Fed up with NSI/Verisign, ? for godaddy and opensrs resellers

In the beginning there was the Internic, and the only way to register, modify, renew was using their email templates, which was done by either customers or their ISP/HSP's, who submitted them directly to the hostmaster.

Then came Verisign, and the great God Policy speaketh unto them, "We have given unto you this web interface, and taken away thy email templates. Darkness fell upon the face of the people for now they must initiate their own registrations and modify their own nameserver information.

The policy giveth, and the Policy taketh away. Blessed be the name of the policy...
    My question for the GoDaddy and OpenSRS domain registration resellers:

Do either of these registrars allow resellers of domain registration to initiate the registration process, or handle domain name modifications (name servers only) on behalf of their customers?

Or are they like NSI/VeriSign, and require the end users do these things themselves using the web interface?

We've been providing this service to our customers for 8 years, and we'd rather not have to tell our customers to do it themselves now, that is NOT good customer service.
    http://forums.webhostdir.com/
    All your hosts are belong to us

well, as far as I know, to transfer domain(s) to OpenSRS you initiate the transfer (as a reseller using control panel or API), then an email message with transfer request is sent to the domain admin contact email address on the file. The domain owner (admin) should approve domain name transfer by visiting URL and typing in their username/key, agree to the terms and provide the phone number.

That's it.. will take a few more days - needs approval from your existing domain registrar etc..

Originally posted by apollo
    well, as far as I know, to transfer domain(s) to OpenSRS you initiate the transfer (as a reseller using control panel or API), then an email message with transfer request is sent to the domain admin contact email address on the file. The domain owner (admin) should approve domain name transfer by visiting URL and typing in their username/key, agree to the terms and provide the phone number.

That's it.. will take a few more days - needs approval from your existing domain registrar etc..
    That's not what I was asking, let me clarify a bit. We have no intention of transferring existing domains, unless the customers requested. Even now, if they use one of the other registrars, we don't require they change to NSI. I'm referring to new domain registrations, and those already registered through OpenSRS or GoDaddy (whichever is chosen).

Scenario:

Existing customer building another website and they contact us with the domain name they'd like registered.

In days of yore, we'd generate the email template, fire it off to NSI from the hostmaster address, and they'd generate the invoice and bill the customer for their registration fees, once that was paid by the customer then the domain would be functioning.

What I've seen of hosts who are reselling for other registrars is that they either register and pay for the domains themselves and then change the administrative information to the customer's information, or the customer registers the domains themselves.

The first option is cumbersome and messy, and the second is too self-serve for our company.

I'm still not sure what you are asking.

Do you want OpenSRS to bill your customer for you?

You can register a domain on behalf of a customer, and you can give them a sub-account within that domain with access to any of the profile information to change it, or you can keep that access yourself.

OpenSRS will not handle the billing for you though.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

Originally posted by thewitt
    I'm still not sure what you are asking.

Do you want OpenSRS to bill your customer for you?

No, that's not it either. We will bill the customer, what we dont' want is to pay for the domain registrations ourselves and have them registered under our name at first. We've all seen abuses of that privilege, including customers being charged a fee to be able to change hosting providers, or the provider keeping the domain name.

It looks like whichever solution we choose is either going to inconvenience the customer by forcing them to do self-serve domain registrations and nameserver modifications (which some of them do already and causes all sorts of delays as there are usually errors), or increase the time we spend processing the domain registrations if we register it in our own name and then update the contact information to reflect the customer information.

Don't know about others

But dotster does give you the ability to do as you describe.

OpenSRS will let you do what you are asking. You can either set the user up as primary on the domain and set yourselves up as secondard, or vs vs.

If you would like to play with a demo interface of the domain manager, PM or email me and I'll set one up for you.

-t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

thewitt rulz!