* The wonders of DNS

Nope... Not another can configure my webserver.... My home computer is doing freaky things w/ DNS...

So I'll surf the web like normal... Click on a link that will take me to another domain and I only get 404 errors....

Checked this on another computer on the network and they are able to reach the site. So started fooling around some more.

Eventually got into services and restarted the DNS Client service.
    Viola. It works.... So I can surf that site...
    But, now whenever I want to surf to a new domain I have to restart the DNS Client. Really a pain...

Has anyone seen this problem before? Or have a solution? Or might now what's causing this?

Windows 2000...
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

hrm.. I'm reminded vaguely of something about win2k dns caching, and clearing that cache. I don't remember much though - anyone else?

if your running win2k go to a command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns

<rant>
    I hate dns caching, especially HD caching. Who cares if its faster, I just get sick of loosing data that way in a power failure. When I click "save" I expect it to be written, not held for a indeterminate amount of time. This really irks me when using my removable drive.... Those stupid "delayed writes" really get me mad too. My data *security and integrity* is more important than speed...

Sorrt... I had to vent a little...
    </rant>
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

Originally posted by MGCJerry
    if your running win2k go to a command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns
    That helps in the short term... But, the DNS still won't receive info sometimes.... I'm at the point now that I think something else is running that is causing the problems.... I really don't know what could be doing it but, I'm just gonna sift through the entire server until I find it.
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

Originally posted by MGCJerry
    I hate dns caching, especially HD caching. Who cares if its faster, I just get sick of loosing data that way in a power failure. When I click "save" I expect it to be written, not held for a indeterminate amount of time.
    Then turn it off!

You can do that in Windows 98 - so why not in Win2K?

Note: It's called "write-behind" or "write-back" caching in technical terms - so that's what you're going to need to look for in the control panel.