hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : How to update more than one server

Forum Jump

How to update more than one server

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

How to update more than one server

Hey friends

I am with 13 servers in the planet. It would like to know it has as it updates them in a way simpler that I am doing. I update 1 for 1.

Sorry my english.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Old
Always Learning...

Are they Linux Servers or Windows?

Are you using any Control Panel?

Old

Hey

Sorry, I forgot to write these information in post previous.
I use Linux in all machines and use WHM.

Despite I use Linux in all machines, in case I bought a server windows, would it be possible to update more than one for time?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Old
Always Learning...

Most of the control panel has got the ability to upgrade system softwares using cron or scheduling.

Explore WHM and you will see that you can set it up to upgrade itself on regular basis.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Is what you want a mass management script. One where you run a command from a mother server that will log into all other servers at once and run that command on all servers.

Is that what you are wanting to do?

For instance I have mine set up so that when I want to run for example a update on mod_security I can type the command and it will run it on all servers at once.

Old
WebHosting Master

Maybe you can setup 1 server to perfection, then rsync it to the rest.

Then afterwards, keep doing rsyncs to keep the config/changes intact on the other servers as well.

Old

From i understand cpanel has a global time that if you server is on automatic updates it will sync with cpanel at this time well with my 5 servers ive noticed they all update at midnight uk time every night and there in different location this may not be the same for you i dont know its just a theory

Old
Web Hosting Master

Cpanel updates via cron nightly if you set it for auto updates but that is not what he is wanting to do.

There are many times you need to run the same command on all servers, I think what he wants to avoid is having to log into each server one at a time and run the command.

Old

No i mean i have upcp alerts delivered to my email ok i dont log into the server to do them it does it sutomatically but i always recieve the emails at the same time for each server

Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techark View Post
Cpanel updates via cron nightly if you set it for auto updates but that is not what he is wanting to do.

There are many times you need to run the same command on all servers, I think what he wants to avoid is having to log into each server one at a time and run the command.
Techark

It is exactly that that I want to do. It would like to just to type once and sweep all the other servers automatically. Thus, I would go to avoid have to keep updating one for one.

Old
Community Liaison

* Moved to Technical and Security Issues....

Sirius

Old
Engineer

The simple answer is scripts.

To execute on all servers you are going to need to use keys for ease of use and then you can just for loop the list of servers.

For example I normally do something like this,

# for i in `cat /etc/servers | head -n 8`;do $(/root/execute $i "uname -r");done
2.6.21.3-admingeekz
2.6.21.3-admingeekz
2.6.21.3-admingeekz
2.6.19.2-grsec
2.6.21.3-admingeekz
2.6.21.3-admingeekz
2.6.21.3-admingeekz
2.6.19.2-grsec

with /root/execute just using ssh from the command line to specify which key to use (the keys are stored as the hostname) and then which port etc.

It's one of the easier methods, you can also use cronjobs but you might want to stay away from that route.

What exactly do you want to "update" as such?

Check our wordpress varnish plugin. Contact us for quote: sales@admingeekz.com

Old

Well, I would like to update the system whenever it has an alert. I use RedHat and am written in newsletter. Whenever it arises a bug, I have to update of one for a. So, I wanted whenever it was necessary to update, update all of an unique time.

Old

Please, someone could help.

Any hint / article / tutorial of how to do to update all the servers at the same time.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

You need to write a shell script to accomplish this task. Develop a shell script that performs the "update" and write another script that will log into each servers and download the update script and runs it. In this way, you can run the update on all servers. Most of the system administers, I for one, follow this method to perform a task on multiple servers.

||
Setup Enterprise Servers:: Server Security :: Server Administration On Demand

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
WHMCS Encourages Users to Upgrade as Part of Important Security Update Web Hosting News 2014-08-27 12:05:55
Update: Broken Cable Leaves Some Internet Customers in East Coast Region Offline Web Hosting News 2014-01-09 19:10:58
Google Updates Third Party Apps to Improve Security Web Hosting News 2013-11-20 14:52:06
Linode Updates Cloud-Based Load Balancer Service with SSL Support Web Hosting News 2013-11-08 11:50:09
Email Outage Hits Intermedia Users, Network Issues to Blame Web Hosting News 2013-09-04 10:37:28