Aletia hosting = nightmare

Just wanted to give a heads up to any potentially new customers of Aletia. I strongly recommend you NOT use their hosting services. I made the mistake and regret it. Machines are down daily, the one i was on was down every week for a month. After it went back up i wasnt receiving email. After opening several "tickets" trying to fix the problem i finally cancelled. 2 months later they ripped me off for the past 2 months and refuse to give a refund for downtime. I have talked to several people on the community forum who have had the same problems. This is just an attempt to warn any new customers. If you have any doubts, check their forums and see all the unsatisfied customers.

I was with them almost a year and, for a long time, I was extremely satisfied with Aletia. I experienced the same problems and then some that you mentioned.

In the end, I cancelled my account and got billed for 2 consecutive months after that. Every time, 2checkout.com cleared it up but it took a lot of forwarding Emails that Aletia had sent saying I had, indeed, cancelled my account.

I know a lot of people have had great things to say about Aletia. I used to be one of them. And, of course, a lot of it depends on what machine you're assigned (or stuck with in some cases).

I just left Aletia. HORRIBLE tech support.

Thanks for posting your review, it will help many potential Aletia customers in deciding to use them or not.. (de ja vu)

It seems to be server dependent issues.

Timechange.com is hosted by Aletia. While their support is not stellar, it's more than responsive. Been with them for 10 months now, no downtimes. Then again, I am hosted on Dolphin, a very table machine.

Originally posted by Silly Janine
    I just left Aletia. HORRIBLE tech support.
    Did they let you have your domain afterall?

They are resellers or ventures online, so really, I don't think that they had any control over server malfunction.

they resell for venturesonline.com or are the same company. Either or, do use them.

Originally posted by hostingguru
    They are resellers or ventures online, so really, I don't think that they had any control over server malfunction.

they resell for venturesonline.com or are the same company. Either or, do use them.
    uhhh no...

They either had dedicateds with VO or they colo'ed woth them, but for sure they didn't resell.

VO dosn't even offer plans at the same price aletia is offering them at. So if they were resellers, they'd be earning virtually nothing.

Originally posted by Angel78

Did they let you have your domain afterall?
    yeah finally I went over to totallyhosted.net and was set up in a half hour... plus LIVE tech support....I think I'm in love!

what machine were you on?

i'm on cheetah and havent noticed any real problems... just curious to know which ones are bad.

very sad indeed, i remember the days aletia hosting were getting top marks on WHT, people were praising them everywhere, then they gradually turned sour.

Saddening to see it happen, but life must go on...
    www.24y.co.uk - Fast Professional UK Web Hosting

I was on tiger

As of 1:30CST 7/21/02 http://aletiaforums.com/ and http://aletiastatus.com/ are down.
    So, parts of Aletia have been down for almost 1hr now.
    I am sure they are working on it, but how long will it take them to stop putting bandaids on stuff and fix it for good!!

Sad how the only reason why I'm sticking to Aletia until my year plan expires is because I just don't want the hassle of them not giving me my refund.

Tis all a conspiracy.

The actual technical support is actually pretty good. They usually reply to me right away, and have gone so far as to FIX cgi scripts and such for me. Unfortunately, anything that goes beyond basic tech support is terrible (things regarding payment, account info, or your site being hacked). One site of mine was suspended because someone broke into it and sent spam. Aletia never got back to me, and I finally just canceled my account through paysystems and moved the domain name elsewhere. I had a problem with aletia with a different site, but the problem was actually with paysystems who suspended the account for suspision of fraud (I put the wrong phone number) but charged the card anyway. And finally, I have my first site I ever got with aletia which goes down maybe once a month for a few hours. It also is not safe from loser people who like to break websites, because just today someone was accessing my site without persmission and deleted things. I will be moving elsewhere when my year is up. I think if you get on a good machine with aletia, and dont have any problems with your credit card then they are a fine host to use. But if there's a chance your card could ever be declined, or you get put on machines named cobra or tiger... then cancel right away. PS-ehostsource.com seems good so far

there's the irony. Their actual domain is on a server that's had even better uptime than us:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/hosted...16.118.127.255

At a guess I would assume their customer sites are in a different datacenter than NAC (without looking into it).

Greg Moore
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.