* Looking for a nice dedicated server :)

i'm looking for a dedicated server for my website. It's taken off since our new release and we'll need a dedicated server. My last pick would be rackshack but I'll go with them if that's the best I can find. Yes you get a lot of bang for your buck but their policies and support are crap. I've already spent the last 12 months dealing with a BS host and If I have to deal with another one I'll go crazy

My budget is probobly 100 USD a month. Any good ideas?

Nocster is similar to RackShacks pricing and something you may want to look into.
    We have had nothing but good success with them. Sure, there were some blips when adding the cogent line. But, as for service and support; I highly recommend them.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Is it just me or is anyone else getting a "gateway timeout" to it?

I'm looking for a ugly dedicated server

I've been with RackShack for a few months now and have had a good experience overall. Server has been up for 34 days since I last rebooted it to complete an upgrade and I have not noticed any network outages, even during the fiber cut. I also like the fact that headsurfer kept us very well updated when that happened (could have happened to any datacenter, and the difference between a good one and a bad one is how they handle a problem like that.) The RackShack forums are also a great resource for their customers.

Anyway, RackShack often gets bad press because of a few bad support people, but they also have a number of good support people, and overall I would get another server with them. They offer a great value and the server they sold me is very nice so far.
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

I have had a server with Nocster, there are some trips here and there but nothing ever more than hours of down time. Their support is incredible. I can say so far I am very happy with them, this was my first server, and I knew nothing about dedicated , but they have been very helpful thumbs up for them....

eservers.biz or Tranxactglobal.com my servers with them has had 100% up time. No trips here and there nothing but great service fast and realiable, excellent customer support from the techs in the data center all the way to the top.

i'm happy with dialtone
    Nick Twaddell
    WebSpace Solutions - Custom E-Solutions
    Fast, Reliable, Affordable Web Hosting

'm happy with dialtone
    You're paying twice as much as his budget though, right?
    Dedicated Servers at Steadfast Networks and Softlayer : Virutal Hosting at FutureQuest : VPS at FutureHosting

I have a $99 server at dialtone. It's a crappy box... with Linux 6.2 but it has 65 gigs of B/W!

I have 1.5 mbs cable but I think I'm capped to 256k on the upload...I don't think that'd work..Or do you?

lol, forget about cable dude

TranXact Global (dv2) is the best there is, IMHO.
    -elevation

They all suck eventually.

Rackshack - last time I needed a reboot it took 53 minutes, that's their fastest time yet. Overall network uptime is good.

DV2 - had good luck with them, 4th of july I had a server lock up at 7am I finally got it rebooted around 3pm, really shook my confidence.

Efreeservers - let's see, my server is now down going on 26 hours for a move from SF to Tampa (yes CA - FL) don't even get me started about this.

My point? Eventually whoever you go with is very likely gonna drop the ball so just get ready for it.

Buy your own server, find a local colo, put it in there, so at least when THEY **** you up you can go down to their office and scream at someone who can't hide behind email or phone answering systems.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Re: Looking for a nice dedicated server :)

Originally posted by Prolex
    i'm looking for a dedicated server for my website. It's taken off since our new release and we'll need a dedicated server. My last pick would be rackshack but I'll go with them if that's the best I can find. Yes you get a lot of bang for your buck but their policies and support are crap. I've already spent the last 12 months dealing with a BS host and If I have to deal with another one I'll go crazy

i just got a new server today for a higher bandwidth customer/friend @ atrivo -- 23531098 is his icq #

its great its cogent but it is so much faster than fdc's cogent you can't compare the 2.

here is a download file to test if you want to test the speed

http://www.wofut.com/q3pointrelease_131.exe

i just asked him for you what kind of deal he could offer for 100USD
    --------

AMD XP 1600+ CPU
    512MB PC133 Memory
    Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM Hard Drive
    $99 per month / $99 one-time setup fee
    500 Gigs of transfer per month
    100Mbit Fully Burstable switch
    APC Remote Rebooter
    24/7 Emergency Phone Support
    Ensim unlimited or Plesk unlimited conrol panel to choose from

hmm. nice deal, what kinda bandwidth? i suppose it's cogent!?
    Edit:
    never mind, just saw it in your earlier post. sorry stupid me
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.