Unhappy TotalNic Whois down

I don't care for TotalNic but we do need to research domains on occasion and it appears that their whois has been down for nearly a week

Anybody got any information on what the problem is?

Not very (I was going to use the word professional, but could only laugh) helpful for an ICANN accredited registrar.

Huh, seems to be back up now. Maybe it's intermittent. Maybe they reacted with lightening speed before there was any adverse publicity. But I know what I saw

WhoIs engines are often down becuase of abuse by spamers - just try another whoIs till they wise up

No, you cannot get domain registration from another whois when it's down (other than a few brief details) when that registrar is a direct member of ICANN - which is why it's such a pain and why it's so annoying.

Is it possible you are being blocked by Totalnic when you think they are down? It seems to be more and more common to block IP addresses after a fairly low number of requests have been handled in a 24 hour period.

myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates

It was about the 3rd lookup in 7 days
    Interesting point though. It would have helped if it had stayed down to see if anyone else could have seen the problem, but since it came back shortly after I posted having been unavailable for quite some time, it kind b*ggers it all up