Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Centos & Mail servers(futurehosting)

    Hi guys, i'm just wondering how to go about tackling this.

    Basicly, i'm running a forum and a few other things on a futurehosting VPS plan which is running centos.

    we changed to futurehosting because our shared hosting was definately not coping with it, so we had to make a quick changeover... unfortunately i dont have too much experience with setting up mailservers in linux(which seems to be a massive complicated mess involving a million different services).

    i'm wondering if anyone knows any guides to setting up a mail server + have a managable web interface to add user accounts/setup forwarding rules and such that works well with centos?

    or better yet, is futurehosting capable of doing it for me

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensop View Post
    Hi guys, i'm just wondering how to go about tackling this.

    Basicly, i'm running a forum and a few other things on a futurehosting VPS plan which is running centos.

    we changed to futurehosting because our shared hosting was definately not coping with it, so we had to make a quick changeover... unfortunately i dont have too much experience with setting up mailservers in linux(which seems to be a massive complicated mess involving a million different services).

    i'm wondering if anyone knows any guides to setting up a mail server + have a managable web interface to add user accounts/setup forwarding rules and such that works well with centos?

    or better yet, is futurehosting capable of doing it for me
    You have a managed VPS plan with them? If so, take advantage of it. Only FH knows what works best on their servers and they most likely do these types of setups on a daily basis.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensop View Post
    Hi guys, i'm just wondering how to go about tackling this.

    Basicly, i'm running a forum and a few other things on a futurehosting VPS plan which is running centos.

    we changed to futurehosting because our shared hosting was definately not coping with it, so we had to make a quick changeover... unfortunately i dont have too much experience with setting up mailservers in linux(which seems to be a massive complicated mess involving a million different services).

    i'm wondering if anyone knows any guides to setting up a mail server + have a managable web interface to add user accounts/setup forwarding rules and such that works well with centos?

    or better yet, is futurehosting capable of doing it for me
    I honestly don't understand why you didn't call your host in the first place to ask questions that are obviously their responsibility to answer. If you have a managed VPS, this should have been taken care of for you. If you don't have managed, you're out of your league, so you should upgrade to something you can handle.

    I see from their price list that the difference is just five dollars a month.

    With proper setup, you should be able to configure our email accounts in minutes, with either cPanel or Plesk. It's really no big deal.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Steinberg View Post
    I honestly don't understand why you didn't call your host in the first place to ask questions that are obviously their responsibility to answer. If you have a managed VPS, this should have been taken care of for you. If you don't have managed, you're out of your league, so you should upgrade to something you can handle.

    I see from their price list that the difference is just five dollars a month.

    With proper setup, you should be able to configure our email accounts in minutes, with either cPanel or Plesk. It's really no big deal.

    Well, i am on the managed plan;however i assumed it was more towards the side of 'if something screws up', not actual software installation and such;


    I am able to configure a mailserver(done it a few times before with gentoo), but under centos it seems to be quite annoying, that combined with not having the time to get right into it means i cannot do it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Tensop View Post
    Well, i am on the managed plan;however i assumed it was more towards the side of 'if something screws up', not actual software installation and such;


    I am able to configure a mailserver(done it a few times before with gentoo), but under centos it seems to be quite annoying, that combined with not having the time to get right into it means i cannot do it
    Well, then it doesn't hurt to ask them. And if they aren't giving you the service you need to get the services running, go elsewhere.
    Best,
    Captain Marvel
    Host/Executive Producer, The Paracast, www.theparacast.com
    I do not represent the hosting industry!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    665
    Nah, go ahead and submit a ticket to our support team and we can help you out. If it is managed, we will support anything already installed on the VPS upon delivery - this includes mail setup.
    http://www.futurehosting.com
    Managed, Unmanaged VPS, Dedicated Servers, CDN
    Available locations: Australia, Detroit, London, Santa Clara, Miami

  7. #7
    well, i think i've figured it out via cpanel. (bit of background here - cpanel wasnt installed and for some reason and a copy of plesk that i could not log onto was on there, anyhoo the site needed to go up straight away, so had to do everything manually)

    i created an account in cpanel, which overwrote my httpd.conf(restored the backup) to fix all the directory links in the apache conf, then logged into the newly created cpanel account, created the email accounts, fired off some test emails and all good(except for a few little things below)

    i cannot receive emails on these accounts because the dns entries for the mx records arent set up. according to some cpanel documentation the default alias needed is mail.yourhosthere.com, so do i create an aname pointing mail.yourhosthere.com in the dns zone file, then an mx record pointing to mail.yourhosthere.com ?

    The dns server for the site is currenltly on zone edit
    Last edited by Tensop; 06-25-2007 at 11:44 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    13,380
    Moved To Technical & Security Issues.
    .
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net providing web hosting services and support 24/7 since 2001.
    .

  9. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •