Thread: puzzle to solve

puzzle to solve

Greetings!

EDIT: (I rephrased the question)

Disclaimer: Domain names mentioned here are fictitious.
    Any similarities are purely coincidental. Thanks.

Say neverland.com gets a reseller account at goodhost.com.
    Goodhost.com offers it a static IP: 123.123.123.1.
    Also goodhost.com instructed it to use the IP addresses:
    123.123.123.1 and 123.123.123.2 as the nameservers which also correspond to ns.neverland.com and ns2.neverland.com

Neverland.com's website is now hosted by goodhost.com using the nameservers ns.neverland.com and ns2.neverland.com.

Neverland.com also acquired another reseller plan from a separate hosting company besthost.com. besthost.com also offers neverland.com a static IP: 456.456.456.19. Besthost likewise instructs neverland.com to use the IP addresses 456.456.456.3 and 456.456.456.4 to use as nameservers which also represent ns3.neverland.com and ns4.neverland.com respectively.

Neverland.com is hosting dummy.com using its reseller account at besthost. Thus, dummy.com is using the nameservers ns3.neverland.com and ns4.neverland.com.

When an email from dummy.com's account say [email protected] is sent to [email protected], the email is not received.

[email protected] ---> [email protected] (no email is received)

However, when an email is sent from [email protected] to [email protected] an email is properly received.

[email protected] -->[email protected] (email arrived)

An investigation was conducted and it was found out that the emails from [email protected] was "redirected" to neverland.com's static IP at besthost.com!

Note that neverland.com is not physically hosted at besthost.com.

The analysis suggested was that when an email from [email protected] which is hosted at besthost's reseller account is sent to neverland.com, the internal server at besthost.com's reseller account is interpreting to be sent to the static IP: 456.456.456.19. and not to neverland.com which is hosted at goodhost.com.

How can this problem be resolved? Is it possible for besthost.com to "instruct" its reseller account's server to redirect the emails to the server of goodhost.com?

Here is the current scenario:

[email protected] ---> Static IP / [email protected]
    (besthost) besthost / (goodhost)

legend: / - outgoing email blocked

Here is the proposal:

Static IP --point to--> static IP
    (besthost) (goodhost)

Is the above proposal possible?
    Last edited by Ganah ALLAN; 07-16-2002 at 01:04 PM.
    I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.

Ok, I think I can understand that ... going to get a drink and will reply again! Need to give my brain a break after that!
    dot5hosting.com
    [email protected]
    "We look after our customers, or someone else will"

i think this would have been easier if you would have just made up names for the companies :-P
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

Originally posted by ntwaddel
    i think this would have been easier if you would have just made up names for the companies :-P
    I was thinking the exact same thing!

One solution is to tell besthost.com to point the MX record for neverland.com to the goodhost.com's reseller IP.

That's a simple change on DNS and it should work fine.

If they are using sendmail, they should also remove neverland.com from the local-host-names file.

To everyone, do you think the suggestion of Roger will work. Don't have any experience with it. We don't want to screw up.
    Please confirm.

Thanks.

Roger, have you tested it before. Sorry about being so "innocent" about this 'cause as of now we are still learning.

I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.

Originally posted by puggy106
    Ok, I think I can understand that ... going to get a drink and will reply again! Need to give my brain a break after that!
    puggy!! Quit drinkin and get back to work. :p

The puzzle has changed; somewhat.

*Pouring me some coffee and gonna get this.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.