Premium Hosting in Washington DC

Hello,

i've to advice a business partner about a shared/semi-dedicated hosting provider that is fast and hassle free both from europe and usa.

I'd like to have the names of some hosting providers located in Washington DC area, or NY/NJ/Boston at least (savvis connection is a definite advantage).

Price not an issue at all, but required bandwidth does not justify a managed dedicated server (that would give better placing options) so i'd rather explore shared hosting solutions before.

In my experience these north/ east-coast locations give the best performance in terms of latency, speed and packet loss, when connecting from europe and asia, while retaining excellent performance when accessed from the US: and this thoughts are backed by as all my tests, showing that the first hop for most european cable providers is washington dc.

Any help is greatly appreciated :-)

Thank you.

I've done some extensive research and test, and it seems like Equinix Datacenter at Ashburn, VA, with just 1 hop from Paris, it's at least as good as Washington,DC locations ...

I was looking at media-layer, but on their website unfortunately they claim " Newly registered accounts are provisioned in LAX1 (Los Angeles). " :-(

So broadening a bit my research, any advice about hosting companies actually hosting in Savvis-DC / Voxel-NJ / Equinix-Ashburn or similar "1hop to Europe" locations, are greatly appreciated.

An extensive google search didn't lead me to anything decent.

Good morning Johnny,

There's a few providers I know of that operate out of Ashburn Equinix including 'DefenderHosting', the company behind great names like PowerVPS.

(Actually, horrible names literally but great providers )
    Personally I wouldn't limit myself just to the eastern coast. These days latency across the continent is fairly minimal and completely unnoticeable when it comes to basic browsing.

Your users will still be able to fetch amazing speeds despite the location. Connections to Asia are made from the West as well so that 'overall' speed is still retained no matter which coast you choose.

I'm a fan of centralized though Chicago is where it's at!

Defender Hosting website seems under mantainance, i'll have a look if came back online soon.

Well, you have a point when saying geo location is not everything, what really matters is the datacenter, but in the past months i've noticed very few datacenter in the middle-west and west to have a decent connection with southern europe :-(

Just to make an example from my 10mbit optical fiber connection in Italy (10-20ms ping to most mainland european locations and 40ms to london docklands), some US datacenter are really fast, like 3 hop to the USA ( Milan-Level3 -> Paris-Level3 -> Datacenter ) where in place of Level3 there could also be Telia, Tiscali, CW, depending on the datacenter, and score a 120-130ms latency.

Some other datacenters, like Scottsdale's Godaddy and Chicago Steadfast are still at a decent 180-200ms, going through london .. time warner, cogent.. so on

Some others datacenters like Dallas, Los Angeles, Portland, Seattle, are 300 to 400ms away with sometimes 1% packet loss too :-|

Trust me, i've tried several.

Just to make you an example my smtp connection with dallas times out 1 each 2 email messages sent, so i'm using gmail auth-smtp ...
    And that's not a temporary issue, as digging in local italian forum i've seen people complaining about dallas latencies since 2004! :-|

Now, this is not a big problem for me (infact my personal website and incoming email is at colo4dallas and honestly i couldn't care less about speed, i value other things in a provider): as you have a point when saying that half a second while browsing is not important at all.

But when you're looking for the best speed, then some datacenters are not an option. People nowadays with 10-20mbit connections are used to instant-loading websites, and likes their website loading blazing fast, especially when they're willing to pay a lot of money. :-)

Why not go to something like London Docklands, then ? Because price/quality ratio is at least 200% still better in the US, especially for niche markets, and with a so weak $$ this is especially true.

[Still can't explain how big players like google, located in the US west coast achieves 45ms from italy, maybe the do some kind of ip-anycasting and have servers in europe, i guess, couldn't be real otherwise].

Defender hosting should work just perfect for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lnxcode View Post
    The Virginia area has some hosts as well that could work out... Defender Hosting is in the same D.C as we are.... about 10 cages down to be honest
    Ahh, hey neighbor. What cage # are you? Which cage of ours are you closest to?

10 cages can be a small distance, or pretty large, depending on what 10 cages you are talking about.

Hi there,

The "Defender Hosting" brand is mainly being used for our enterprise level solutions for companies that don't need a splashy website, etc. (Companies needing load balanced, clustered solutions and such.) The website for Defender itself has been coming soon for quite awhile now. We've just ended up with higher priorities. But if you check out the other brands, you'll find the info ya're most likely seeking.

Our VPS products are at www.powervps.com, and shared/reseller hosting are under www.power360hosting.com. It's all the same company (owned by Defender Technologies Group), but seperate brands.

Hope that helps!
    Rob Yates
    Sales Engineer
    PowerVPS / Virtacore
    Virtacore Systems, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by TomK View Post
    Ahh, hey neighbor. What cage # are you? Which cage of ours are you closest to?

10 cages can be a small distance, or pretty large, depending on what 10 cages you are talking about.
    We've got a presence in a couple of datacenters... since eq is like you have to go here as we have no space for you in G? lately moving all over to the new building which has the higher density 80AMP distribution (I find it confusing since they have 2 names for every building in Ashburn)