HTML compression in PHP

Hi!

Has anyone used a tool called Absolute HTML compressor? It's a windoze program that reduces a HTML file down by 10-20%, by removing extra white space, and unecessary new lines.

I was wondering if anyone has used or developed a PHP function that achives a similar result?

Cheers,
    Infinite
    Do'h!

If you ad ob_gzhandler to yout php.ini all PHP prased pages will be automatially compressed by gzip if the clients browser supports it.

; You can redirect all of the output of your scripts to a function. For
    ; example, if you set output_handler to "ob_gzhandler", output will be
    ; transparently compressed for browsers that support gzip or deflate encoding.
    ; Setting an output handler automatically turns on output buffering.
    ;output_handler =
    output_handler = ob_gzhandler

Originally posted by Starhost
    If you ad ob_gzhandler to yout php.ini all PHP prased pages will be automatially compressed by gzip if the clients browser supports it.

Thanks for the tip Starhost , but gzip compression is already enabled, I'd just like to see if I can compress the HTML before gzip does, so if the browser won't support gzip, it will still be slightly compressed

Also, I guess gzip would compress a HTML page more, that's been compressed/optimised already?

Cheers,
    Infinite
    Do'h!

Hmm thats interesting...Id like to know if anyone has used this tool as well.

This is what I've got so far, it removes line returns, and multiple white space.
    Would anyone know how to remove HTML comment tags?
    Code:
    <?php

function callback($buffer) {

// Strip newlines and extra white space,
    // not yet sensitive to textarea tags

$search = array ("'([\r\n])+'",         // Strip out newlines
                     "'[\s][\s]'"); // Strip out multiple white spaces

$replace = array ("",
                      "",
                      "");

return ( preg_replace ($search, $replace, $buffer) );

}

ob_start("callback");

?>
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <html>
    <body>
    Test    page 
    <BR>

<BR>

ho ho ho    !</body>

</html>
    <?php

ob_end_flush();

?>
    I've had a go at removing <!-- --> tags, but with no result so far, any help is much appreciated

The above code brings my homepage down by 3%, not much, but the results will be much better on larger pages

TIA,
    Infinite
    Do'h!

Originally posted by esdjco
    Hmm thats interesting...Id like to know if anyone has used this tool as well.
    The tool actually does more than I want, this is what is listed in the help file
    • Merge lines.
      Remove unnecessary whitespace characters.
      Remove unnecessary quotation marks. For example, <table BORDER="0" CELLSPACING="0" CELLPADDING="0" align="center"> will be converted to <table BORDER=0 CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 align=center>.
      Replace some tags with the short ones - replace STRIKE tags with S, STRONG with B and EM with I.
      Remove HTML comments. The comments within the scripts and styles aren't removed.
      Remove <!DOCTYPE ...> tags.
      Remove meta tags. You can specify names of the meta tags to remove.
      Create backups. If this option is ON backups of the optimized files are created in a new folder.

But I don't want to remove all of these, just line returns and white space (and HTML comments)

Cheers,
    Infinite
    Do'h!