Perl programming assistance $25/hour

I need some perl help with the Hosting Weather Report site. I am willing to pay $25 an hour for this assistance.

Before pulling someone in for more extensive work, I would like some assistance with refinements to the existing script. I am estimating the time it should take to make the changes I desire at about 2 hours (someone who is really good can do them in about an hour).

This is sort of a paid test, if I like the work you do I will use you for the 2nd and 3rd phases of the HWR rollout.

If you are interested a couple of things:

1. The $25/hour price in non-negotiable (unless you want to charge less ). I am on a tight budget.

2. For phase 2 and 3 you should be familiar with Perl and MySQL.

3. I like documentation in my code, and would like the scripts to be fully documented.

PM me, or e-mail [email protected] if you are interested.

Most perl programmers charge $75-$150 an hour, just like I stated in my response to your PM. Just to let your know, $25 is really awfully low. There are people that just write HTML that charge more than $25/hr. This may be WHT, but I seriously doubt if anyone will do it for nothing, and $25/hr. is "nothing" for programming. Good Luck, though.
    Last edited by chrisb; 07-14-2002 at 12:44 AM.

Originally posted by chrisb
    Most perl programmers charge $75-$150 an hour, just like I stated in my response to your PM. Just to let your know, $25 is really awfully low. There are people that just write HTML that charge more than $25/hr. This may be WHT, but I seriously doubt if anyone will do it for nothing, and $25/hr. is "nothing" for programming. Good Luck, though.
    Chris thank you for your response. Truthfully, I think you are overvaluing Perl programming skills. As I stated to you in my PM, if you look at Elance and other programming sites Perl programmers are valuing themselves at $25-$30 an hour. Which is why I chose that number. In addition, for me personally, at $75+ I would rather work through the problem myself, or ask one of my friends for help.

I guess the number of responses I get will determine which one of us is closer to correct. Of course, I only need one person to agree to my price for my needs to be satisfied, you need significantly more than one person to make a living .

In case anyone else is interested, I charge $65/hr with 1 hr min, and that is very good price.
    I would appreciate it if you would not advertise your services in my thread .
    Last edited by allan; 07-13-2002 at 11:24 PM.

You can definately get a Perl programmer for $25/hourr, but the code will probably be pretty inefficient. Perl's motto is "there's more than one way to do it" -- unfortunately, that makes for a lot of wrong ways to do things. A seasoned Perl programmer who knows how to tackle each problem he encounters in the most effcient way possible will probably not be found for $25/hour.
    Jay » [email protected] • AIM » FDrive Support
    Front Drive™ » Advanced multi-domain solutions
    http://www.frontdrive.com/

Originally posted by uuallan

I would appreciate it if you would not advertise your services in my thread .
    I didn't mean it as advertising so much; but was just using it to put my point of view in perspective. You're right, though. It does look like advertising, and I will remove it. My apologies.

JFYI... I'm not trying to make a living at programming perl.
    Last edited by chrisb; 07-14-2002 at 12:49 AM.

Originally posted by FDrive
    You can definately get a Perl programmer for $25/hourr, but the code will probably be pretty inefficient. Perl's motto is "there's more than one way to do it" -- unfortunately, that makes for a lot of wrong ways to do things. A seasoned Perl programmer who knows how to tackle each problem he encounters in the most effcient way possible will probably not be found for $25/hour.
    Jay -- absolutely, and if I were having something designed from the ground up, then I would agree with you. Instead, I have an existing infrastructure in place, and I want to make modifications to that infrastructure.

I think there is a big difference between hiring a developer to design and implement a project and hiring a programmer to work within an existing framework. In the first example, you are relying on the knowledge and experience of the developer to guide you through the project, make suggestions, and really, perform more project management than actual coding. In the second example, you are simply looking for a "code monkey" (I don't mean the term pejoratively -- it is a self-ascribed term).

There is a lot of skill in both types of work, but, generally, in my experience, the first type of developer is more valued than the second type.

Of course -- YMMV.

Originally posted by chrisb

I didn't mean it as advertising so much; but was just using it to put my point of view in perspective. You're right, though. It does look like advertising, and I will remove it. My apologies.
    No worries. I didn't want it to come off as an insult/flame (hence the "").

uuallan, please check your PM.

Originally posted by caS
    uuallan, please check your PM.
    caS, I got your PM, I was in the process of writing up my requirements, to send to you, and the other people interested in the project. Thanks -- you should have a new PM now.

I have found someone for the job. Thanks to all who took the time to offer their services. I appreciate the response .

Just for the record, between when I posted the request last night and when I closed the process at 2:00 PM EST today, I received 7 requests from programmers/companies willing to entertain the project.