Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    OOPS! DELETE THIS

Because i requested it to be locked to end the useless flaming from both sides..

Originally posted by edude
    Because i requested it to be locked to end the useless flaming from both sides..
    I see.

Originally posted by edude
    . . . . . . . Thanks for the explanation. . . . . .
    You mean the following explanation?
    Originally posted by headsurfer
    . . . . . . . . "he who has the gold makes the rules.". . . . . . . .

I've learned lots along the way too. And, I believe, the most important is, "You lead by example."

If your example is to say, "I have more money than you so . . . neener neener neeeeener" I am about to join the ranks of those that said, "Nothing good can come of this," when RackShack purchased the forum.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

SoftwareRevue

Sorry for the off topic spat; now on with the show.

Well, maybe this thread should be cleaned of the debris. As this is such an important subject. It should be a sticky that says, "All newbies read this!"

There are so many things that can go wrong; no matter how careful we are. Mistakes happen. Hardware fails. It's just the facts of life.

If your data is important to you; back it up. And back it up often.

Sorry, i couldn't let SWR have the last post so i will..

So Headsurfer,

Do you as principal of Rackshack feel that you have a duty of corporate responsibility to intervene if a reseller of yours can't make a go of it and/or goes on the lam. If this information was known to you would you:
    1. Sit back, wait for it to happen and do nothing.
    2. Sit back, wait for it to happen, move that resellers clients to other resellers that have their head above water.
    3. Talk to that reseller, and cut them a short-term break until clients are transitioned (take over the server and sell rights to the server and they clients).
    4. Talk to that reseller, and just give them some time 3-months to straighten things out.

As far a backups go...image your site on your computer hard drive. Produce pages locally then up load to the site. Don't publish directly with saving on local hard drive or burning a CD.

Case in point: http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/st...27/story2.html
    In the spring of 2000, three customers of C* Host sued over a server crash in late 1999 that temporarily brought down many of the Web sites that the company hosted. Among other things, the plaintiffs claimed that C* Host broke promises about how often sites it hosted would be operational and how often data would be backed up, among other things.
    The case is now before the state Supreme Court concerning a dispute about whether C* Host must turn over back-up tapes that would give a snapshot of how its system was performing during certain time frames. The justices will decide whether C* Host must provide the tapes to the plaintiffs and, if so, how many they must turn over.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

Rackshack cancels any server which has overdue payments or may have breached their AUP.

Rackshack are cowboys in the dedicated server game, and will go out with alot of money in their hip pocket.

Re: Importance of Customer Maintained Backups

As an "end-user" I can't help but be irritated by the advice below.

Sure, it makes sense on some level to protect yourself. But give me a break! I buy fire insurance for my house but if my house burns down, I don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank to rebuild because I expect my insurer to go belly-up! I don't maintain two cell phones in case one goes on the blink. I don't have two checking accounts with equal amounts of money, just in case... I don't pay my bills twice because I expect that one of the payments will not make it.

I am not arguing the wisdom of keeping backups of important records, but I am strongly AGAINST you all letting the lowest common denominator rule your industry.

If I enter into a business transaction with a webhost, I expect to get what I pay for. I think ANYBODY should have that expectation.

If that host says data will be backed up daily, weekly or monthly, I expect that it will be. I will be responsible for my part (prompt and full payment), you should be responsible for yours. In most cases we have a legally binding contract that sets out these responsibilities.

If your ability to do backups is questionable, DON'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT ANYWHERE IN YOUR SOLICITATIONS OR SIGNUP PROCESS. Say "we don't back up anything, if the power goes out you're site is screwed." Just pleasantly surprise us, after your facility is wiped out by a hurricane, by restoring full backups (that had been stored offsite) to an alternate server across the country that you have previously contracted with (on a reciprocal emergency basis). You will retain each and every customer, and word of mouth will bring more customers.

For those of you that fit into the "resellers and third parties selling hosting services that they may be buying from another company who yet buys from yet another company" group, set some standards for resellers! Make them show insurance or carry a bond so that they won't be able to leave their customers high and dry. You DO have control over that!

I challenge each and every one of you in the hosting business to fulfill your responsibilities, and encourage your colleagues/competitors to do the same. This is YOUR industry. Do not let the lowest common denominator in webhosting services set the expectations for everyone else in the business. The health and longevity of your industry depends on you setting the bar high, not low!

Originally posted by headsurfer
    In todays age of resellers and third parties selling hosting services that they may be buying from another company who yet buys from yet another company, it is the end user that should protect themselves by ensuring that they have a full and complete backup of their data...

...In the end, I want to stress, it is vitally important for end users to maintain full, complete, and recent backups of their data.

god some of you lot really are touchy. get a grip. in light of cw going fritz robert makes a post gently reminding people about the importance of backing up on the forum HE OWNS AND PAID FOR, it wasnt an add for rackshack, it wasnt slating anyone, merely some timely sage words.
    now am i a suckup lets see, do a search on my name back to when rackshack had their new years outage and see what i said then. satisfied ? k right good. any more yapping and bubba pays a visit.
    whilst it is a vaild point that if your host sells you a service witha backup as a feature then it is their responsibility to maintain that data. if they dont, and an act beyond their control and not due to negligence, occurs what then? **** happens. the world is not perfect. if you didnt buy backup then you should perform it yourself. if you buy a washing machine without an extended warranty then its your job to keep some spanners under the sink or a plumbers number next to the phone. we can bandy about crap like that all day and nite but the bottom line is what exists here and now. you can buy with or without backup. with costs more. you are paying your money to someone else to perform an extra service you could perform yourself. if all hosts did it and charged for it then someone would be whining that they want cheaper hosting without backup. this way there is a choice. choice is good. try looking at it from another perspective for a moment.
    --
    Rich

Originally posted by richy
    . . . . . . . you can buy with or without backup. with costs more. you are paying your money to someone else to perform an extra service you could perform yourself. . . . . . . .
    Whether you purchase hosting from someone that performs backups or not; it still is in your best interest to back up your site yourself.
    Mistakes happen. Hardware fails. You can't assume you're safe, just because your host performs any kind of backup service.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Whether you purchase hosting from someone that performs backups or not; it still is in your best interest to back up your site yourself.
    Mistakes happen. Hardware fails. You can't assume you're safe, just because your host performs any kind of backup service.
    Yup, if for some reason the host, says sorry we don't have your backup, all of your valuable files are GONE!

Suckup

Originally posted by richy
    god some of you lot really are touchy. get a grip. in light of cw going fritz robert makes a post gently reminding people about the importance of backing up on the forum HE OWNS AND PAID FOR, it wasnt an add for rackshack, it wasnt slating anyone, merely some timely sage words.
    now am i a suckup lets see, do a search on my name back to when rackshack had their new years outage and see what i said then. satisfied ? k right good. any more yapping and bubba pays a visit.
    whilst it is a vaild point that if your host sells you a service witha backup as a feature then it is their responsibility to maintain that data. if they dont, and an act beyond their control and not due to negligence, occurs what then? **** happens. the world is not perfect. if you didnt buy backup then you should perform it yourself. if you buy a washing machine without an extended warranty then its your job to keep some spanners under the sink or a plumbers number next to the phone. we can bandy about crap like that all day and nite but the bottom line is what exists here and now. you can buy with or without backup. with costs more. you are paying your money to someone else to perform an extra service you could perform yourself. if all hosts did it and charged for it then someone would be whining that they want cheaper hosting without backup. this way there is a choice. choice is good. try looking at it from another perspective for a moment.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue

There are so many things that can go wrong; no matter how careful we are. Mistakes happen. Hardware fails. It's just the facts of life.

If your data is important to you; back it up. And back it up often.
    Isn't this just like common sense. Nonbody had to tell me to keep backups of everything that was important to me, I learned working on a PC running Win95, and the darn thing crashed constantly. It was a lesson I never forgot.

yeah but come on, you know someone would try and sue RS if their server died cos RS did paint in great neon signs that rm -rf isnt healthy for them yes it is always sensible to maintain your own backups. i was merely stating that backup of data is a premium service these days to reduce costs. backuping up costs the host money be it in transfer or in a tape drive etc. this cost is passed on, not everyone wants to pay an extra buck or two a month when theyre only paying a few bucks anyway. horses for courses. some people just cant see beyond their own small view of the world and realise how and why things are the way they are.

edube bubba's on the way. you were warned
    --
    Rich

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12