Looking for High-Caliber Designers

Hello,

I have been in webhostingtalk for a while now, and I have seen many people with great talents here. Being a designer myself, I know it is really hard for finding good design work lately, and it is getting harder everyday, hence the economy is at its weakest point. I have been working on an idea for opening a new website. However, I will need as much help as possible. This website will benefit many designers. Well, basically I am looking for good designers, experienced in flash is a plus. Our website will be targeting websites with a budget of $70-$900+. This means we need designers of all levels, ranging from intermediate to advanced. We would like any designer with the necessary skills to please email us with how much they charge for logos, templates, full websites, or anything else they can do, ex: flash.
    What our website is going to do is, (if we select you) we will have a list of designers associated with us, and each designer will have a profile which will include price range for the designer, skills, and screenshots or links to previous works from that person. If a client chooses you over the rest of the designers on the list, then the client will contact us, and the client will have no communication what so ever with the designer (Designers are going to be codenamed: Sessionmedia01, Sessionmedia02, etc.. All the information the designer is going to need will be provided by us, and payment will also be provided by us. We are looking for good designers that have impressive designs and still manage to be not that expensive. Do you have what it takes? Please email us as soon as possible with sample works, skills, price range and anything else that you think Sessionmedia should know. Based on the information you provide us with we will evaluate you and let you know if you meet our requirements. We are working on the layout for this site, and we think that by mid-August our site can be up and running.

Thank you for your attention.
    -Sessionmedia

Why would there be no communication between the designer and client? It is actually a very necessary thing, for the designer to have immediate, and direct contact with the client, and vice versa.

When something (especially a design project) is relayed through a "middle man", important details get misrelayed, misunderstood, and leftout.

So with that, I would like to hear a good reason why the designers are given code names, and have no contact with the client.
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV

Originally posted by idoogleceo
    Why would there be no communication between the designer and client? It is actually a very necessary thing, for the designer to have immediate, and direct contact with the client, and vice versa.

When something (especially a design project) is relayed through a "middle man", important details get misrelayed, misunderstood, and leftout.

So with that, I would like to hear a good reason why the designers are given code names, and have no contact with the client.
    Very very true. sessionmedia, your idea is pretty good, but all it sounds like is, you bring a client, charge them whatever you want, do no work on their site, get paid, and pay a small amount to the designer.

Originally posted by iamdave
    Very very true. sessionmedia, your idea is pretty good, but all it sounds like is, you bring a client, charge them whatever you want, do no work on their site, get paid, and pay a small amount to the designer.
    That's generally what happens with these kind of setups/firms. The designer doesn't get every cent, money goes to salesmen and to other things too.
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

thats true NetXL the designer works HOURS on a project and if luck makes a 1/3 of the price.
    Todd Goldberg
    www.4nmedia.com
    AIM: FourNmedia

elance is great but you gotta pay to be a service provider and you are only entered in 1 catogory.
    Todd Goldberg
    www.4nmedia.com
    AIM: FourNmedia

Your own website

I apologise for thread crapping but your own site www.sessionmedia.com looks like it was made by a 14 yr old with MS Frontpage.

Get a "REAL" designer, make a professional website first.

Then advertise.

Just my 2 bit....................

first of all the site doesn't look like it was designed by a 14 yr old kid. second he did say that their new layout will be up by mid august so don't flame his current layout.
    Third he is the middle man and he does give the desinger a small percentage of what the design is sold for but hey, you don't want to use that service don't. He's just like a real estate agent he sells the design and gets money for it, if it wasn't for him you wouldn't have work, if that isn't the case then don't work for him.
    finaly, he doesn't want contact between the client and the designer because he doesn't want the designer to tell the client hey, lets skip the middle man and I'll sell it for you cheeper. Which I think is a perfectly logical deccision.

my 2 cent.

Idan Arbel
    Arbel Designs
    Idan Arbel - Arbel Designs
    http://portfolio.arbel-designs.com
    http://www.arbel-designs.com

in principle there is nothing wrong with having a 'middleman' or 'agent'... and if you do, then this 'middleman' or 'agent' has to earn a living too.

what should be important is that the agreement between a designer and a 'middleman' is fair and mutually beneficial to both sides.

i administrate an advertising agency and a graphic production house as one of three partners. we have a professionally trained marketing team on salary to go out into the local market getting fresh business for us and servicing our current clients. the logic is the same i guess, either we pay our marketing guys their salaries, or share revenue with a middleman or agent or do the marketing ourselves which will give us less time to focus on design.

its a professional world out there today. the days when one guy could do everything are over if he wished to convert his small business into a big one.

TIME puts a definite limit on the amount of work or skills or experience a single person can offer individually. if you don't allow yourself to grow fast enough and profitably enough, your competition will beat you to it!

nothing wrong with dealing with middlemen if you have a decent benefit. just don't agree to being exploited... even for a minute! once exploited, always exploited! middlemen aren't to blame for exploiting us... we are to blame for allowing it to happen to us!
    Chang Lee - Professional Designer
    (for Print, Television & Internet media)

That's true. There's nothing wrong with having an "agent" or "middleman" to set up the deal. However, the middleman, agent, or salesman (whatever) doesn't usually get paid more than the person he/she is an agent for.

Also, as Chang Lee pointed out. "It's a professional world," and one person simply cannot do everything. So, most companies would hire salespeople or marketing agencies in this situation. However, you don't see door-to-door salespeople saying, "Yes sir, I wrote, printed and published all of these encyclopedias...I did all of the work."

Another point...

When the designer decides to leave sessionmedia's company...the designer has never had any contact with his clients, and from the sounds of it, the designer's portfolio is hosted by sessionmedia on a "profile" type page. So, now sessionmedia owns those portfolios. So when the designer says, "hey I have enough experience to do this on my own", and decides to leave, they are put right back into the same situation as before...unknown, no portfolio, no work.

BTW, tzdesigner, this is no different than eLance when it comes to the service provider having to pay. With this idea, you're paying sessionmedia. The difference is, eLance let's you and the client have contact with each other, and eLance doesn't take credit for your work.

Don't misunderstand, I also think sessionmedia's idea is a good one, if the strategy was a little different.

You have to remember, that when you become a designer, and begin marketing...you're not selling your services, or products...you're selling yourself, not just a design. Having to hide behind a "codename" does not help build trust.

AND

Arbel, you would be surprised at how many designers would be more likely to stay with sessionmedia, even if the designer and client had direct contact. If sessionamedia's company proved to be a good source of business, then the designer would continue to come back time and time again, and sessionamedia would make a killing in revenue just off of a percentage of the money from each designer.

I was in this exact situation before. The guy said, I will sell the product and you do all of the designs, but you can't put it in your own portfolio. I agreed until I found that this guy was actually not opening an "agent" type of program. He opened a so-called "design company," only he knew nothing about design. He was merely pretending to be a design firm, but actually having any designer he could find, do the work, and then sold it as his own.

So guys, you'll have to pardon me if I feel sessionmedia's current strategy sounds exactly the same. I'm hoping that this is just something sessionmedia has overlooked, and that he didn't purposely develop a strategy to exploit designers.

That's just my 2
    avidInteractive

100% correct.

A Reply to some questions

OK the idea is really just like opening up another Elance but improving on what they are doing. Also the designers will not have to worry about getting a sales man to get more work.

The designer will spend his time actually being a designer. we market you and showcase your work yes we will make a commision on the work that you do but that $$ will go towards advertising the site and getting more work for you guys.

As for our current design Like we said our site/new layout will be up by mid august our site is in the process of being ripped apart. New color wscheme's tested scripts tested ect. We did not say our site is open come to it sign up and look around infact the site will be at design.sessionmedia.com although we are also still playing with this part it might not be at sessionmedia.com we might come up with another name for it all together by the middle of next week.

So dont judge our design name or concept if you like the idea send an e-mail, which we also have a ton of from interested people so thank you to those who are interested and Franz (the other co-owner of Sessionmedia will get back to you shortly

Also Thank yopu guys for your comments we are using them to create a better stronger setup for this idea.

Also idoogleceo your comment is true I myself have had a similar situation when I opened Yourwebspot.com (which was my company before I merged with Sessionmedia).

All I can say is myself and my partner are honest people and we think this firm will be profitable for both us and you the designers. After all whats your alternative to spend hours making a design and sell it here for $25 No offense WHT owners

Well, it's like I said, it is a great idea... theoretically. AND Although I realize that you will be choosing the designers you want, in actuallity, the designers are the ones choosing you. So, it is important that they judge your concept, because if they don't like your concept, they won't signup.

Although I wish you sucess with those that have emailed you, I feel that those are the very same designers that are trying to grab onto anything to make money. Why do I feel this way? Well, it's simple. You have expressed that your concept and plan is not yet fully developed. This means that those designers have jumped at a premature, non-finalized business plan. They really have no idea what it is that you will be doing.

Of course, they have a general idea, but not a strong understanding of it, as it seems that you yourself are not even sure where it is going. That's the same as driving from PA to Cali. and all you know is, "I have to drive West."

Also, I think that you could simply improve on eLance by implementing the following:

- No Fee for becoming a provider (other than your commision of course)...

- Have providers take tests to prove their qualifications for different types of services, allowing the provider to be listed in more than one category, as long as they qualify.

- Allow the client and designer to have contact to discuss project details.

- Allow clients to post projects and designers to bid on them, and showing the client their own portfolio, on their own server. (if you really want to go with a profile...have a profile page of the designer, and let them list their website and portfolio, instead of having snapshots of their previous work. The designers will feel more in control.

These are just some suggestions. Don't misunderstand, I do like your general idea here, and wouldn't mind signing up to become a designer (it would be our whole company), if it wasn't so annonymous. Hell, we may even consider backing you financially to get you started.

Just a word of advice...work on that plan. Find out what people like about eLance, and what they don't, and add in some of your own likes and dislikes.

I think you could go far with this idea. Just take away any suspicions that they may have.
    avidInteractive

Another reply

Yes I know what you are saying and the reason why we can here and posted this project before being 100% final is that we wanted to see if their is an interest before we really devote our time to this. Since it seems that more and more people are wanting design's weather its banners logos or full site designs.

Also we will be doing at least the top three that you suggested to improve on the elance idea

Re: Your own website

Originally posted by designNYC
    I apologise for thread crapping but your own site www.sessionmedia.com looks like it was made by a 14 yr old with MS Frontpage.
    Don't hate on us 14 yr olds

14 yr olds

R K **** ji,

What I meant is the level of professionalism that under age people show. It is entirely my opinion and I speak from personal experience.

Art, asthetics and design have no age barriers.

A 14 year with talent is better than a 30 yr old designer with none.

And BTW, you are one talented young designer

After all whats your alternative to spend hours making a design and sell it here for $25 No offense WHT owners

See, thats the kind of people you will get .....................

Hello everyone,
    This is Franz, I initially started this thread.. I would not like to offend anyone here because everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. I dont see what the problem is. The designer is getting what he or she will be asking for. If the designer asks for 200 dollars, and he or she is willing to design it, then why does that create the problem. After all, we are the ones who are finding the clients for that particular designer. No offense to WHT members, but this is why I do not like posting here that much anymore. I post my idea, and I do not ask for anybodys input, and people still post their opinions just to mess up my thread. If you have something to say, please do it privately and I will be more than happy to further explain my idea. Anyways, thanks for all the people who have emailed me and I will have a response soon.
    To all those who messed up my thread, thank you. It is the negative vibe that sometimes helps people find a better way to do things, and helps people succeed.

Thank you,
    Franz

A business that does not want anyone's input is a business that is almost always sure to fail.

In your last post it seems that you think that it's all about the money. That's just not the case.

For many designers, there is a joy, and not to mention more business, when their name is on the site they created, or at least in THEIR portfolio.

You say, "As long as you get money, and are willing to do the work, why is there a problem?"

The problem (at least the problem I have with that statement) is that by doing just that, you are taking a passion for the art of web design, and turning into just another job.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with you getting the business, the designer designing the site, and you getting a percentage for getting the client. There is a problem when the client thinks that Sessionmedia (or whatever you're going to call it) created their site. At that point, the designer just prostituted themselves.
    avidInteractive

A 14 year with talent is better than a 30 yr old designer with none.

I agree! There are a few young kids out here in WHT too who make very nice designs!

idoogleceo... those were some great opinions & observations you made that will be of great value to anyone who plans to come up with a similar idea.

sessionmedia... a lot of people have tried this idea before as you have explained it. its not impossible to get something like this going, but it sure will be very difficult. i wish you luck in this project. do let me know if i can help in any way.

Thank you Chang Lee for your motivation.

To the rest of you, thank you for your opinions..

Anyone interested please email me.

-Franz

this was a very interesting thread , also, their site aint so bad, could be worked on and look some better.