Read if you're considering Nocster or BurstNet...

After signing up at Nocster for their "Brick #1" reseller plan, I got no confirmation that the order went through. After 12 hours, I sent an email to their sales department to find out what was going on:
    Hello Sales, I signed up yesterday for Resale Brick #1 with one IP block of 10. I haven't received any kind of response through Email since signup. I will be using ******.net.Please check the status of my signup.
    Twelve hours later, no reply.

I called the toll free number, selected option #7 for Sales. The response:
    NOCSTER: "This is Support. Sales is not here right now."
    ME: "When will they be there?"
    NOCSTER: "I don't know. They're in a meeting. They might be back in a couple of hours."

A couple of hours later: I called back. No one answered. I let it ring for ten minutes while I worked on a client's site. No one answered.

I sent another Email to Sales:
    Hello Nocster-I sent an Email to your sales department almost twelve hours ago through this support form. I copied it to save for later. Here is what it said: Hello Sales, I signed up yesterday for Resale Brick #1 with one IP block of 10. I haven't received any kind of response through Email since signup. I will be using ******.net. Please check the status of my signup.
    Another twelve hours, no reply. I called the toll free number, selected option #7 for Sales:
    ME: "I'd like to check on the status of my order."
    NOCSTER: "This is Support. Sales is not here right now."
    ME: "When will they be there?"
    NOCSTER: "Try back in the morning."
    ME: "Are you aware that at the NOCSTER sight, on the contact page, it says that sales is available 24/7/365?"
    NOCSTER: "No, I wasn't."
    ME: "Well, it does."
    NOCSTER: "Okay. You can try sending an Email"
    ME: "I've already sent two with no reply."
    NOCSTER: "Okay." (pause)
    ME: "Okay, I'll try later."

I sent another Email: [QUOTE]Hello Nocster-
    Time marches on. I have received no reply to the earlier Email, and I tried three times to call Sales for an answer.
    1) This is support. Sales is not here right now.
    2) (Several hours later) No answer. I let it ring about 100 times.
    3) (just got off the phone) This is support. Sales is not here right now. Try calling back in the morning.

At this address:
    http://www.nocster.com/contact.shtml,
    I found these words:
    24/7/365 Toll Free Phone - SALES ONLY 1-877-BURSTNET

Now I want a refund. If you have begun setting up my account, or have it set up, cancel it and reverse the charges on my credit card.

You have not lived up to your claims.
    ==============================
    Today, no reply to that Email. I called Nocster, selected option #7 for Sales:
    NOCSTER: "BurstNet."
    ME: "Is this Sales or Support."
    NOCSTER: (stuttering) I... uh... (chuckles)... which one did you want?"
    ME: (no reply)
    NOCSTER: "This is Support."
    ME: "Can I talk to Sales."
    NOCSTER: "Just a minute. I'll transfer you." (transferred)
    NOCSTER: "Hello?"
    ME: "Is this Sales."
    NOCSTER: "Yes."
    ME: "I'm trying to check on the status of my account."
    NOCSTER: "What's your name?"
    ME: "My name is ***** ********. I signed up for the Brick #1 Reseller Package using ******.net."
    NOCSTER: "Just a Minute. (pause) It'll be setup in an hour."
    ME: "Cancel it."
    NOCSTER: "Cancel it?"
    ME: "I sent an Email last night asking you to cancel this account."
    NOCSTER: (talking to someone else) "He wants to cancel it now... cancel it. Okay, it's cancelled."
    ME: "Can I expect to see a charge on my credit card?"
    NOCSTER: "No, it won't be processed."
    ME: "Thank you."

I'll bet the credit card was charged and I will have to pay my bank to reverse the charges.

In all fairness, the whole fiasco was my own fault. I read everything in this forum about NOCSTER, and BURSTNET. I called Sales there before signing up. The conversation went something like this:
    ME: "I was reading in the forums at WHT that BurstNet has been having all kinds of problems with uptime."
    NOCSTER: (stuttering)... uh... well... we have had some problems in ... uh... the past couple of weeks... but those issues are resolved..."
    ME: "So if I signup for a reseller account, I can expect good uptime?"
    NOCSTER: "Yes."
    ME: "Okay. Thank you." (What I should have said was: "Okay, thank you, I'll sign up... I'm a born sucker."

That's my experience with "HUCKSTER". Buyer Beware.
    =========
    (EDITED AFTER I MADE THIS POST)

Five minutes after posting the above, I received the following Email message from Burstnet:

> Hello *****,
    >
    > We received your order, and it will be fulfilled within a few hours.
    We apologize for any delay that this has caused you, and have taken measures
    to ensure shared hosting accounts are setup within 24 hours, including
    weekends. If you have any questions, please feel free to give us a call.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > --
    > Matthew McCormick
    > Customer Service Manager
    > BurstNET - The Speed the Internet Travels
    > Toll Free 24/7/365 Support: 1-877-BURSTNET
    > Phone (570) 343-2200, Fax (570) 343-9533

My reply:
    This is the first response you've made to several Email messages I sent.
    The last Email I sent requested you to cancel this account and issue a
    refund. I just spoke with Sales there, and requested the account be
    cancelled. It was cancelled while I was talking with Sales. Sales said
    that my credit card would not be charged.

Now, after all this, suddenly you send this Email to confuse matters even
    more. I have kept records of every correspondence. I am sending a letter
    of complaint to the Attorney General's office in the state where BurstNet is
    doing business.
    Last edited by the-muse; 07-17-2002 at 11:22 AM.
    Mothers of the world unite! Spank your sons and make them quit fighting...

thats pretty funny... we should make up a thread for all funny/stupid support calls.. Anyway thats what happens when a company does not communcate the right way..

the-muse,
    Sorry about your story. Burst is known for this sort of thing. Good luck.

I think 'any' company with a rash of new signups and launching a new division could be considered prone to a mistake here and there.
    I have had a server at Nocster since they first started offering servers. I have received nothing but prompt, courteous, and professional responses to any query.
    It's quite possible that your experience was a simple lack of communication. It happens with any big business.
    I'm sorry you had problems. But, there are probably more like me that have had none.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I find it funny that some people really like their services and others don't ...

I guess every company is like this=P
    Orlando Magic--> 05-06 CHAMPS

Wow, I used to see a lot of burst problem. Then Matt came along, and I had hopes, but the complaints of nocster has been quite frequent.

Not that I plan to get a server with them, but it is rather disappointing.

Peter

To SoftWareRevue...

It's quite possible that your experience was a simple lack of communication. It happens with any big business.
    No offence, but the words "quite possible" is "quite an understatement". A more accurate description would be "extremely obvious".

"...simple lack of communication." ? Simple? There was nothing simple about it. Did my post seem hard to understand? I don't think have a problem communicating. I hope not. Does it seem that I have a problem communicating? Are you suggesting perhaps that NOCSTER didn't understand my communications, therefore it's okay for them to just ignore me? When you send several Emails, and they go unanswered, and you make several phone calls and go in circles, there is nothing "simple" about that process. When a company posts on its site for the world to see: "24/7/365 Toll Free Phone - SALES ONLY 1-877-BURSTNET", then you can't reach anybody at that number, there is nothing "simple" about that communication. I call it "fraud", and "deceptive trade practices."

Furthermore, I feel that your statement that "It happens with any big business." is a gross generalization. I disagree. I will make another generalization: It does NOT happen with any big business. It might happen with "some" big businesses, so please keep your defence of HUCKSTER more specific. I have customer relationships with several big businesses where this kind of ineptitude never happens. Not once in ten years.

I'm glad your experience with the HUCKSTER NOCSTER is pleasant for you. But I stand by my claim. If NOCSTER is hosting your server, then "yourserversucks.com".

You further state: I think 'any' company with a rash of new signups and launching a new division could be considered prone to a mistake here and there.
    I don't think so. It only proves the company is incapable of effectively planning for such things.

I read all the posts about how financially successful this company is, as if that was a measure of their business ethics. So was WORLDCOM.

I restate for the record: I should have listened to all the negative reviews in WHT about this company.
    Mothers of the world unite! Spank your sons and make them quit fighting...

I have had good luck with Burst.Net
    There have been some DOS attacks.
    And a router failure.
    But overall they have been extermely helpful when I have called. Even at three in morning.

However, I did have some serious lag time with them on the issuse of a ssl cert. Not once but twice.

Oh well.
    Thom Jenkins
    [email protected]
    http://www.thirdbrain.net
    660-727-2108

Re: To SoftWareRevue...

Originally posted by the-muse
    . . . . . . . . . . If NOCSTER is hosting your server, then "yourserversucks.com". . . . . . . . .
    LOL . . . . . . Well, sure. I can see how your experience with sales directly reflects on server performance. Sure. I can see that. It's simple.

Re: Re: To SoftWareRevue...

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    LOL . . . . . . Well, sure. I can see how your experience with sales directly reflects on server performance. Sure. I can see that. It's simple.
    yes it makes complete sense now....

I've said it before, and I'll say it again -- never judge a company by their sales department. I'd rather see a company defort their time and effort to existing customers.
    Jay » [email protected] • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

It's simple. I think they are a bit understaffed. Probably trying to remain or become profitable. That is none of my business though.

I think they need a few more tech support guys and a good sales person that knows their technology. That should do the trick.

Re: Re: To SoftWareRevue...

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    I've got a server there. According to Servers Alive It's been unreachable 35 times out of 593 checks today since noon.

My servers in other data centers as well as cnn and google which I have set up in Servers Alive have been unreachable exactly 1 time since noon.

They're having A N O T H E R router problem all day.

Thank you for this message The-muse