Lightbulb What front end to use to populate db?

I am trying to learn how to build an application that would let me populate a db from the web. What applications are the easiest to use? It would be similar to a inventory system but not entirely. I want to be able to decrement a count an administrator set forth along with what items are available? There would be several administrators.

I'm not sure if I completely understand what you want to do... but I'm thinking some php scripts would solve your problem... they can connect to almost any db... mysql, postgre sql, sql server (on windows machine), etc.

Asp could as well.
    beley

what is php?

what is php and asp? i am new to this. do i need to have the db setup first then build the front end?

try searching google for php+mysql ( mysql = db, php = language for querying DB (not just that))

If you are new to code and learning how to create database applications there are several places to learn on the web, but having a book on hand for reference is allways best.

One I could reccomend for beginners is:

MySQL/PHP Database Applications
    By
    Jay Greenspan and Brad Bulger

This book will take you step by step in building simple to semi advanced programs and give you a good start on creating your own.

Also visit www.hotscripts.com

This is a great resource for downloads of programs and most are offered for free. You may even find one that is similar to what you want to create.

thank you angel78 and easysite, i appreciate the help!!!!!!!

Yep PHP and MySQL are what you are probably after.

Here is a good place to start!
    http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=18699

do i have to have a HTTP server running to try my PHP scripts?

you need PHP on the server too

www.apache.org www.php.net www.mysql.com get

win32 zips and install them = just read the Install.txt it is really simple to do, then get few tutorials from the net and you are ready to start

Or better yet, if you are wanting to develop and test out your scripts in windoze, then download and unzip the phpdev bundle in the root directory of your C: drive

www.firepages.com.au

freakysid, is that on the PHP site as well? that is what i am trying to do.

If you are new to web development, you have a huge learning curve ahead. As much as I prefer Python over PHP, ASP, JSP etc, I agree with the PHP / MySQL comments. Best to stick with something that the masses are also using.

You should become familiar with hotscripts.com and the like - search and find a simple script that sounds similar to what you want to do, download, install, and study it. Check out a few. See how they are structured. Learn from them. Perhaps consider modifying something that exists already.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

I think I would like to throw a spanner in the works. Access/ASP is the way to go. Simply because Access is something a lot of people know the basics around. Why learn two things when you can just learn ASP.

Access also gives the user the security of not having to faff around with SQL to as great an extent creating the tables.

If your usin access in a web enviorment!!!!!
    LOL I can't even finish..... the thought of it is killin me!!!!!

Not at all, Access Is by far a good database environment. It works fine and it's just the rediculouse anti-Microsoft crap that makes people just reproduce the MS is ****e bolox.