Here's another Question...

Here's another HOT Question. I would like to know how can I setup FTP Accounts without them being a real unix user? I am running wu-ftpd. Can someone please tell me how I can do this.

Also, What should I do if there is a directory that I want apache and root to read. But not users of the system to be able to get into. What should I do?

Thanks,
    Michael Barker

Re: Here's another Question...

Originally posted by WebadOnline
    Here's another HOT Question. I would like to know how can I setup FTP Accounts without them being a real unix user? I am running wu-ftpd. Can someone please tell me how I can do this.
    Not sure why you consider this hot? The answer is, you cannot setup FTP Accounts without having a real user behind the accounts. The user has to be there, otherwise how is WUFTPD going to match a user to the password?

Also, What should I do if there is a directory that I want apache and root to read. But not users of the system to be able to get into. What should I do?
    Depends on your Apache user. Most likely the owner of the Apache process is either the user apache or the user httpd.

First, chown the directory to apache/httpd (chown -R username directory/)

The set permissions to that person only. chmod -R 600 directory/
    (that will give the username above rw permissions, but no one else will have access.

Re: Here's another Question...

I would like to know how can I setup FTP Accounts without them being a real unix user? I am running wu-ftpd. Can someone please tell me how I can do this.
    for this you will need to use some other ftp server, e.g. ncFTPd or ProFTPd. they support separate ftp accounts which are not real unix users.

considering that apache user and group is 'apache',

chown apache:apache your_dir
    chmod 700 your_dir

this wil not allow any other user on the shell to go inside that directory.
    Dedicated Servers cPanel Shared/Reseller Hosting
    VPS Backups Cloud Colocation Managed Services
    Webx Networks Serving world wide since 1997

btw, I would just like to give my support to ncftpd. I used it for a while, their own database, not the passwd file(so no unix account) and it held a few thousand for me,
    Chicago Electronic Cigarettes: Tobacco Free, Smoke Free. 3 E-Cig Models, 11 flavors, and accessories.
    http://www.chicago-ecigs.com