Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

what to do in Hong Kong?

Hi,

I'm going to be in Hong Kong for a few days and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good places to visit there, e.g. museams, excursions, sights etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Justin

Electronic Stores == cheap cheap

visit the domain speculator offices and get the domain grabbing scripts

Originally posted by hosticle
    Electronic Stores == cheap cheap
    Is that from experience? My wife told me that electronics in Japan/China/Korea wasn't as cheap as you'd think it would be, but I've never been there and I'm not sure what she's basing that on. Her sister came here (from Korea) to buy a camcorder (and to see us of course ).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

I also thought that electronics like mobile phones in Hong Kong or China would be cheap... but they're not... they're still quite expensive. So much for wanting to get some cheap cool stuff there.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

they have 110V for power there?

Go to some computer shopping mall and you get as much as software, vcd and dvd as you want. They are cheap !

Originally posted by Chicken
    Is that from experience? My wife told me that electronics in Japan/China/Korea wasn't as cheap as you'd think it would be, but I've never been there and I'm not sure what she's basing that on. Her sister came here (from Korea) to buy a camcorder (and to see us of course ).
    Depending on my mom experienced (She often went to HK on 70'-80'). By default all electronic stores in HK put the high price label since they assume that all tourists have a lot of money. If you can speak with their local languange (Cantonese language) to bargain, you can get the lowest prices.

Good luck.

Don't buy electronic in those electronic stores at those tourist center. Go to Mong Kok, you will find a lot of cheap electronic.
    http://www.ebookeasy.com Free ebook for webhosting and dedicated server review

Originally posted by apollo
    they have 110V for power there?
    For the most part no, but they got a Panasonic camcorder had the dual power converter thingy (technical I know).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

OK, I see now... thx

Beware of counterfeits. The HK government is starting to clamp down on this kind of thing and if you are caught at customs then there will be problems.

Fishing

MU SHU?

Being a former native myself....

- Victoria Peak is a tried-and-true tourist place.... Do a few walks around the peak to get away from it all. Sometimes you wonder whether you're really in HK!

- Software/hardware/electronics are no longer as cheap as they once were, thanks to the local police shutting down the counterfeits. You'd get slightly better value if you went to Taiwan instead.

If you want to buy that (legal) stuff though, Golden Square Shopping Centre in Sham Shui Po and Wanchai Electronics Centre are the two hotspots.

- If you're a fan of seafood, head straight to the seafood restaurants at Kam Tin or Aberdeen.

- And if you need to take a break from the humid and muggy weather, just head to Ocean Park

- The outlying islands are fantastic for experiencing a simpler lifestyle from back in the 1800s/1900s... Grab a ferry out and spend a day or two exploring the outlying islands.

- In terms of sights, you can't miss the giant Buddha on Lantau Island.

Grab a Lonely Planet guide to HK and use it as a jumping off point - it's a great guide.

Hope this helps.
    My 2 Cents.... (or is that 2.2 cents inc. GST...?)

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

damn, i love HK
    such a BIG, impressive city ...
    take a look at my pictures: http://hongkong.bigwill.org
    and i have to second that, you should take a look in the WanChai Electronic Centre ... that's where you can deal a bit, and may get some nice prices ... (i got 40% off, compared to the price it was in Germany, of a Compact Flash Card with 128MB)
    but you should be careful what you buy, many provide only warranties which are limited to HK.
    have a very nice stay! (wanna take me with? )
    In just two days, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Didn't know so many here were asian. I am chinese myself.

BigWill, thanks for pictures. They didn't come out too well, but the memories they brought back are beautiful.....

Hong Kong is such a magnificent city!

Peter

yeah, i don't have a digital cam ... and the air humidity was so high during my stay so the outcome was really not that good as i hoped.
    you really got the point, it's such an exciting, magnificent city
    it's worth a trip!

Forgot to mention: I also enjoyed your insightful comments. There were lots of things that I didn't even know.

You qualify to be a tour guide in Hong Kong.

Peter

haha, thanks
    i knew it would make sense someday, that i made them in english ... (some german ppl complained, as they'r not that fluent in english

wanna get me a digi cam while your there?
    please

BC, what about the fishing??

Smile

YOU GOING TO HK??

MEEEEEEET ME! I go to Miriam Yeung Concert in August!

Come and catch my tail!

1. As a comp geek, you must take the MTR to Sham Shui Po, and go to Golden Shopping Center. It is a computer guys dream come true.

2. As a sex maniac computer geek, you must go to Shun Tak Center buy a ferry ticket to Macau. Exit the MTR station at Sheungwan, go across the street to this huge building and go into one of those travel companies and buy a ferry/sauna/nightclub ticket. Ask for Darlings in any of those places and you will get a package which includes everything.
    Hop on the ferry (hydrofoil) and go to Macau and walk over to Darlings. (It is walking distance) its a walking foot bridge. Go down the escalator, and walk in the center with Darlings. Go up elevator and voila! Once inside Darlings, you will be in the same place as something in Ruchs Hour 2 when Jacky brings whats his name to a Sauna place filled with gorgeous girls which you can choose and......you know what.

3. As an extended Sex geek, you must finish your trip and go to the Mongkok/jordan area. If you have a friend in HK, they will take you to some nightclubs there.

4. As a rich sex geek, you must go to Tsim Sha Tsui and visit a club called Club Big Boss. Remember to bring your gold card visa handy and bring one or two friends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast