Website growing pains. Dedicated server or just larger bandwidth host?

My current host US WARE, is sending me nastygrams that we're busting our bandwidth limit on JHP. Here's the info.

Your traffic in June was 32913514083bytes = 30.65GB.

Your site takes 326MB, and the rest is log files. Towards to end of month your log files take up to 1GB - just for your information.

Regarding the traffic... a deep analysis would be needed to tell what exactly causes the traffic, but we can tell this for sure: over 70% of hits in the log file shows ikonboard. The cpu resources usage that we mentioned is also made by the ikonboard.

end US WARE info.

I've looked at a host that will give me more bandwidth but should I consider a dedicated server now?

The Gold Pro package at webresellers would help ease the pain for a year or two.

http://www.webreseller.net/linuxhosting.htm

For a dedicated server I looked at serverbeach.com

http://www.serverbeach.com/catalog/default.php

and

fastservers http://www.fastservers.net/new.shtml

I hear Rackshack is a nightmare.

Is the "Unlimted Bandwidth" claim that webreseller makes a come on?

I like to have timely tech support that US WARE has given and their server uptime has been pretty good the past year and few months. I'd rather get the lower price with the unmanaged dedicated server.

Any ideas, thoughts?

Thanks for any help, I'm a Norman New guy at this.

Getting a more efficient board than ikonboard is a good place to start. Once you do that, you'll probably be able to survive in a virtual hosted environment.

About the dedicateds, Rackshack has it's horror stories, but since it's the biggest dedicated server provider on the face of the earth, they are bound to have more complaints than others. If you know what you are doing with a dedicated machine, go for it...

Thanks for the reply lightnin.

Any suggestions on a more efficient forum? I know UBB has come out with a new version to address their speed of loading. I see a lot of forums going to PHP.

I'm not real hip with servers but have some horsepower to draw on for support for a dedicated server.

PHPBB is the one I usually recommend to my clients, as it's not only more efficient, but has database conversion scripts so you don't lose the old posts.

Starting from scratch, I prefer Invisionboard, but PHPBB is pretty darn good.

Of course, if you're looking for great forum software and are willing to pay for it, vBulletin (you're soaking in it) is also an option.

FYI update on PHP at Ikonboard and Invisionboard.

Ikonboard's PHP version called Mongoose is due out in the next month or so. No beta can be found. They also just released Perl version 3.1.0

Invisionboard has a converter just completed to convert Ikonboard 2.1.x to Invisionboard. Info at the link.

http://www.invisionboard.com/forums/...&t=10573&st=60

I'm guessing if you could convert both you would go with Invisionboard lightnin?

Thanks for the help.

Ikonboard....ugh.....totally banned over here.
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

Re: Website growing pains. Dedicated server or just larger bandwidth host?

Originally posted by spectr17
    (...)
    Is the "Unlimted Bandwidth" claim that webreseller makes a come on?
    It's "Unmetered Bandwidth", not "Unlimited bandwidth" For the Gold Plan, you've got 75 Gig transfer per month.

I hear Rackshack is a nightmare.
    never had problems (since last year), so they are not a nightmare, thus they have more than 6.000 servers so i guess if one out of 100 isnt satisfied than we have 60 ppl slaming rackshack here but also 5940 other customers that are satisfied, but on the other hand they offer unmanaged servers, but do have very good and user-friendly forum where you can find all you need, so it's up to you

and yes stay away from unlimited or well see you posting few horror stories in a week or two

Originally posted by spectr17
    FYI update on PHP at Ikonboard and Invisionboard.

Ikonboard's PHP version called Mongoose is due out in the next month or so. No beta can be found. They also just released Perl version 3.1.0

Invisionboard has a converter just completed to convert Ikonboard 2.1.x to Invisionboard. Info at the link.

http://www.invisionboard.com/forums/...&t=10573&st=60

I'm guessing if you could convert both you would go with Invisionboard lightnin?

Thanks for the help.
    Most definately! I wasn't aware of that converter. I'll definately start telling clients about that. I've turned several on to Invision and they all love it to death.

How is vBulletin for server resources?

- Peter

Originally posted by phearle
    How is vBulletin for server resources?

- Peter
    actually, it's pretty good.

But don't forget that one powerful server for a very highly visited web forum will be also not sufficient... this is why WHT is hosted on two powerful servers...

Re: Re: Website growing pains. Dedicated server or just larger bandwidth host?

Originally posted by Bot

It's "Unmetered Bandwidth", not "Unlimited bandwidth" For the Gold Plan, you've got 75 Gig transfer per month.
    well if its 75 gig per month then it wouldnt be unmetered either would it?

Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like Invisionboard PHP will be the choice and then I'll take a look at how much server I need when the monthly stats come in.

Originally posted by apollo

actually, it's pretty good.

But don't forget that one powerful server for a very highly visited web forum will be also not sufficient... this is why WHT is hosted on two powerful servers...
    WHT has a mirror on a server but a correctly configured server which has mysql opened a little can handle what WHT does. Our forum is hosted on a server along with hundreds (700) domains including Hostnexus and it never crashes. Thee is always someone on the forum and has 20 people online at one time regularly.

VB rocks!
    Laurence Flynn @ atOmicVPS LTD
    Linux & Windows Cloud Hosting Solutions Powered by OnApp
    Fully Managed [Shared][Reseller][Cloud VPS] [Dedicated]
    Featuring the atOmicSTACK ● Speed ● Performance ● Reliability

I would recommend you switch to PhpBB also. But even with that switch I don't think you or your host is going to like the performance of the site on a shared server for very much longer so you might want to start looking at alternatives now.
    Greg Landis | Founder Jaguarpc - Keeping websites happy since 1998
    Managed IT Solutions - Business hosting | Virtual Private Servers | Cloud VPS Hosting | Dedicated servers | Backup service
    Follow us @ Facebook.com/Jaguarpc | Twitter: @JaguarPC | (888)-338-5261 | sales @ jaguarpc.com