Making domain contact info spam-proof?

How do you guys deal with spammers pulling the publically available contact info from your domain(s) and using it to send you junk mail (both through snail mail and e-mail) and puttting your phone # on telemarketing lists?

E-mail is easiest to take care of (and easiest for them to spam), since you can use a separate e-mail account other than your normal one.

But how about mailing address and phone #?

Is there any problem with leaving out the number from the street address or the zip code from the phone #? Could someone who knew your address or phone # wasn't complete or correct take advantage of this to steal your domain?

If you supply incomplete or inaccurate contact information you are in violation of the agreement with your registrar and theirs with ICANN.

If someone complains, the registrar must contact you and you have 15 days to make it right.

If you don't do this, the registrar must reposses and drop the domain.

This is at least ICANN policy and part of every registrar's agreement with the registry.

Does it happen in real life? I don't know, but you agreed to it with you registered the domain...

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

Originally posted by thewitt
    If someone complains, the registrar must contact you and you have 15 days to make it right.
    So, you can have incomplete or innacurate contact information, until someone complains to your registrar

Just set up a special account and filter the hell out of it. You should not be getting much email on your domain email account other than from your registrar. Put an auto respond message on it for all other senders than the registrar's domain -- if they really need to contact you, have them call you.

Problem solved.
    “Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under
    considerable economic stress at this period in history.”

That wasn't my question, but yes, I know e-mail is easy to take care of. I have a separate e-mail account for listing in the contact info of my domain, and it gets plenty of spam e-mails every day.

You could alternately go with a TLD that keeps the registrants info confidential. .tk (www.dottk.tk) or .to (www.tonic.to)

Even co.uk is kept private - but not for long from what I hear.

You can't avoid spam - the moment I listed my phone number, I started receiving calls from Verio, congratulating me on my new domain name and offering to enroll me - for $99 a pop - to their affiliate web hosting plan!

Originally posted by timechange
    You can't avoid spam - the moment I listed my phone number, I started receiving calls from Verio, congratulating me on my new domain name and offering to enroll me - for $99 a pop - to their affiliate web hosting plan!
    hahaha.

Originally posted by Janet

hahaha.
    What is funnier is that originally I thought they wanted to buy the domain !