Thread: PayPal question

PayPal question

I was wondering if PayPal still requires buyers to sign up for PayPal accounts?

Anyone use PayPal? How does the ease of buying through PayPal compare to six months or a year ago, especially for new buyers (who don't have paypal accounts)?

They still have to sign up. But they have more options than a year ago.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Paypal is fraud ridden

Anything dealing with online payments is fraud ridden.

Yes, but paypal staff dont make it any easier - quite the contrary

Yeah.. I had to... [they] pay me with **** money.. now they just take it out of my account, freeze it and then had the [thingies] to try and say it was organised crime and I had something to do with it.. haha!
    Last edited by Chicken; 07-17-2002 at 08:02 PM.

I used PayPal for about a week. I signed up to pay for services from a company who didn't accept American Express. Well, the service provider went bellyup, they didn't provide any of the services they were supposed to. I filed a complaint with PayPal and they told me tough luck. If I had payed with a CC, I could have simply disputed the charge, and AMEX would have taken care of the whole thing for me.

Then I read about the fiasco that PayPal put Deb from FutureQuest through ...

I would simply avoid PayPal all together. Don't pay for stuff with it, as you have practically no recourse. Don't accept payments with it because PayPal will decided to freeze your account for no good reason.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

I disagree. PayPal is a great company providing a great service. They will not freeze your account for no reason whatsoever, they will not stick it to you without you knowing.

Remember when you signed up reading the Terms of Service? (Because I know if you had an account you must have read and agreed to the terms of service, otherwise you would have to lie on a contract to get the account!) Well that terms of service states that PayPal does not provide any protection for buyers purchasing non-tangible products. Yes this is buyer beware. Believe it or not you might actually have to do some research and try to make a decision yourself!

If they freeze your account, it is for a reason. They are not stupid, they want to make money. They would not just go around holding other people's money for no reason because that would get around pretty quick and with a poor reputation a company is in trouble.

I've been dealing with PayPal for a while now, I think the service is great. You get what they say you get, and they are constantly improving their service. I have a toll free number that I can call and speak directly to their very knowledgable tech support. I even have a number where I can call and speak with my very own account manager - someone who actually is familiar with my history with the company!

The truth is that the world comes with responsability. Some times you have to do a little work for something. The internet has done a good job of lightening the load, perhaps a bit too much.

I'm not saying that anyone is wrong or bad or anything, just one simple fact. You make actions, you must accept the results of those actions. PayPal has not hidden any information from its users, just some people chose not to accept the information.

My suggestion: Offer PayPal for those who want to use it, have another processor (ie HostCharge) for those who don't want to use PayPal The more options you have, the more people who could potentially become clients, right? PayPal is free to get, so why not try it!
    Jordan Bouvier

if not from US $$$

Just be advised that any customer outside of the US must pay to buy something with PayPal for the first time. (it is not free as PayPal advertises!)

Cool

Hi j_rumba,

There is no charge for an international buyer to purchase an item (this changed earlier this year). However, if a credit card is used, the card association will charge currency conversion fees.

Hi hosticle,

Actually, PayPal's fraud rates have been reported at less than half of online averages. Would you mind explaining the comments?

Hi Jay Suds,

I do need to remind that PayPal is a payment service, which means we can't guarantee individuals you are buying from will come through as promised.

-You still have chargeback protection using PayPal if you have an issue with a transaction.
    -We also have a Buyer Complaint Process in place (no charge) to help buyers with disputes, but it does not guarantee recovery from the recipient.

I position the question this way...if you had bought from the person using a check or money order, and the item was cashed by the recipient, what recourse would you have? Very little. The core of these disputes is between the two individuals, not with the payment medium being utilized.

I also need to add that account restrictions are actually pretty rare (compare the size of the user base to the items reported on the internet). They are also entirely resolvable.
    Damon
    PayPal Consumer Relations

We've been using PayPal (along with other payment methods) for over 2 years...and processed around $100,000 through PayPal alone. We've only had one problem with PayPal involving a $400 transaction.

On the flip side, we've had more problems with various merchant accounts that I can count on both hands.

Overall, I would recommend PayPal.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

They all have their place

The argument will long continue over Paypal, just as it does over other processors. My personal opinion is that the various processors all have their place. The difficulty is clearly defining which ones to use for what businesses or services and where to draw the line. I use merchant accounts, 2checkout, revecom, paypal, ebay, c2it, and bidpay...all for different businesses and purposes. That allows me to stay totallly within the guidelines and best practices of each.

As to paypal, I have long found it the favored vehicle for auction payments. Likewise, I use it to pay sub-contractors who do design and programming work for me. Last, I do use it for hosting on some of my sites. Why? Because there is a group of customers out there who want to pay by paypal and that is the only way they are going to buy. My choice was simple...accomodate the customer or turn the business away.

I must say I have personally never had any problem with paypal. However, I know others have, so I don't pretend it can't happen to me. I just limit my exposure.

I just limit my exposure.
    That's all we can ever do!!!!!

PayPal has worked out quite good for us. There are a good number of PayPal faithfuls out there that like to use it.

The Instant Payment Notification integrates well with our back end allowing for automated account creation.

My advice would be to offer another cc payment option for customers along with PayPal, but don't limit yourself by not accepting it. We do more business through our other processor (HostCharge), but PayPal is constantly improving their system and the recent purchase by ebay should bring financial stability to the company for years to come.

Jamey

I have to agree that paypal is the best online payment service. I have used it almost since the beginning and have no problems at all (knocking on wood). We also have our own merchant account, so we can process even more cards than paypal offers.

We always encourage people to pay us thru paypal. It is just a few cents higher than our merchant accounts, and I don't feel as safe running a card without having a signed receipt by the customer. It makes it much easier for the customer to do a chargeback.

Originally posted by paypaldamon
    Hi j_rumba,

There is no charge for an international buyer to purchase an item (this changed earlier this year). However, if a credit card is used, the card association will charge currency conversion fees.
    Don't forget the fee charged when adding a credit card to your Paypal account - something that must be done before you can buy something (and if you only signup for a particular purchase then it could be considered a charge).

I was charged US$1.95 when I added a credit card in late February/early March this year (although US$1.50 of it was available in my Paypal account to spend).

--Shaun.
    Shaun Ewing
    http://shaun.net

I personally hate paypal. They froze my account with no reason. After calling them numerous times, e-mailing them, and everything else you could think of, they all told me they had no idea why it was frozen. I finally gave up and sent the fax stuff in. About 6 months later I got an email saying my faxes were too light. I'm just totally fed up with them and wouldn't recommend them to anyone who is serious about online business.

I personally cannot say that I've ever had a problem with paypal, and I'm hoping that now Ebay is working on buying them (too bad it's gonna take 6 months) it should become even better. At least they are taking steps to making it friendlier for residents outside the USA. Now if only they offered the actual currencies for the different countries... someday...
    AC Host Canada Affordable Canadian Web Hosting Solutions
    Shared Hosting | Email Hosting | DNS Hosting | Custom Plans Available

I've been with Paypal for 1 year 8 months already. No problems so far *knocks wood* The only issue I've with them is the rotten exchange rates that they give me for my S$ bank...

EG: They charge S$2.75 to wire my payment (originally US$1.50)
    So that means that to them, US$1 = S$1.833333...

And today, my exchange rate is US$1 = S$1.67

So... For us International users, they will always be a turnoff, but we can't escape using them since Paypal is getting so big now. Sigh...