Question copyright rule - would like to use pictures from another website

Hi! I have a flash intro which uses pictures of paintings made by artists (who are deceased) (the paintings are displayed in a museum). Am I violating copyright law? I copied the pictures off websites about the lives of these artists. It didn't say "freeware" or anything like that.

I am wondering if it is ok to use them because first of all, their paintings are now public property (they are in publicly funded museums). If I have to request persmission, who do I request it from?

Thanks for your input!

You probably still have to get permission for use of the pictures, unless otherwise stated, on the respective sites.

Re: copyright rule - would like to use pictures from another website

Originally posted by lokidog75
    I am wondering if it is ok to use them because first of all, their paintings are now public property (they are in publicly funded museums).
    Being displayed in a publicly-funded museum doesn't make the paintings public property. Usually the paintings are privately owned and are simply "on loan" to the museum.

You should talk to the curators of the musem. They'll have all the answers concerning use of the paintings.

There probably won't be any legal trouble (note the probably) but it would be safe to get permission from the sites that have the images.