hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : SEO / SEM Discussions : Questions SEO

Forum Jump

Questions SEO

Reply Post New Thread In SEO / SEM  Discussions Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2007, 05:55 AM

Questions SEO

I want to do SEO(Search Engine Optimization), but have questions here, Do I need to host my site with the SEO provider?
Do I need to give the provider my FTP account?
If I dont do the above mentioned, are there any other ways?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2007, 06:32 AM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANVIN View Post
Do I need to host my site with the SEO provider?
No.

Quote:
Do I need to give the provider my FTP account?
If you trust them you can but I wouldn't to start off with. They should be able to either suggest changes which you implement or you could give them a copy of your source which they forward to you to upload. That way you can review it first.

At this point it's worth saying make absolutely sure you know what they are doing to your site. Their are many SEO 'experts' that do things that will improve your results in the short term but are banned by the search engines once you're found out. Read the Google webmaster guidelines and any other search engines guidelines you get traffic from as getting unbanned later is not going to be a nice experience.

Quote:
If I dont do the above mentioned, are there any other ways?
DIY? the basic idea is to get as many links to your pages as possible. Preferably with the link text relevant to your keywords.

Check Matt Cutts blog for a few tips. He works for Googles webspam team so he knows exactly how their indexing works and offers some advice and insight into such things.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:52 AM
WHT Addict

SEO needs to be done both on-site and off-site. If the SEO service provider needs to make changes of your web pages, they do need the ftp access to your server.

You don't need to have your site hosted by the SEO company. If that is what they tell you, run as fast as you can - they are trying to scam you.

Most SEO "experts" have no clue what they are doing. They can pull some nasty tricks to fool search engines in the short term, but causing long-term damage to your ranking. Ask for their work sample rankings. Check out references!

Best of luck!

Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing Minnesota

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Junior Guru

Some SEO's can work without FTP access to your site, but it just makes the work harder because they are waiting on you to make the changes they are requesting for the site.

If you give them FTP access you have to trust them that they will only make SEO changes and will inform you of any changes before they go live.

As for hosting, you can host anywhere. They may want you to host with them so they have direct access to the site and don't have to worry about getting your FTP login, but if they are making it a requirement you may want to rethink it because it is not needed.

Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:34 PM

Thank you
I will to test it with u say

Old 05-18-2007, 02:28 AM
Junior Guru

Go with a reputable seo company to leave all your worries behind!

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
What Can Hosts Do to Fight Child Endangerment Online? Join Us Thursday to Find Out! Blog 2014-04-16 12:54:35
Cloud Experts Answer Windows Azure Questions Aboard Super-Sonic Jet Blog 2013-10-10 14:51:32
UK Tech Blog Challenges CloudFlare, Web Hosts on Free Speech Blog 2013-08-12 10:32:52
Who Wants to be a Hosting Millionaire? with Jack Zubarev Web Hosting News 2013-02-06 20:01:39
ICANN 45: New gTLD Overview and Information for Applicants with ICANN CSO Kurt Pritz Web Hosting News 2012-10-15 14:01:26