Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    As a side note, I'd be very curious as to what parameters people are using to build the LSAPI php module. We've having a bit of a compatibility issue when use use --with-gd and --with-dom.

It's getting a bit OT, but if you can post your configure options I'm sure everyone reading this thread will appreciate it.

Frank
    Last edited by ffeingol; 07-03-2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: typo
    Umbra Hosting
    cPanel | Softaculous | CloudLinux | R1Soft | Ksplice
    Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    UmbraHosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by ffeingol View Post
    As a side note, I'd be very curious as to what parameters people are using to build the LSAPI php module. We've having a bit of a compatibility issue when use use --with-gd and --with-dom.

It's getting a bit OT, but if you can post your configure options I'm sure everyone reading this thread will appreciate it.

Frank
    I haven't had issues with either of those. I don't think your issues are related to the use of the LSAPI. Have you tried downloading the "generic" PHP source from php.net, and then trying to do a compile? If it doesn't work both ways, then it isn't an LSAPI issue...
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

layer0,

Yes, we know it's not a LSAP issue per-se. It's an issue building php (period) with --with-gd and --with-dom-xsl/--with-dom-exslt enabled. We've had the --with-dom* parms enabled "forever" and it simply won't compile by hand. The configure throws an error related to GD, but it's really things that the dom parms are brining in that are causing the issue.

The weird part is that it compiles fine with easyapache and those options.

We can remove the --with-dom-xsl/--with-dom-exslt and it compiles fine, but it will take a bit of research to see what we're going to break.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    UmbraHosting.com

layer0,

Yes, we know it's not a LSAP issue per-se. It's an issue building php (period) with --with-gd and --with-dom-xsl/--with-dom-exslt enabled. We've had the --with-dom* parms enabled "forever" and it simply won't compile by hand. The configure throws an error related to GD, but it's really things that the dom parms are brining in that are causing the issue.

The weird part is that it compiles fine with easyapache and those options.

We can remove the --with-dom-xsl/--with-dom-exslt and it compiles fine, but it will take a bit of research to see what we're going to break.

Frank
    Interesting. We don't have any of our "production" cPanel setups (though we manage a few, where we do our own compiles). I'll take a look at this for you on one of my dev boxes, and see if I can replicate it.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

I tried litespeed on my new server. It worked fine with PHP. The only thing which I was feeling bad was it does not comes integrated in DA nor there are any modules to install. If you have any please let me know.

Frank
    well I had a lil trouble but just following the wiki install and using my current config minus the apxs modules it worked great. Using eaccelerator, zend opt, ioncube all with no problems.

Here is my configure on php 5.23
    Code:
     Command './configure' '--prefix=/php5' '--with-xml' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-calendar' '--with-curl' '--with-dom' '--with-dom-xslt' '--with-dom-exslt' '--enable-exif' '--with-swf=/usr/local/flash' '--enable-ftp' '--with-gd' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6' '--with-gettext' '--with-imap=/usr/local/imap-2004g' '--enable-mbstring' '--enable-mbstr-enc-trans' '--enable-mbregex' '--with-mcrypt' '--with-mhash' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--with-mm' '--with-mysqli' '--with-mysql=/usr' '--with-openssl' '--enable-discard-path' '--with-pear' '--with-pspell' '--enable-safe-mode' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-track-vars' '--with-ttf' '--with-freetype-dir=/usr' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--enable-wddx' '--with-xmlrpc' '--with-zip' '--with-zlib' '--with-litespeed' '--with-config-file-path=../php'

I keep seeing this LSAPI being module mentioned.

Is it the equivalent of modphp?

Does it run as the owner of the Litespeed process as Apache does?

Is it the equivalent of modphp?
    No, from what I can see it's similar to fast-cgi but more effecient.

Does it run as the owner of the Litespeed process as Apache does?
    It's up to you. You can run it just like mod_php (no suexec) or you can run it just like suexec.

Frank
    Umbra Hosting
    UmbraHosting.com

No, from what I can see it's similar to fast-cgi but more effecient.
    It is similar to mod_php in that you may use php_flag or php_value via .htaccess to override the server-side PHP configuration (php.ini).

One thing that I did notice from poking around their forum is that if you use the free version it does not use your httpd.conf mod_security rules. Only the Enterprise version will ready the mod_security rules from httpd.conf.
    Umbra Hosting
    UmbraHosting.com

One thing that I did notice from poking around their forum is that if you use the free version it does not use your httpd.conf mod_security rules. Only the Enterprise version will ready the mod_security rules from httpd.conf.
    Correct - we've noticed this ourselves on a dev server. But, we do not run standard on any production systems.

I just hope they hurry and get the monthly payments available before my lisences runs out in about 14 days. That would suck to have to go back to apache.

Quote Originally Posted by SecureServerTech View Post
    I just hope they hurry and get the monthly payments available before my lisences runs out in about 14 days. That would suck to have to go back to apache.
    I'm sure you could work out something with them in such a case. Personally, I simply pay for our licenses yearly.

Just updating to let everyone know they have the monthly lisences available. I know some was discouraged from that lump sum, I was too. So now thanks to a some people bugging the crap out of litespeed sales (i.e: me) they now have the monthly plans.
    http://store.litespeedtech.com/order/products.php

Quote Originally Posted by tsj5j View Post
    To be honest, I don't doubt the efficiency/ability of this web server.
    However, the cost of the software is too expensive.

$799 for a dual core? You can buy another dual core machine with that.
    True... but two dual cores running apache will still crap out on the most trivial GET flood. One litespeed box would likely keep ticking without a hitch. That's what you're paying for, nub.

Awknet - DDoS Mitigation, Unmanaged Dedicated Servers, Transit & More!

Quote Originally Posted by jwr View Post
    True... but two dual cores running apache will still crap out on the most trivial GET flood. One litespeed box would likely keep ticking without a hitch. That's what you're paying for, nub.
    yeah thats a fact. if you see in my thread above I said I would even bet money that one dual core running litespeed would smoke and handle 10 times more traffic and 100 times more dos then a quad core running apache.

that would be an interesting test but Im 100% positive litespeed would not just win but totaly destroy apache

If they dropped the price it would probably sell like crazy. $800 is a little steep for the shared hosting market. What's better, selling a thousand copies @ $800 or 100,000 copies @ $100? (hint hint, wink wink).

Does look a bit on the pricier side. But worth testing. I can see some selected use for it.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

It is pricey, but it is amazing, and well worth it.
    Its just not 100% seamless with cPanel yet, very close, but still allot of things todo to get it working right. But when working right it works amazing and truly runs 100x better than apache.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting - World-Wide Hosting, Done Right!
    Shared Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Dedicated | Virtual Premium Servers
    Server Locations in: Dallas | Los Angeles | Singapore | Amsterdam

no matter what, litespeed is a payware and it is good if you in need of technical support. however, nginx + fastcgi or proxy-to-apache and lighttpd 1.5.0-aio + fastcgi or proxy-to-apache is also great solution.

by the way.. I'm using Litespeed Enterprise for my website ( k a s k u s . u s ) and we're on Alexa.com 1500 position

and since then, i save lots of money and bring more revenue.
    i suggest you guys use Litespeed and it's worth every pennies.
    http://www.adwis.net

I don't think it's expensive at all. An enterprise customer which is what they're targeting wouldn't sweat dropping a couple grand on it.

If they are only target enterprise market then i think they miss a bigger market.
    Last edited by viettechorg; 10-20-2007 at 12:28 PM.
    <<please see forum rules for signature formatting guidelines>>

Quote Originally Posted by SecureServerTech View Post
    Just updating to let everyone know they have the monthly lisences available. I know some was discouraged from that lump sum, I was too. So now thanks to a some people bugging the crap out of litespeed sales (i.e: me) they now have the monthly plans.
    http://store.litespeedtech.com/order/products.php
    Having monthly licenses available is a great move, but your prices are still too big for small hosting companies such as myself and many others. You should consider lowering the price to enter.

I know for a fact that you have amazing volume discounts. But, please remember that there are many people who only have one server.

The per-Core/CPU prices really need to be lowered aswell. As the market starts shifting towards quad-core CPUs, I think that the prices should be lowered across the board.

Litespeed could become _the_ webserver for great hosts. Or, it could simply remain a product used by a few companies here and there. It's your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by paulius View Post
    Having monthly licenses available is a great move, but your prices are still too big for small hosting companies such as myself and many others. You should consider lowering the price to enter.

I know for a fact that you have amazing volume discounts. But, please remember that there are many people who only have one server.

The per-Core/CPU prices really need to be lowered aswell. As the market starts shifting towards quad-core CPUs, I think that the prices should be lowered across the board.

Litespeed could become _the_ webserver for great hosts. Or, it could simply remain a product used by a few companies here and there. It's your choice.
    I hope when you say "you" you're not referring to SecureServerTech, as he doesn't represent LiteSpeed.

Also, if you weren't aware already, you don't need to purchase a quad core license for a quad core server. You can purchase a single core license and let the web server itself use a single core, but have the external applications (e.g. PHP) take advantage of all cores (and the same goes for all of your other services, such as MySQL).

Quote Originally Posted by layer0 View Post
    I hope when you say "you" you're not referring to SecureServerTech, as he doesn't represent LiteSpeed.

Also, if you weren't aware already, you don't need to purchase a quad core license for a quad core server. You can purchase a single core license and let the web server itself use a single core, but have the external applications (e.g. PHP) take advantage of all cores (and the same goes for all of your other services, such as MySQL).
    I believe that he represents Litespeed's sales department. If there would be a man that could influence George it would probably be him.

Yes, I am fully aware of the fact that I could run a single-core license on even a server with 8 cores. But that doesn't mean that I'll get great performance out of it. What I'm trying to say is that a dual-core server has more performance per core than a quad-core. A lot of software is moving towards a threaded environment and Litespeed's licensing is counter-intuitive on this fact.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Related Posts from theWHIR.com