Anyone need tech support?

Hello, I'm interested in a tech support job for basically any webhosting company as long as it pays well. I can not work in exchange for webhosting or a domain. Before I even start I'd like to say that I'm 16, so if you don't trust teenagers then I guess I'm not for you. Although I am 16 I do have knowledge in multiple areas.

1) Unix/Linux
    I am skilled in Unix/Linux, specifically FreeBSD, some OpenBSD, Slackware Linux, and Red Hat Linux. I have administered the aforementioned operating systems as both server and workstation. So, if a customer has a problem and it is a result of the server, I may be able to give a solution to the administrator if it involves server misconfiguration and what not. I have studied Unix security and have been a security administrator for a small webhosting company.

2) Windows
    I have ran Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, and XP as a desktop platform but not as a server platform so I will be able to help people setup E-Mail, FTP, SSH, Telnet etc.

3) Macintosh
    I have Mac OS experience as well, although not as extensively as Unix and Windows. I can help people setup E-Mail, FTP, SSH, Telnet etc.

4) Web
    I have been doing HTML and CSS for over two years and have created several websites, which have amounted to some success.

5) Programming
    I am a beginner Perl programmer but only do system programming, not web programming.

6) Control Panels
    I have used basically all the popular control panels: Ensim, Plesk, CPanel/WHM, and Webmin. I can definitely learn more control panels if needed as none really complicated.

7) Messaging Programs
    I can use the following message programs and I can get more if needed: AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo!

If it's ok, could you post what you would pay me?

Thanks,
    Jonathan
    eonx@hushmail.com

I'm just curious, is it because I'm 16 that no one needs me because I see companies in need of tech support but they all require one to be 18?

If you are worried about maturity issues, I am quite mature and can deal with angry customers and what not in an orderly manner. Please don't be discouraged my age.

Greetings:

This is just a guess more than serious doing research into the matter... but here are the issues as I would see it if we were to hire or contract with a person under the age of 16:

1. If a contractor, minors cannot sign or be bound by contracts.

So that puts a huge liability (risk) on the company doing the contracting.

2. For hiring purposes, there are usually additional laws, reporting, etc. for hiring minors. The company may or may not have the HR resources and expertise to know these laws and reporting requirements.

3. If the company works on projects where having the proper insurance is a must, the insurance company may question, increase the cost, or not provide such insurance.

4. On the higher end, some jobs may require the company to provide resumes or information on employees. The company may be ok hiring minors, but the client may not be ok.

Just some thoughts... take it with a grain of salt.

P.S. I've seen some extremely mature teenagers, and some very imature adults. However, wisdom and maturity are not always the same thing; I'm still having a debate as to the question about wisdom coming with age ;-)
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

.20c per ticket! We get around 100 per ticket... let me know if you're interested... send me a message...
    I have servers at: NetDepot/GNAX (A), SoftLayer (A), LiquidWeb (B+), DedicatedNow (B+), Nectartech (B) and more!

Originally posted by dynamicnet
    Greetings:

This is just a guess more than serious doing research into the matter... but here are the issues as I would see it if we were to hire or contract with a person under the age of 16:

1. If a contractor, minors cannot sign or be bound by contracts.

So that puts a huge liability (risk) on the company doing the contracting.

2. For hiring purposes, there are usually additional laws, reporting, etc. for hiring minors. The company may or may not have the HR resources and expertise to know these laws and reporting requirements.

3. If the company works on projects where having the proper insurance is a must, the insurance company may question, increase the cost, or not provide such insurance.

4. On the higher end, some jobs may require the company to provide resumes or information on employees. The company may be ok hiring minors, but the client may not be ok.

Ah! There's ways around that. This 16-year-old is impressive. His grammar is fairly good, and he appears to be knowledgeable, straight-forward, and honest. I like that. I'd try him out, if I were a host that needed tech support.
    He's much more articulate than many of the techs out there.

Universal2001: You say 20 cents per ticket and then you say you get 100 per ticket. I'm a bit confused; do you mind if you could clarify?

chrisb: Thanks for the support, I appreciate it

Originally posted by Eon 7
    Universal2001: You say 20 cents per ticket and then you say you get 100 per ticket. I'm a bit confused; do you mind if you could clarify?

chrisb: Thanks for the support, I appreciate it
    20 cents per ticket answered, they usually receive 100 tickets each day.

Ok thanks, that's what I thought I just wanted to make sure.