Thread: Cogent?

Cogent?

I was reading some stuff on cogents website. They say they offer a 100 megabit line for 1k a month. is that true? i mean are there hidden charges or is there something wrong with it? i hear ppl saying its a crappy connection

they have been working on upgrading thier network to make it better and yes you can get 100Mbps connection for 1k a month, however that is only to regular business's and not to service providers. Service providers pay around 3k from what i was told.

Based on what i read from the other thread, they seem to be unstable. Could bankrupt at any moment. Stocks ain't doing too good either.
    123Designing.com: Webmaster Resource SuperSite
    FreeLanceCenter.com: Buy or Provide Quality Work @ Your Price!
    411Seek.com: Popular PPC Search Engine.

You cant say anything about a company you have used first hand nor can you comment on their financials unless you have personally studied their statements.

Originally posted by goodness0001
    You cant say anything about a company you have used first hand nor can you comment on their financials unless you have personally studied their statements.
    I Agree completely.
    Linux junkie | steward.io

Cogent is operating at a Net loss right now, but they have enough VC to keep them going for at least another 5-7 years. If they're not profitable by then, well, the management is clueless

I think they're providing a decent service for what you pay. Their network infrastructure is being enhanced on a regularly and with any luck they'll manage to push themselves into profitability sometime next year.

Sincereley,

-Matt

A rather new company like cogent has a lot of learning to do and also a lot of marketing to do and they also have to find ways they can better reach more customers rather than just "lighting" up certain buildings in a city. If successfull, they definately will change the way the big telco's operate and charge...

Projecting 5-7 down the road lets say cogent has made it and they have proven realibility, why would you pay 25000-50000 per month for an OC-3 at 155mb when you could pay 3000 for a 100mb?

Talking

Originally posted by RackNine
    Cogent is operating at a Net loss right now, but they have enough VC to keep them going for at least another 5-7 years.
    They have eough cash to keep going for 5 years IF THEY DON'T PAY THEIR DEBT

People used to say "WorldCom has enough cash blah blah"

Originally posted by goodness0001
    why would you pay 25000-50000 per month for an OC-3 at 155mb when you could pay 3000 for a 100mb?
    An OC-3 is a WAN circuit, usually provided by a telco running over SONET. As I understand it, the 100mbit lines Cogent is offering are for local-area connectivity in the same building. So, you're kind of comparing apples with tomatoes.

Mark
    Tranquil Hosting

I would get a cogent line if I were in the USA - once I get bigger and get more money I would get more 'reliable' providers.

From my point of view, cogent aren't bad - it's the providers who have cogent bandwidth that are bad

they have enough VC to keep them going for at least another 5-7 years. If they're not profitable by then
    More like 1.5 - 2 years best case.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

We are on Cogent so you can feel free to test it out.

wget www.verifast.net/uumap.tar.Z

1. COGENT is Ethernet like Yipe Communications. They do not operate with fiber.

2. Their peering arrangment is not that great

3. The bought PSI USA assets, so they might have some better networks to work with as well as owning Netrail's assets.

4. Cogent is great for low end stuff, but ifyou are looking for a real service. "You get what you pay for." Plain and simple.

6. Mostly used by spammers and have ip's blocked from many ISP's

Yes, I have cogent as well as other provider.

about 100kb/s from dialtone

cogent is so about to rock everyone ;]

Cogent is operating at a Net loss right now, but they have enough VC to keep them going for at least another 5-7 years
    Actually they only have enough cash for < 2 years. Rumors are going around that they are going to raise their rates to $65.00/Mbps which would make them more expensive than others (for example, you can get Verio BW for less) and they have a worse network.

My opinion, will Cogent rock the industry; NO. They will continue to raise their rates, improve peering and try to compete with other providers. The problem they face/will face is that they will only sell their services to "lit" buildings which really limits their ability to sell BW. They are already facing that challenge.
    Mike @ Xiolink.com
    http://www.xiolink.com 1-877-4-XIOLINK
    Advanced Managed Microsoft Hosting
    "Your data... always within reach"

Originally posted by RackNine
    Cogent is operating at a Net loss right now, but they have enough VC to keep them going for at least another 5-7 years. If they're not profitable by then, well, the management is clueless
    The congentco CEO told more likely for 1.5 year. That day, I'll do a big party .
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Originally posted by RackMy.com
    Actually they only have enough cash for < 2 years. Rumors are going around that they are going to raise their rates to $65.00/Mbps which would make them more expensive than others (for example, you can get Verio BW for less) and they have a worse network.

My opinion, will Cogent rock the industry; NO. They will continue to raise their rates, improve peering and try to compete with other providers. The problem they face/will face is that they will only sell their services to "lit" buildings which really limits their ability to sell BW. They are already facing that challenge.
    lol. I like the term "lit". In due time, they'll charge the same as other providers yet will have a very limited customer (or targeted customer) base. Smart hosts just don't fall for the 3k/month crappy deal like cogent figured they would. So if they are having problems finding customers now, wait until they jack the price. Another "sell cheap", get customers "then jack the price" operation except it might be more like “sell cheap”, bad press, crappy network, no cash, overselling then dead. I pity all the hosts that sold 10-20/GB packages for $20-$30/year. This should smarten them up a little.

They need to increase their accessiblity and then they will have a product.

Originally posted by alain

They have eough cash to keep going for 5 years IF THEY DON'T PAY THEIR DEBT

People used to say "WorldCom has enough cash blah blah"
    Hi Alain,
    world com did have enough cash flow to cover their payments, problem is that when they announced that there earnings numbers were wrong, the debit holdered called in all the loans.

what happed is that they are now forced into a back against the wall play and force the cards of bankruptcy which is the worst thing for shareholders since they are on the bottom of the food chain.

Just wanted to point that out. that your statement is only valid after the call of the loans.

mike
    I am Mike From ADEHOST.Com, Multidomain Windows hosting with Cold Fusion and ASP and Dot.NET Also offering multi-domain Unix hosting. silently, each one should ask, Have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I sleep without guilt tonight. Have I done and have I did, everything, to be prepared. - our motto to maintain services.