Phone Systems???

Can anyone recommend a very low end phone system (and cheap) that can handle extentions, voicemail, and is not a full blown PBX system.

what country are you in?

USA.

Does anyone have experience with the CallMaxx phone system?

Merlin...

Hey -

In a previous life, I have used Lucent's Merlin system. Quite nice, but probably more than what your looking for.

Checkout hellodirect.com for what they offer as well. I know they have Bizfon and Talkswitch, both of which you can find on there sites.

I currently use a siemen's system with multiple extensions. Works good, since I don't get many calls. System's always up!

Steve
    Steven Santinelli
    www.sms-hosting.com - Premium Web Hosting
    www.sms-telecom.com - Low cost long distance/800 Service!

lucent

Hi,

I would also recommend lucent. They have huge selection and they will work for most size businesses.

I use Plain Old Telephone system with an advanced voicemail system which I have intergrated with my credit card processing for other-the-phone payments.

I can transfer calls etc using standard phone lines.

There is plenty of software out there which can manipulate your call handling which is a much more inexepensive solution.

We use AccessLine (www.accessline.com). Probably not the best system if all of your people work from the same office, but if you're spread across a the country, AccessLine would probably work quite nicely for you.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

It doesn't get a lot of attention lately, but how about Centrex?

I replaced a Merlin system with Centrex at a former employer's and it was great for us, because it doesn't require you to buy all the hardware.

We have Centrex here, but don't use it now that we have a Linux-based phone system that queues our calls. That was a Godsend.
    http://forums.webhostdir.com/
    All your hosts are belong to us

Our main office uses an NEC Electra system. A few years old but works well (it has optional voicemail but we didn't opt for this option as we have voicemail from the phone company).

Voicemail can be the most expensive part of the system; in some cases it can cost more than the actual system itself.

Of course recommendations depend on how many lines and extensions you need (and if you want proprietary handsets or the ability to use standard two-wire phones).

The Panasonic KX-TD line of systems are quite popular and easy to use (and at reasonable prices). They start at a 308 configuration (3 lines, 8 extensions) and can go up to 1232 (12 lines, 32 extensions). You can even have two of the 1232 units for a 2464 config (24 lines 64 extensions). They're also hybrid meaning they support digital proprietary handsets, analog proprietary handsets and standard telephones. They also have a variety of optional features including ISDN, DID, voicemail, etc. The smaller systems can be installed by anybody with a bit of communications knowledge and a drill.

There are some overviews of the Panasonic systems at http://www.ablecomm.com/sysinfo.htm

Systems then go up the huge systems such as the Lucent Definity. I've used one of these systems in a building I was working in temporarily about 2 years back - it had approximately 7000 extensions and 1000 lines (with a cost to match the size).

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

Has anyone here used any of the software solutions for this?

Software

Hosticle or any body else.

Can you recommend a software which is good for this.

Thanks

I got an old phone system sitting in the floor here. Works great. Has about 20 phones and support for 6 phone lines. I might sell for around 300.

You could try a Cybergenie off of e-bay. Lot's of great features but no support from the company since they folded. There is at least one peer support forum, though.

angel.com

cant beat $9.95 a month

Cool Cybergenie...

Ok, so it's been a while since you put this request in...

During that time, I actually put a bid in on Ebay, and won a Cybergenie phone system, and I've got to tell you... The thing is GREAT for a home office, or small business that only has a couple of lines. It actually calls me on my cell phone when I get messages. I LOVE that!

Also, another SITE you can check out is, virtualPBX.com. They seem to have a real nice product as well.

Hope that helps.

Steve
    Steven Santinelli

Originally posted by justageek
    You could try a Cybergenie off of e-bay. Lot's of great features but no support from the company since they folded. There is at least one peer support forum, though.
    I owned a Cybergenie about 3 years ago when they were still in business. STAY AWAY! The phone system is garbage and will not grow with you.

Why do you think they went out of business ? ;-)
    Alex B.

I would **HIGHLY** suggest Bizfon . I recently purchased one of these systems for one of our offices and it's the best bank for the buck. If any of you are seriousilly thinking of purchasing one of these systems email me and I can give you a contact that can get you the system for about 30% off of what they advertises on their site.
    Alex B.

Originally posted by successful

I owned a Cybergenie about 3 years ago when they were still in business. STAY AWAY! The phone system is garbage and will not grow with you.

Why do you think they went out of business ? ;-)
    Well, yeah, of course it's not going to GROW with me... But, it is great for my business while it is small, and with 3 phones, and the base station it cost less than 100 bucks. Can't go wrong there, even it I don't use it for my business, I can also use it for the house.

As for why they went out of business, I think that one is obvious. Didn't the system go for like 500 or 900 bucks? Not worth that, but definately worth 100.

Steve

And yeah, I like the biz phone systems, and will probably upgrade to one of those next year, or look into leasing a Lucent system, which I know well.
    Steven Santinelli

lucent

I would recommend lucent / avaya - I work with those and they are really friendly and easy to use. I would get a merlin or a used definity

JDT
    ▄▀▄ Jeremy, CEO - Batcave Network
    ▄▀▄ Deals on Hosting, VPS, Domains, Dedicated Servers since 1997
    ▄▀▄ http://www.batcave.net
    ▄▀▄ We always have a deal going - hosting for cheaper than a domain!