Cool $400/m: 10Mbps dedicated bw, no set-up, NYC data center

BQ Internet Corporation is expanding its network in New York City by bringing in a new 100Mbps fiber link to Cogent Communications for internet transit. As many of our web hosting customers have small bandwidth requirements, we do not currently need the full 100Mbps our new connection would provide us. Therefore, we are considering allocating dedicated bandwidth on this link to other companies, either by allowing co-location of servers in our data center rack, or connecting to another NYC location through a DS3.

We are considering:
    US$400/month (no set-up) for 10Mbps of dedicated bandwidth, burstable to 100Mbps; connected via a 100Mbps port on our Cisco Catalyst switch.
    US$30/month (no set-up) per U of data center rack space, connected to battery-protected, generator-backed power.

The target launch date for the completion of the network installation into the data center on Hudson Street (Manhattan, New York City) is the end of this month, plus or minus 3 or 4 business days.

If you have any personal questions or concerns (as you should for something like this...we value quality, and hope you do as well), feel free to email us at info@bqinternet.com, or drop us a private message. We encourage questions and conversations within this thread of the message board.

Thanks.

---
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Last edited by bqinternet; 07-17-2002 at 09:53 PM.

Wasn't your other thread one about considering starting a DC?

BTW, how does 10mbps link, burstable to 100mbps work anyhow, never figured that one out.
    Myles Loosley-Millman - admin@prioritycolo.com
    Priority Colo Inc. - Affordable Colocation & Dedicated Servers.
    Two Canadian facilities serving Toronto & Markham, Ontario
    http://www.prioritycolo.com

Porcupine,

Yes, we posted about building a new data center in the Dedicated Servers forum.

As for bandwidth...dedicated bandwidth means we allocate that amount of bandwidth on our out-going line, so that it is not oversold. If we give you 10Mbps of dedicated bandwidth, we're allocating 10 out of the 100 mbps on the line to you, leaving us 90 to "sell." You may burst up to 100Mbps, cutting into other users' unused bandwidth, but if there are 10 ports on the switch connecting to that fiber line, each port should not drop below 10Mbps.

Thats what i dont understand, if im on port 1 and i burst to 50mbps, then how does every other user get their true 10mbps?

Modern Math!

Yogi Berra math....baseball is 90% mental and the other half is physical....

myles, I don't think you're thinking realistically. Burstable to 50 MBPS means that its' *bustable* to 100 MBPS under optimal conditions. Here's a couple things to consider: If you're using over 10 MBPS on a regular basis, you'll probably have to pay for 2*10 MBPS. If you burst to 30 MBPS for a couple minutes, because of some large downloads, or have to burst for an hour or two a day, it may be alright if other people are not already using the bandwidth.

I'm not sure how such routing metrics would work, but I assume that they would ensure that each user who is not utilizing their full 10 MBPS has the capability to do so, regardless. That means that if I'm bursting to twenty, and another person who needs to use 5 of their 10 MBPS, but can't because of my burst exists, they will be prioritized and get those 10 MBPS.

That's my impression.
    Check Out My Investment Blog - I plan to invest in a diverse portfolio through the next few months. As I make (lose?) money, I'll document my decisions, rationale for them, and their results.

... Hence why i was asking .