Thread: tmp

tmp

has anyone ever had problems with their tmp filling up, and having apache not serve out pages anymore?

I dident realize mine filled up the other day.

so i added this script in the cron.monthly folder, what do you guys think?

#!/bin/sh
    rm -rf /tmp/*

will this work?
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

Hi,

if your tmp directory fills up, then quite a lot of programs will fail as they use that directory, not just apache.

You could remove files from that directory each day, or every other day, at midnight, or when your server is very quiet.

If it's one script in particular, then make sure it cleans up after itself, but still clean out your tmp directory daily, or weekly at least.

HTH,
    Infinite

and yes, that should clear up your tmp directory, perhaps you could use find to remove only files that are over one day old?
    Do'h!

Do you use mod_gzip? I had the same problem until I moved the temp mod_gzip files to another folder.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Have a look at tmpwatch

man tmpwatch

Originally posted by Jedito
    Do you use mod_gzip? I had the same problem until I moved the temp mod_gzip files to another folder.
    yeah, i do have mod_gzip installed, i am gonna look into that.

thanks!!
    Nick Twaddell

rm -rf /tmp/* will wipe out some temporaly data that is used..... (for example, PHP sessions if you are using it)..... try tmpwatch as the user above suggested

thanks
    Nick Twaddell