.

Don't quote me on this, but according to the error message, and also to programming common sense, the value of the 'name' attribute must be a single word.

This is consistent with how in most programming languages you can't have a space in the name of a variable.

(disclaimer: I am just inferring)

Peter

ckpeter,
    Good call. Forgive me for being dumb on this meta tag question but what is the importance of this tag? There are so many useless meta tags and tags in html I'm just curious. Thanks.

James

No, you are correct Pete.

It's another example of MS and their unnecssary coding. You should be able to safely remove it. I don't use MS FP, but do know it still puts in extra, useless coding.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available

Well, again, don't quote me on this one. From my experience, the meta tag is just a way to attach some meta information to the document. For example, search engines uses the keywords/contents/etc in the meta tags to index a document. Also, tools such as Microsoft Frontpage uses the meta tag to keep track of its internal feature in a more standardized way. (e.g. using the meta tag to keep track of the borders feature, instead of a more proprietary way, although ironically this also produce the validation warning.)

Again, just an inference.

Peter

Looks like Rob and I were posting at the same time. Thanks for the confirmation, Rob.

Peter

Your welcome Peter <- got it right this time.

Meta tags serve all kinds of useful purposes and are becoming more Mandatory as we move away from HTML, to XHTML/XML/CSS etc.

Two tags that serve a good purpose for any site are:

<meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no">

For people who can't figure how to turn of this "feature" in IE6

<meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" contents="True"> Note there is no spacing.

Prevents XP and associated XP programs from turning links on your Web into a "Yellow Rash" disease page. Using that as a keyword will provide some interesting articles at your favourite Search Engine, on what this is all about.
    PotentProducts.com - for all your Hosting needs
    Helping people Host, Create and Maintain their Web Site
    ServerAdmin Services also available