Transferring files via Frontpage

Hello,
    I wasn't sure where to post this so I thought I would try here. This isn't a question as a web host company but rather as a web master.

I use Frontpage 2002 Extensions to put our sites up with. I currently host with one company but need to transfer our web site content over to a new host. I have been informed by the new host I must have name servers pointing to their site for our domain before Frontpage will allow me to upload content to my account with them.

My problem is I don't know if I will be able to access the files via Frontpage on the existing host at our domain if I change the name servers first. Can anyone advise me of how to do this? Should I just try to ftp content up to the new host before changing the name servers? I am no good at ftping and I am afraid that would loose the Frontpage extensions that go with the content and files.

If someone has any suggestions I could really use some help! Thanks!

Re: Transferring files via Frontpage

What you can do is to temporarily add the new IP to your own hosts file, which will have the same effect as changing the IP at the nameservers (or using different nameservers), except that the changes will only affect you.

Locate your hosts file... look for it in your Windows directory or go to Start=>Find=>Files.... and do a search for hosts. Open the file in NotePad, start a new line and enter the new ip address for the new host followed by the domain names you wish to associate with that IP address.
    Example:
    192.168.112.113 mydomain.com www.mydomain.com

Save the file.

You will probably need to re-start your web browser, FrontPage, and any other programs that need to resolve addresses for them to pick up the change in the hosts file. You should now be able to browse to the site on the new host normally, using the domain name. Once you have accomplished what you needed to do, be sure to remove the entry from your hosts file again.

Originally posted by merci
    Hello,
    I wasn't sure where to post this so I thought I would try here. This isn't a question as a web host company but rather as a web master.

I use Frontpage 2002 Extensions to put our sites up with. I currently host with one company but need to transfer our web site content over to a new host. I have been informed by the new host I must have name servers pointing to their site for our domain before Frontpage will allow me to upload content to my account with them.

My problem is I don't know if I will be able to access the files via Frontpage on the existing host at our domain if I change the name servers first. Can anyone advise me of how to do this? Should I just try to ftp content up to the new host before changing the name servers? I am no good at ftping and I am afraid that would loose the Frontpage extensions that go with the content and files.

If someone has any suggestions I could really use some help! Thanks!