venturesonline.com

I plan to take a venturesonline.com server and nees an advice. Someone use them?

Thanks,
    Cristi

I highly recomend them - have had my own VO server for over a year now. I also have servers with a few others, - but there are many exclusive VO server admins here - and advise you need feel free to ask

We started out as resellers for VO, so when the time came to move to our own servers it was a no-brainer. They are not the cheapest but the service you get is top-notch. They respond to support tickets very fast any time of the day or night (within a few minutes), their network is fast, haven't had any downtime, and overall we are very happy with Ventures Online.

Agreed. You will not find many bad comments about VO on this or any other board.

I think the other comments sum it up.. but i'll add my 2 anyways
    Great service, great reliability.. but as my site grew their packages weren't enough for me, and I had to move, but they were still really nice and asked if there was anything they could do to help, when I asked to cancel my account. To sum it up, great host.

We colocate all our servers with VO since May, 2001 and recommend them.
    We had hardware problem during the move from Verio datacenter, but VO spent NNN-hours to fix it for us free of charge.
    Just go to VO order page and get your dedicated server now!
    Alex

Sorry, I absolutely cannot recommend them. I just switched to Priority Colocation a few days ago because of the downtime (nightly) my server was experiencing. If you would like more info, I would be happy to pull logs of complaints from another vbulletin board site I am a member of.

Originally posted by GraphxGirl
    If you would like more info, I would be happy to pull logs of complaints from another vbulletin board site I am a member of.
    I'd like that, either here or via PM. I decided to colo with them within two weeks, the decision made and all.. Mostly due to all the good comments I read here. I don't want to get myself (again) in a well of problems.

Hi there!

Okay, here is a thread started at vbulletin.com about it. I received the same email that the thread-starter received.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=48343

Even though I was falling within their bandwidth guidelines, they claimed my site (and several others) were using too much CPU resources. We ended up making a deal whereby my site was moved to a new server with only 3 sites. This new server was down nightly for the ten nights we were on it. Sorry, but I find this unacceptable.

Additionally, cpanel claimed I used 5 gigs of bandwidth on the first day of the new server. Impossible. My forums are semi-busy (25-40 concurrent users at any given time). The forums (vbulletin) are all I had on their server. Nothing else.

It's all about selling dedicated...

oh, but that's with the shared hosting account ..!

Originally posted by GraphxGirl

It's all about selling dedicated...
    I doubt they were really just trying to sell you a dedicated. If you recall, they simply stopped accepting dedicated server orders for at least 6 weeks, maybe 2 months because they had other infrastructure projects they had to work on.

I can tell you that their network is very solid. We've had servers there for about 5-6 months now. There are only two network issues that stick out in my mind - one was several months ago when something at Yipes failed, but it still looked like Yipes was up, so BGP didn't kick everything over to TimeWarner. The other issue was that someone's colocated server was getting DOS'd, which caused some latecny / packet loss for about 90 minutes one day a few weeks ago.

They've also gone way above and beyond the call of duty when helping us resolve hardware issues. They also helped us move a whole rack of stuff across town when it looked like Yipes was going to shutdown their data center in Denver - durning the middle of the night, on a Sunday no less!
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

well, VO has their own datacenter, right?

Yep, they have their own data center.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.

Originally posted by Jay Suds

I doubt they were really just trying to sell you a dedicated. If you recall, they simply stopped accepting dedicated server orders for at least 6 weeks, maybe 2 months because they had other infrastructure projects they had to work on.
    I moved her to the new webhost, and I've seen the emails.. They were trying to sell her up...

I can tell you that their network is very solid. We've had servers there for about 5-6 months now. There are only two network issues that stick out in my mind - one was several months ago when something at Yipes failed, but it still looked like Yipes was up, so BGP didn't kick everything over to TimeWarner. The other issue was that someone's colocated server was getting DOS'd, which caused some latecny / packet loss for about 90 minutes one day a few weeks ago.

They've also gone way above and beyond the call of duty when helping us resolve hardware issues. They also helped us move a whole rack of stuff across town when it looked like Yipes was going to shutdown their data center in Denver - durning the middle of the night, on a Sunday no less!
    There network might be nice, but their techs are dumb as a box of rocks... At one point they emailed her saying she used 10gb xfer, a few hours later another tech, who didn't read the updated ticket said she used 15gb...

They couldn't keep the server up for the life of them....

Yes, this was for a shared account. Sorry I failed to mention that. Actually, they were trying to sell me a dedicated server so I have no idea why you say they are not accepting dedicateds.

They have only recently started accepting dedicated server orders again ... from the beginning of April to the beginning of June they simply stopped taking dedicated orders.

Originally posted by Jay Suds
    They have only recently started accepting dedicated server orders again ... from the beginning of April to the beginning of June they simply stopped taking dedicated orders.
    Well they were sure as hell trying to push one on her....

My shared account at VO was down recently for more then 16 hours...

Originally posted by yakov
    My shared account at VO was down recently for more then 16 hours...
    That is why you should get a server

Originally posted by eddie

That is why you should get a server
    yes, my new P4 server @ Nocster is great

Meaning you think Nocster is great - good for you. I think my VO dedicated is nice, that's why I chose VO over Nocster last year