* Down Town Host, Precision Effect, or Media Layer ?

Hey!

Well, I finally picked out 3 hosts which I believe all suit my needs...
    (I was having some "difficulties" with my previous host, and I was not able to pick any one host to purchase services from for a while)

I am really stuck on this decision, and wanted some help...

The hosts I have chosen so far are:

DownTownHost

PrecisionEffect

MediaLayer

My requirements are:
    * Ability to host around 5 sites
    * Around 1gb more or less disk space
    * Around 15gb or more bandwidth/transfer
    * Unlimited subdomains/mysql databases/etc.
    * High Uptime / FAST speeds
    * Fast Support
    * Budget is around $15/mo, preferably the cheaper the better ( within reason )
    * I will have one business oriented site, and the rest will be websites like good- tutorials.com, webhostingtalk.com, in purpose, etc.

Now all of them have good reviews, and I will post what I think of each below...

Down Town Host - So far most available live support. Has all the gaurantees, and seem to have a great reputation, and a decent price( as do all of these hosts ). They use cPanel...

Precision Effect - Email/support ticket response was faster than downtownhost's by a bit. Have all the gaurantees, and the pricing is the cheapest from the three. They use Plesk, which does not allow for a large amount of sites hosted per account....

Media Layer - Email response was the fastest here, I recieved the response to my email in full within around 25 minutes. They seem not to have any gaurantees on uptime/monkeyback, etc. They seem to be the most expensive here (well we are talking like $3/mo more but meh...). They use direct admin...

I really need help on this one, and would also appreciate any suggestions for others, and reviews on current ones/opinions...

Thanks!

I would say do some research on here. - edited because comments were unfair to host providers.
    Last edited by jerett; 06-26-2007 at 09:29 AM.

I do believe you are refering to media temple, not media layer.

Quote Originally Posted by jerett View Post
    I would say do some research on here. ML is a bit flaky with their new grid but the other two are great.
    Hmmmm.... last I checked, MediaLayer doesn't have a grid. Maybe your confusing the two with MediaTemple?

YES - and I edited it. I am completely sorry. I did not mean MediaLayer. Infact - I would go with MediaLayer.

My comment ment for MT.

Layer0 - my deepest apologies.

/jerett crawls back into his cave to drink on his cup of joe.

I have not read anything bad about these companies, you will be safe watever you choose
    Best of luck
    Imageleet.com - Premium Hosting Solutions Since 2006
    Shared Hosting, FFmpeg Hosting, Linux VPS and Dedicated Solutions.
    SSD, Litespeed powered, R1soft, cPanel | Softaculous | Rvsitebuilder + FFmpeg, Mencoder, Mplayer, Flvtool2, x264
    http://www.imageleet.com

I know that, I just want to know which one :p

All three of those companies have great reputations here. I believe that you do have quite a bit more research to do. You have done the initial conversation and studying the responses and time frame for the responses. Now take the time to search as much as you can on these forums for various reviews, both positive and negative (if you can find them).

If they all seem close in reviews, then try putting each feature you need in an order by priority and see which host meets the most features that have the highest priorities and which do not. I believe you may be able to come up with a good solution there.

Also, if you have a guarantee with that host then you will have a chance to move without any real risk if something happens to go wrong, because you just never know.

Hope this helps!
    SwiftModders - Premium WHMCS Themes, Blesta Themes, and WordPress Development
    View my top-rated WHMCS Themes trusted by over 1,000 businesses!
    █ Now offering Blesta Themes to transform your Blesta client area!

Well, media layer and precision effect both seem to be the fastest with their optimized softwares. All of them have the same amazing reputation.

So even in a fight between media layer and precision effect, I would be hard pressed to decide.
    What worries me about media layer is that no gaurantees are implemented (uptime, nor money back), which is a bit scary to me....
    Could a media layer staff member comment on that?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by penguin2135 View Post
    Well, media layer and precision effect both seem to be the fastest with their optimized softwares. All of them have the same amazing reputation.

So even in a fight between media layer and precision effect, I would be hard pressed to decide.
    What worries me about media layer is that no gaurantees are implemented (uptime, nor money back), which is a bit scary to me....
    Could a media layer staff member comment on that?

Thanks!
    Certainly, I've sent you an e-mail.

Best,
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

Okay, so thats equaled itself out....
    I guess its just a matter of me doing my tad bit more of research to get the deciding factors in

But it would help if someone had reviews/opinions on the topic...

Precision Effect

We have a vBulletin forum that was running VERY slow and after bouncing around a little bit with different hosts, they were the only one who could get it running with some resemblance of speed. Then they figured out what the problem was - something that vbulletin support failed to do.

They are fast to respond to questions and just easy to work with.

Thanks!
    So hard to decide, considering the features/reputation/price on both are quite similiar...

While I have no experience with the first or last host, you cannot go wrong with Precision Effect, Steve, Dave and co. run a great operation and you'll be well taken care of. PE gets my nom.
    Personal Website: Here | Currently Hosted By: HostGator | Twitter: @Quartz87

Does Media Layer offer Phone Support?

I'm having a hard time deciding between Media Layer and DowntownHost. I called DowntownHost and they answered the phone on the first ring. Sometimes email support isn't effective. You should always have the option to call someone.

Do you think Media Layer's Application Hosting is significantly better than Downtown Host's Shared Hosting?

I've had personal experience with MediaLayer and it was to say the least, awesome. The hosting environment that MediaLayer provides is one of the best that you'll experience at a shared hosting provider.

I had the same challenge as you, it was between PE and DTH for me, but you can see who I chose! I do feel that I made the right choice!