Thread: load concerns

load concerns

I have been involved in the development of a complex PHP web applications that does very large amounts of processing, includes several files with thousands lines of code, does multiple and complex db queries etc. So far it has been running only on non-public development servers and has been surprisingly fast given what it does.

But I am concerned about what might happen when it is time for it to start running on a website with many users.

Is there a way to estimate in advance how serious that problem may be?

Is there a way to estimate in advance how serious that problem may be?
    Have thousands of "friends" post, register, test the site at the same time, that's about the only way to do stress test a site.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Thank you. I suppose you are right.

There are a few benchmark applications out there but they don't work the same as a regular user would in terms of surfing around. As suggested above the ideal is get a few people surfing around or perhaps design a script of your own that would make a few different page calls to simulate normal browsing.

If you are having trouble you may want to checkout some php caching as they can significantly reduce the processing time depending on exactly whats happening.
    John W, CISSP, C|EH
    MS Information Security and Assurance
    ITEagleEye.com - Server Administration and Security
    Yawig.com - Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers with VIP Service