hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : POP3 foolishness: Backing it up, Nuking it and starting over

Forum Jump

POP3 foolishness: Backing it up, Nuking it and starting over

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Junior Guru

POP3 foolishness: Backing it up, Nuking it and starting over

Howdy,

So, I have my own dedicated server and have been rather neglectfull.

I currently have about 24 thousand email messages from the last few years. Like a tard, I always clicked "leave a copy of messages on server" on my mail clients.

So, I've been doing some reading and have decided to start over usin IMAP instead of POP3. Since I have all the messages in Outloop (go go 700 Meg .PST!) I',m looking for the best way to:

1. Back up my mail on the server
2. Nuke it all
3. Convert to IMAP

I then plan on installing something like http://www.roundcube.net/

I'm on a linix redhat server running cpanel.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2007, 03:35 AM
Disabled

And you think that IMAP will reduce the number of messages you forget to remove from your server because...

Old 05-13-2007, 03:44 AM
Web Hosting Guru

I am not 100% because I do not use outlook anymore but doesnt it have a backup feature? Why not tell it to archive all emails older than 12 months and burn that to a cd for archival purposes. That's if you want to save all of that mail.

This solution is kinda off the wall but hey:
Sign up for a Gmail account. Add the pop account. Tell it to pull all messages. Then you have it all saved and easily searchable. Then you can wipe all the mail off the server and start from the beginning.

IMHO: IMAP > POP3

[theBleeber@wht01] ~ $ cat .signature
cat: .signature: No such file or directory

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2007, 03:47 AM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engelmacher View Post
And you think that IMAP will reduce the number of messages you forget to remove from your server because...
It seems that he may be deleting the mail in outlook however the since it is storing a copy on the server it is always there (on the server).

Switching to IMAP would help. If he deleted mail in outlook, (thunderbird.. switch. ) it would also be deleted on the server.

[theBleeber@wht01] ~ $ cat .signature
cat: .signature: No such file or directory

Old 05-13-2007, 03:55 AM
Junior Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroTech04 View Post
It seems that he may be deleting the mail in outlook however the since it is storing a copy on the server it is always there (on the server).

Switching to IMAP would help. If he deleted mail in outlook, (thunderbird.. switch. ) it would also be deleted on the server.
This is absolutely it.

One of the suggestions about getting a gmail account is pretty cool, but is it possible to make a backup that I could save on the server in a rar or tar format in case a restore is ever needed? And how would I delete the entire mail file/folder on the server?

Old 05-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroTech04 View Post

Not checking that box would accomplish the same thing. I don't run an IMAP daemon at all and I don't have a single unwanted message sitting on my server.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Junior Guru

any guidance?

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Nominet Plans to Make Shorter .UK Domains Available Starting June 10 Web Hosting News 2014-02-03 12:08:10
RackHigh Launches Saudi Arabia Private Cloud Solutions Web Hosting News 2013-08-14 15:40:47
CloudStack 4.0 Open Source Cloud Software Released as Apache Incubator Project Web Hosting News 2012-11-08 13:54:10
Cloudian Launches Community Cloud Storage Version for Service Providers, Enterprises Web Hosting News 2012-09-18 11:09:57
Cloud Hosting Provider ScaleMatrix Uses CA ARCserve to Secure Cloud Services Web Hosting News 2012-08-02 18:35:59