View Poll Results: What type of processor do you prefer?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • AMD

21 52.50%
  • Intel

19 47.50%
  • Other

0 0%

AMD or Intel - Which do YOU prefer?

I dont want to start a big flame war here or anything but I am curious as to who you prefer buying your CPUs from.

Also - if you like one better for workstations and one better for servers, please tell why!

I've always been an AMD guy myself, currently sitting in a room with 2 Athlons and one K6-2 humming away.

So.... Vote away!
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Intel - just because it's the only kind I have ever owned.

Frankly I don't think it really matters. I'm running a 1.4GHz Athlon but I'm positive that I wouldn't notice if someone secretly switched me over to a 1.4GHz Pentium 4.
    Jay » jay@frontdrive.com • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

Originally posted by FDrive
    Frankly I don't think it really matters. I'm running a 1.4GHz Athlon but I'm positive that I wouldn't notice if someone secretly switched me over to a 1.4GHz Pentium 4.
    We've secretly switched FRDrive's 1.4GHz Athlon w/ a PII 233Mhz.

Let's see if he notices ...

I truley prefer AMD over Intel simply from a cost standpoint. For a good study on AMD vs Intel.... Tom's Hardware has done tons of shootouts b/twn the two.

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q2/020402/index.html
    P4 2.4 Ghz VS Athlon XP 2100...
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

AMD for home.

Intel/AMD servers, both good contendors, however AMDs produce more heat than intel. But AMDs are also better priced, and just as fast, if not faster.

AMD for Workstations and AMD for Servers.

There have been many tests run in the past including on Tom's Hardware Page which prove that AMD CPU's outperform Intel hands down. I've used some of the more expensive benchmark programs to test this myself and have always come away finding that an AMD processor with the same MHz as an Intel processor is faster. In every instance I have run dating back to the 233MHz chips.

Even though I believe this to be fact, I still agree that it is everyone's opinion as to which they use or prefer to use. I have a few Intel processor PC's around and have setup many. I can't say they are terrible and if they were, the company wouldn't be around anymore. I just like AMD more than Intel. Pretty simple.
    - Mark

Either is fine for me, but I prefer AMD because you get more bang for the buck. Sure, they run a little hotter, but they're made that way. As long as you have adequate cooling, heat is not an issue.

People that say bad things about AMD processors have either had a bad experience with a motherboard, not the processor itself, or have never even used an AMD processor. Both Intel and AMD processors work fine.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

We've been using both Intel and AMD processors, including dual AMD processors and so far there's no problems with heating problems with the AMDs. As long as you've got a better cooling system you'll never have a heating problem! But it's true that for the price you get much more power than the Intel processors. Even though I've been praising the AMD processors, I personally still like Intel as it gives the feeling of stability.

There should be a choice in the poll to choose both .

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

Well, I've always been an AMD person myself, but for my next machine, I'm tempted to go Intel because those Northwoods overclock so nicely.
    -Bruce

Intel , i have newer owned a amd, ups RAQ ia amd right? ahmmm now i am lost...

AMD for desktop Intel for server just because it runs cooler.
    <?
    header("Location: http://www.hostevolve.com/");
    ?>

Intel for server environments, AMD for workstation

I voted for Intel, especially for servers environment. This is one of the reason: http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q...tvideo-01.html
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Originally posted by FHDave
    I voted for Intel, especially for servers environment. This is one of the reason: http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q...tvideo-01.html
    that's the biggest thing that'll scares me when i'm gonna buy a new computer....

I use AMD, but I prefer INTEL.

I use both AMD and Intel, I prefer AMD.

Originally posted by coolguy23

that's the biggest thing that'll scares me when i'm gonna buy a new computer....
    You shouldn't have to worry as long as you don't take the heatsink off the CPU while it's running...
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

AMD all the way. Switched over to AMD on their original Athlons, and will never switch back (unless something drastic happens)

Originally posted by Studio64
    You shouldn't have to worry as long as you don't take the heatsink off the CPU while it's running...
    What if your CPU fans fail? The test was meant just for this reason. You will never know when your CPU fan is going to die, so let's just assume it's dead now... so, what happen in this case? AMD is toasted and may even catch fire in your datacenter!
    Fluid Hosting, LLC - Enterprise Cloud Infrastructure: Cloud Shared and Reseller, Cloud VPS, and Cloud Hybrid Server

Originally posted by FHDave
    What if your CPU fans fail? The test was meant just for this reason. You will never know when your CPU fan is going to die, so let's just assume it's dead now... so, what happen in this case? AMD is toasted and may even catch fire in your datacenter!
    Granted I don't have a datacenter to support but I have setup servers in a few warehouses before and all have been setup with AMD processors and none have failed due to overheating. I have never, not once, not ever, experienced a problem with overheating on AMD processors. I am not saying this doesn't happen but everyone is making it seem like it is a normal occurrance when I truly don't believe it is. If you are smart, and take care of your equipment, you will make sure to have adequate cooling no matter which processor you are using. And if one fan goes bad, others should be in place to help out (aside from the processor fan). And if you are that worried about it happening, check them regularly. Fans cost less than a processor and AMD processors cost less than Intel. You will most likely save money even if you had to replace a fan here and there. Which again, I've never had to do other than for regular maintenance purposes anyway (I tend to replace processor fans in most of the machines I service once a year even if the fan is working fine).
    - Mark

Considering my personal computers processor is an AMD Athlon, and have no problems what's so ever with it. I would say I am partial to AMD.
    iHosts.com >> Web hosting forum
    I own a webhosting community hosted at Dominet.net
    Thank you DomiNET