Thread: RAQ's

RAQ's

are there a lot of companies in the market offering RAQ's nowadays? I believe they have lost a major base lately due to different control panels and cheaper/faster HW

flame is welcome!

There are still quite a few companies offering RaQ's, but not nearly as many as there were when the RaQ3/4's were somewhat modern hardware and the only real control panel offering on the market.

Now with Plesk, Ensim, et al, going on any white box of any configuration, it's hard to justify a premium for a relatively underpowered 300 or 450 Mhz RaQ. The new 550's are a good attempt to regain market share, and not overpriced like the XTR's were, but is it too late? Maybe so. Sun Cobalt is having a hard time balancing the needs of an appliance user with the realistic demands of running a hosting business. It's not realistic to say, 'If you install MySQL, your box is now unsupported and our patches will not work"... when those patches are a month or two behind exploit releases to begin with. While I personally love the RaQ's, and manage quite a few with great success, there is a significant number of discouraged customers out there who find fault with Sun's support more than their hardware. That being said, if you use a stock RaQ, it's a GREAT little workhorse.

Let me put it another way. If all you want to do is have a dedicated machine for hosting your company's website, or even a couple hundred relatively low demand virtual sites, you'll be hard pressed to find a better, more reliable platform considering how easy they are to setup and maintain. If you are a power user running a monster application with 10 billion pages viewed per day, then a RaQ3 or 4 may not be your best choice (a 550 perhaps?) But don't let all the naysayers steer you wrong, the RaQ is a great choice for many applications.

my 0.02,

Brandon

Yes... and no...

Cobalt indeed lost a lot of happy customers due to reasons such as:
    - No up to date hardware
    - No service parts deliverble
    - Control panel doesn't handle MySQL etc...

But, I believe that cobalt can hit back in server buisiness with their new strategy since RaQ550 was released
    - New hardware
    - New control panel
    - Stability
    - Lowered prices...

I see yor comments, but the problem is that they are a bit late, I believe....

ps. also the cheap parts they used to use (I am not sure what they use for their new series)

cheap parts....?

You mean the AMD in their RaQ3 and 4?

Well, RaQ550 is Intel based

Intel based huh? Wouldn't you rather trust SUN hardware to back a world class web server? I am with UV Networks Inc. and thats what we have done. Sun hardware + Solaris 8 + Our browser based GUI + 6 times the performance of a Cobalt RaQ + LOWER PRICES = Next Generation Web server!!!

Hmmm...

Nothing more, Nothing less... you can be ahead of the pack or behind it, your choice.

Originally posted by FiberOptic
    cheap parts....?

You mean the AMD in their RaQ3 and 4?

Well, RaQ550 is Intel based
    that's better. I wonder what HDD and motherboard brand they are using.....

Originally posted by apollo

that's better. I wonder what HDD and motherboard brand they are using.....
    Brand of HDD is seagate I think...

Mobo is something only for RaQ's and isn't available for normal PC's