Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Charity Donations!

I am thinking about donating 25% of all my income each month to a charity. If anyone has any suggestions for a worthwhile charity that helps people in real need, please post here.

Thanks.

"The Bin Laden Charity"

hehe J/K

Helps - Not kills

Re: Charity Donations!

Originally posted by nousername
    I am thinking about donating 25% of all my income each month to a charity. If anyone has any suggestions for a worthwhile charity that helps people in real need, please post here.

Thanks.
    No don't do that.It's not the done thing these days.
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

Send me the money. I'll make sure it goes to the right cause.

ned patter - Why do you say that? Just because some people don't have a heart to donate dont mean I shouldnt

nousername - There are many out there, go look in your local community and you will find at least 2 to 3!

Keep it local. It all comes back to you in the future.

And to the above posters they all think WHT is fun and games they forget what made this forum so great was the good advice and assistance.. They are not lacking a heart as this is impossible - but a brain now thats another story!

Kind regards
    www.SURRENDERONLINE.com.au
    Perfect Solutions Every Time! Sydney Based :: Dedicated Servers :: Colocation :: Superior Support::Reseller Solutions

We thought about this, and looked into Childrens Miracle Network.

Let me say this first - DO NOT DO THEM!

After review of annual records, and other resources, not to mention personal experience just recently, NO MONEY GOES TO KIDS.

They do provide support to the hospitals, but then directives are given to the hospitals, that the money that they get from CMN, can NOT be used in grants to provide free care to kids. It can only be used to buy equipment, construction, etc.

While CMN does have its place, and it does sound that I am talking them down, I am not. I just disagree with thier tactics of imposing that they give money to kids, when in fact, they do not.

Now, part of my vengance, is when we were in a CMN meeting with a large event held for my son recently, I was told flat out my son would not see the money raised, and I quote "(sons name) is nothing but the vehicle to the money". There was a short arguement afterward, and needless to say, of the $20,000+ that was raised, my son never saw a dime tward his hospital bills, on a day that was named "(sons name) Dance to Health Day" and all businesses involved were contributing thinking that my son would get the money.

Now this may have gone a little off topic, but I have a VERY big frustration with CMN at this point, and about to go legal, but anyone who is thinking of giving money, please, research your outlet, and make sure the money really does go where they lead you to believe it to go. When a group takes 70 cents of every dollar raised for "administrative" costs, there is a real problem

Well, depends on your conviction.

There is the Christina Noble's Children Fund http://www.cncf.org which use the money for helping children in the remote places like Mangolia and Vietnam.

Hope that helps.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Some very good comments coming out here.

I don't think charities advertise for money do they?.
    Professor of crime at St Andrews university.

nousername -- I commend you on this idea. The 25% figure shows that you're doing this because you care, and not because "It's good advertising." NodeHost brings up another interesting topic - be careful to investigate exactly where your money will end up.

I don't know if this is true where you live, but I know that my local food pantries are just about empty.

Hope this goes well. In today's society, I'm delighted to see someone else helping out.

Make A wish is very good.

Originally posted by ned patter
    Some very good comments coming out here.

I don't think charities advertise for money do they?.
    I guess it depends. There is definitely some level of advertisement to get the word out about a charity, it could be a visit to the local church, mentioned on television or radio or the newspapers or something.

I found out about the Christina Noble's charity from an advertisement on cable, but it was sponsored by some organization, not too sure who it is now.

If memory serves me right, she started life as an abused child and she is active in her mission. Not too much like those charities with wealthy board of directors and so on.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Thanks.
    I just found this:

http://www.justgive.org

Check it out.

Jessica
    --- To Err is Human ... And Don't You Forget It---

Originally posted by nvphone
    Make A wish is very good.
    Make a Wish is one of my favorites, gives terminally ill children their final wish, such as a trip to Disney, etc.

SLabHost

I had tried this at one time and ran into many road blocks.

Mainly, you are not allowed to advertise on your website. If you personally want to donate some of your income, then go ahead. If you want to advertise on your site that money is being donated, then it is not allowed.

Call and speak to each organization personally, BEFORE you do anything. There are alot of rules around this, and it is best to verfiy before committing.

We are allowed to be a corporate sponsor to the ones we want to donate... but only if we choose to do it ourselves out of our yearly income. To do it any other way is viewed as solicitation on their behalf, which is not allowed.

So, double check personally with each organization you approach.
    Regards,
    Karen
    -----
    Reseller Accounts and Dedicated Servers

Originally posted by slabhost

Make a Wish is one of my favorites, gives terminally ill children their final wish, such as a trip to Disney, etc.

SLabHost

I have to agree, some of the best to look at in our research is:

Make A Wish Foundation
    Shriners and Hospitals (Very good, 97 cents/$1 goes to cause)
    Harvesters Food Pantries

I have some others that in my research came out really good. I will try and track them down as they are the ones that actually utilize the funds tward the cause instead of taking it for administrative puposes and also do not use deceptive tactics in thier fundraising schemes.

Smile

I have sent an email to the Make a wish foundation about this. Hopefully all goes well

I think you have to decide what your priorities are for making the world a better place.

Mine would go something like:

Feeding the hungry
    Housing the homeless
    Cleaning up the planet
    Treating/preventing/curing disease
    Educating people

Then you have to decide what people in the world need the most help in the particular area you choose as your first priority.

I would say Make a Wish foundation as well

I usually consult with the people at the goodwill, usually the coordinator. I usually donate a lump sum of money each month, and consult the coordinator, on local charitys are going on. I prefer to donate to local charties, as I can see perticularly where and how the money is being used. I also usually donate to the Cancer Research Institute in New York City. There are so many charities to choose from its amazing. However its cool that you are going to take some of the money you dont need and donate it. I always tell everyone, only take what you really need, and donate the rest to people who need it.

Anthony

I'd recommend local giving, such as
    1. supporting the homeless/mentally ill/AIDs victims (local govts ignore these people and they really need help)
    2. battered women program
    3. abused children program
    4. AIDs organization

The only trustworthy national organzation I know of here in the USA is The Salvation Army. You might giving try giving money to an organization that deals with an illness that interests you, such as an Alzheimer's organization or American Cancer Society.

It's so hard to say. There is so much needed, while our govt just spends and wastes money. I give to AIDs when I can. I figure that because of the stigma attached to that awful disease, that is the number one need. Just don't give any money to CDC (Center for Disease Control in Atlanta). They waste it.

I just hope you are not planning on using a charity as a sales gimmick like so many unscrupulous businesses do.
    Last edited by chrisb; 07-15-2002 at 01:07 AM.

Thanks.
    My wife and I donate to the local battered woman's program. Nothing feels better to us than to help abused women and their children. They often seem to be short changed on donations and their needs need met. Just a suggestion...

Another we try to support are programs that help children in our local community such as anti child abuse programs that help potentially abusive parents, crisis nurseries, teen or troubled youth programs, run away shelters.

The battered woman's programs or rape crisis centers usually need help and they are all independent yet exist in nearly ever city in the country.

What a great thing you want to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast