Planning for the long haul

I am in the planning stages of becoming a hosting reseller. In the initial phase, outsourced support is pivotal to the plan and somewhat limits my choices.

I have been seriously considering the reseller plans at webaxxs.net, both because they offer clients 24/7 web-based support and because I have used them in the past for my own sites with great satisfaction. They also offer a very comprehensive featureset which I think adds a lot of value.

Looking ahead, I see that as I progress with the reseller plans and am able to support myself from this income, it starts to make sense to get a dedicated server and perhaps co-locate it somewhere else. The problem is that if I migrate to another system/location, I risk losing the features offered by OLM/Webaxxs. I can't just change the rules of the game for current clients.

The other path seems to be to get something along the lines of Splashhost and dovetail it with bobcares.com, but I'm not crazy about the idea.

Anyone who has some opinions to offer and who has faced these questions before I would love to hear from. Thanks.

Just a quick question. Why dont you try doing the tech support your self, it isnt actually that much work.

Originally posted by SplashHost.com
    Just a quick question. Why dont you try doing the tech support your self, it isnt actually that much work.
    Well, for two reasons: Time and expertise. The main reason is time, since I still work full-time for an evil empire, many of my hours are already occupied. As far as expertise, I am a Windows admin and am still climbing the curve of Linux admin, which will be the host platform.

Why outsource your support? That's just another bill to ad to the pile. The company you resell for SHOULD provide you with the support you need. Most support you'll be able to handle yourself (ex. I just changed my nameservers, I can't see my site...why not?) Obviously those types of questions you can answer yourself...and those type of questions make up 80% of all questions In the event of a question you can't answer, your reseller provider should have e-mail support for you, you simply ask them, and relay the answer back to your customer.

Personally, I admire justageek's commitment to outsourcing his support. At $2 per month per account, BobCares seems like a relatively inexpensive solution that will remove a lot of headaches.

I mean, maybe he doesn't want to compete strictly on price and be the super lowball price host. Even so, $2 per doesn't add a lot to the cost of a reseller account. I imagine I could resell a $1 per month account (100 MB, 1GB xfer, Plesk) for $5.95 per month and even with BobCares on top I'd still make $3 per.
    I thank my Lord for all His wonderful blessings.

I personally plan on Both!!!!!!!!!
    I will handle all aspects of support that I can...
    Annoying everyday support ppl will be pushed off to someone like bobcares. This way you don't have to spend 2$ x 500 clients
    when only 50 of them need support past first week or so.
    Just my theroy on it.....

I just do it myself - I already know enough people who would like to help me as contractors so that I can easily grow without worrying about being able to support my customers. As I know those people for a long time I have confidence in my business

Re: ...

Originally posted by Chaps
    Why outsource your support? That's just another bill to ad to the pile.
    Because I can't answer tickets fast enough. Say I go to work at 8:00 A.M. (while I'm building the business and still working a day job). A ticket comes in at 8:30 A.M. I wouldn't be able to answer it until at least 6:00 P.M. That's too long for a ticket to stay unanswered.

justageek you are on the right track...

Good luck
    www.SURRENDERONLINE.com.au
    Perfect Solutions Every Time! Sydney Based :: Dedicated Servers :: Colocation :: Superior Support::Reseller Solutions

damned responsible of you! Good job!!

Originally posted by SplashHost.com
    I would suggest you start out with your reseller account [from whereever] and do the support yourself. You don't need to be a Linux admin. Your reseller account supplier will have all that covered. All you need to do is the general support. 95% of your support will be basic stuff that anyone with good experience online with their own sites could handle.

You'll find it though going to get clients as you're starting out [many thousands of resellers and hosts etc], so a huge influx of clients early on is highly unlikely, unless you're some kind of marketing whiz with a pocket of cash to burn on customer acquisition...

Just my $5,000.00 worth
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!