ixwebhosting allows huge cpu usage?

I kicked last week a customer who started to host a web site that put my server down in just a few seconds. He has a large gamer community, and on his web site it said there were ~500 people online. Everyone connected at the same time refreshing the page querying PostgreSQL. The average load went crazy. In the matter of a few seconds, the server crashed. We repeated the trial several times. This happened for a few days and I decided to ask him to leave. My server is a Pentium D 3.2 + 2GB RAM. He went to ixwebhosting and since then his web site has been online and loading very fast, I'm amazed. Does ixwebhosting allow huge cpu usage? How is it possible? My server usually has a load average of 0.5. I host several other heavy-load web sites on this server, such as news web sites, business search engine, linux forums, and no problem.

Hello Tigerhosting,

A few things could have happened, but, more then likely it is a combination of 2 things.

1) the client probably fixed their coding to be more resource friendly
    2) they probably have not had as many users online yet
    3) ix uses a clustered environment, which may have been able to handle this site alot better.

Chances are though, once they have 500 simultaneous users again, the same thing will happen at ix.

This type of client really should be on a dedicated server at least and maybe their own cluster (this is just based on the superficial information given)
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHosting View Post
    I kicked last week a customer who started to host a web site that put my server down in just a few seconds. He has a large gamer community, and on his web site it said there were ~500 people online. Everyone connected at the same time refreshing the page querying PostgreSQL. The average load went crazy. In the matter of a few seconds, the server crashed. We repeated the trial several times. This happened for a few days and I decided to ask him to leave. My server is a Pentium D 3.2 + 2GB RAM. He went to ixwebhosting and since then his web site has been online and loading very fast, I'm amazed. Does ixwebhosting allow huge cpu usage? How is it possible? My server usually has a load average of 0.5. I host several other heavy-load web sites on this server, such as news web sites, business search engine, linux forums, and no problem.
    The advertise something called a "Fair Use" resource policy, which basically says that they will determine when you're using too much. That can mean, of course, whatever they want it to mean. It could be that he's on a server that, so far at least, has a light load and can handle his stuff. How that will fare over time is anyone's guess. 500 people online at the same time would stretch any Web server, if they're all doing heavy stuff.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!

The issue may not have been having 500 people on the site at the same time. The issue was probably the site had an issue. And then 500 people hit the issue it created a large load issue due to improper coding, configuring etc of the site.
    Digital City Hosting : Web Hosting Service : 24/7 Live Chat Support & 24/7 Live Ticket Support
    PHP : Cpanel : WHM : Ruby on Rails : Fantastico : Perl : MySQL
    Digital City Hosting : Web Hosting Blog

Actually he's just been kicked out of iXwebhosting.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerHosting View Post
    Actually he's just been kicked out of iXwebhosting.
    Looks like prediction wasnt that far off

Chances are though, once they have 500 simultaneous users again, the same thing will happen at ix.
    I still think my original guess is correct

This type of client really should be on a dedicated server at least and maybe their own cluster (this is just based on the superficial information given)
    If you offer dedicated servers, now would be the right time to have that conversation with this client.
    www.cartika.com
    www.clusterlogics.com - You simply cannot run a hosting company without this software. Backups, Disaster Recovery, Big Data, Virtualization. 20 years of building software that solves your problems

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting View Post
    I still think my original guess is correct
    I agree, I would go for #2: so far there hadn't been that many users online. I guess they schedule online meetings and gather all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by CartikaHosting View Post
    If you offer dedicated servers, now would be the right time to have that conversation with this client.
    My employee did a quote for him, but he said it was way too expensive for him (she didn't pick the lowest-end server config for him, obviously).

So is this guy using a popular script or is it homebrewed? If it's homebrewed, you might want to suggest he learns how to use caching so his thousands of queries get reduced down to a manageable level.
    A Collection of Web Hosts
    Small biographies on hosts, uptime reports and some reviews
    Feel free to add your review or add a host that isn't on the list.

He developed this application himself. He said he already optimized his application as much as he could.

Really depends on their load balancing capabilities.

Ya, with 500 users online, don't matter if your an oversold or a nonoversold enviroment.
    It's time to get a dedicated /=
    hosted by HawkHost
    I Recommend: LimeStone Networks!
    The OverSeller Defender!

If he has 500 people online maybe he should think about putting some ads on, thats serious amount of people on a website and could bring in enough income to help pay for a dedicated server.

That kind of website is well past the Shared Hosting mark.

,Ashley

Quick note about Forums and such. With the wrong forums (php based) you can kill a server... Any server... by just holding down the F5 key and let it refresh over and over.

Depending on several things, what OS your using and such. This can be regulated as well.

And I do agree with ZXHostUK, it does sound like that the customer needs to start thinking about a Dedicated server. Even then, the customer will still have problems (again depending on what they are using). Its just they will not be affecting the rest of the customers on that server, just themselves.

David

My employee did a quote for him, but he said it was way too expensive for him (she didn't pick the lowest-end server config for him, obviously).
    Looks like someone's not prepared to pay the price of success. With few exceptions, a community of that size should be able to at least secure some type of sponsorship to cover the hosting costs, if not be able to sell advertising and run a serious profit.

Quote Originally Posted by ZXHostUK View Post
    If he has 500 people online maybe he should think about putting some ads on, thats serious amount of people on a website and could bring in enough income to help pay for a dedicated server.
    It may help a bit. But there are other things to consider. He has no knowledge in system administration so we would have to manage the server for him. With such an amount of concurrent connections and with the site getting popular quickly, it's wise not to set up a low-end dedicated server. We live in a developing country. And there are transaction fees to convert to USD.

But he does charge $2.50/month per customer to access his web site, which should add up nicely if you think about it. Not sure how many are paying and how many are on a trial period or temporary rebate

Yes seems as if this person wants the money to flow in, but however does not want to put much money out, things are not free in life. As you grow you have to expect to pay large amounts of hosting fees. However if you do it correctly your income should increase aswell.

,Ashley