Building an EL Cheapo Server.

I plan on building a server, for under $400. Hopefully.... Basically I will be using the most played out & out of date hardware around. My overall goal, is to force myself to learn linux. I really didnt know much about computers in the pentium 1, days, other than the fact I had a computer, and knew how to access the internet, and a little VB programming

So I am not sure AT all about compatibility, just looking for an old guru to give me some advice. Will this setup be compatable and drivers etc for free bsd.

Pentium 1 Pro 200 MHZ, 512k Cache
    Seagate 4.5GB SCSI3SCA 3.5LP CHEETAH
    PC-100 Memory, 256MB memory.
    I already have an old video card, sound card for ISA slot...

I do however, need to find a motherboard... I cant seem to find one on price watch... Thats basically my question, I need a motherboard, cant Find one, it must support SCSI, have at least 2 pci slots, 2-3 ISA slots, and support 128mb+ memory.

Im sure everyone is confused by now, but... Hopefully someone can help me out
    Linux junkie | steward.io

I just bought a Pentium 200 mmx, 64 ram and 3.6gb hd w/sound/vid/mobo for $35. Hunt around, some people just want to free some space in their cupboards.
    Andrew Walenczykiewicz
    StyleMy.com

Yep, cupboard looking is good.

I borrowed an old P2 266 from work, put in a larger drive and did a lot of searching here and on google for tips.

Lats...

I thank my Lord for all His wonderful blessings.

I don't think I have a server that's faster than 350mhz, but all of them have at least 128 megs ram.

You can do just about anything with an old 66mhz 486! Those are the best to play with. You screw something up really bad, just start over.
    - joey

Originally posted by Joey
    I don't think I have a server that's faster than 350mhz, but all of them have at least 128 megs ram.

You can do just about anything with an old 66mhz 486! Those are the best to play with. You screw something up really bad, just start over.
    Or you can throw it down the stairs.

We were playing with an old 486 once that decided not to work properly so I threw it down the stairs... it made a hell of a racket

Currently our main fileserver is a Pentium 100 - has about 10gb space, etc. and runs fine with Linux (48mb ram). Cost US$40.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net

Haha, awesome, at one point in time, im sure we all have wanted to throw the computer down the stairs, and or take a louieville slugger to it.

Where do you guys recommend I look for an old pentium pro server. I found some on ebay, but these people are asking WAY to much. I would spend $200 at the most, now that I realize, I will have to put the other $200 towards monitor, keyboard, etc etc... Maybee a dual system with 1MB cache that would be cool. Let the links fly

for $400 u can get a decent workstation!

I bought one of these a couple weeks ago to use as a Linux box:

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp...WRK410PII400-2

They don't have any in-stock now, but I've seen these on eBay occasionally for $160+. Two built in SCSI controllers, ethernet, sound... same mobo used in some of the Dell Poweredge servers.

Originally posted by vigor
    Where do you guys recommend I look for an old pentium pro server. I found some on ebay, but these people are asking WAY to much. I would spend $200 at the most, now that I realize, I will have to put the other $200 towards monitor, keyboard, etc etc... Maybee a dual system with 1MB cache that would be cool. Let the links fly
    If you have a university or college nearby, they tend to have surplus stores that are open to the public. You can (I certainly have) bought a bunch of $5-20 computers. Monitors for $10. And the great thing is they usually have nics in them already.

Regards,

Jeff

that pricing rocks!! Don't post it here, or someone will buy a few and offer dedicated servers here!

Hey guys thanks for the 411. Haha, yea I know I could get a workstation for $400. However I have an newish computer, I will be upgrading (mainly monitor), and I will be taking this 5 year old 15" monitor, that used to be white, and going to use it for the el cheap system.

Originally posted by shaunewing
    Or you can throw it down the stairs.

We were playing with an old 486 once that decided not to work properly so I threw it down the stairs... it made a hell of a racket
    I couldn't help but laugh at that one. I think we've all been tempted to throw a computer down the stairs now and then but I think this is the first time I've heard of anyone actually doing it. I think most people are too concerned that it may damage their stairs.

vigor, Just a tip for when you are setting up the server, make sure you download binaries whenever possible. I don't think you'll want to compile to much software from the source, unless you are a very patient person. (Time frame obviously depends on the software but generally speaking..)

Originally posted by vigor
    What part of the country are you in? I have a couple of P Pro 200mhz servers... 256 meg ram and 4 x 4gig scsi hot swappable drives with dual power supplies.... that I don't need SO damn heavy though.. I'd hate to ship them.

Email me for details as pricing or further discussion would be against this forum