SSL Certs From Rackshack/GeoTrust

I've just purchased a second SSL cert via Rackshack and the process has improved a LOT from the last time I purchased one which was the first few days when Rackshack started to offer it, when their system was not working well. But I just HAD to mention that GeoTrust have changed their system, they now allow you to edit the CSR after submitting it at Rackshack and you can also change other details such as the contact details for the admin, technical and billing. In addition, it took me less than 10 minutes to purchase the cert, confirm it, and install it... now... it's all working great .

To conclude, it's good to see new things and improvements for the best.

Alan
    Alan Ho
    Former Systems Administrator

I never had problems before

Thanks for the comments. Geotrust has been very helpful lately in improving the process AND thereby reducing the error rate.

I am not saying that a provisioning error never occurs ... just MUCH less frequently.

At what we sell these certs for, it has to be completely automated or we would REALLY be losing our shorts.

Thanks again,

Robert
    Robert Marsh
    Head Surfer

Well my first time getting one wasn't a good experince , I guess Geotrust was having some issues , but the 2nd time Was flawless

It's great to see they are trying to improve the process
    phantasyworkshosting.com

The only problem I saw was generating a plesk cert, with the form validation it required the word NEW - easily fixed anyway

I have found one company they offer 2 years for 69 $

Have someone tested them?

http://certs.ipsca.com/indexgoogle.htm

Thanks!

If you want 3 months free you can use :
    http://www.freessl.com/

And anyway if you need just one year ssl,
    in this homepage you can get them at 45 $ for 1 year.

I hope this info will help u.

Originally posted by hosticle
    The only problem I saw was generating a plesk cert, with the form validation it required the word NEW - easily fixed anyway
    It doesn't require the word "new" in the tags, as the CSRs that I generated didn't have it and it still worked.

Alan
    Alan Ho

Just as a word of caution. While the QuickSSl certs have about a 96% (I think) ubiquity, the freessl.com have more like a 60% or so ubiquity.

There is a difference.

However, the Freessl.com cert provides a great testing cert while you are building your concept or site.

At the end of the three months, you will be offered a QuickSSl or a True Business ID at the normal retail rates from Geotrust.
    Robert Marsh
    Head Surfer

Wow, it's now about 96%? The last time I looked it was 80%, but then somewhere else said 95%... but at least we know it's getting higher and higher. Btw Robert, that post of yours sounded like a little ad for your SSL certs ... but then you own WHT, so we can't do anything about that. Thanks for the info though, it should help people decide between getting a more expensive Thawte certificate or a low cost QuickSSL cert.

Alan
    Alan Ho

his post sounded nothing like an ad to me.

Well not exactly an ad, but he was defending the SSL certs that he offers at Rackshack against the ones at FreeSSL. But what he said was still useful to know.

Alan
    Alan Ho

On the website of ipsCA it states that it's accepted by 90% of the browsers. For $38/year their the cheapest I've seen. Is anybody using them?

Not an ad, just pointing out that the freessl.com site is a lower ubiquity cert that will then allow you to buy a higher ubiquity cert. In fact, I recommended the freessl site.

We make no money on the sale of SSl certs, in fact we probably lose a good bit when you throw in cc processing costs, etc.

Again, I would recommend the freessl site for anyone wanting a FREE way to test getting started. You can always upgrade through them to a higher ubiquity cert .... or you could go ... shall we say .. somewhere else that sells certs at REALLy low prices. (and there are a few others besides the one I am not mentioning on purpose )

Also, those OTHER site also offer even higher ubiquity certs (yes higher than the company I am not mentioning so that it does not sound like an advertisement) at slightly higher prices. The benefit is that the "other guys" do offer a variety of cert options)

Robert
    Robert Marsh
    Head Surfer

Robert, sorry for saying it was an ad... it was actually helpful I thought as it provided some info on the compatibility of the QuickSSL certs with browsers. It's surprising that you offer the SSL certs at a cost that is costing YOU money (but with all those people that attracts to your site that buys a dedicated server, I guess that off sets the loss, lol).

Alan
    Alan Ho