Thread: /etc/crontab

I am trying to determine if /etc/crontab is completely independant of roots cron job (if indeed root has a cron job..)

in other words /etc/crontab is called directly and automatically by crond therefore root can own its own crontab

If this assumption is correct, then can I also assume that making changes to /etc/crontab wil take effect by simply restarting crond?

I'm not sure I understand the question.
    All users on the RAQ can have their own cronjobs loaded into the cron table independently of the /etc/crontab/daily, hourly etc. entries.
    It's a lot easier to visualise if you install Webmin . You can then see all the cronjobs on the system, when they run and who 'owns' them
    ICANN accredited domain registrar

Actually, wkdwich, you are more or less correct.

The file /etc/crontab is the system level cron file that actually runs the jobs that blacknight is referring to (those inside /etc/cron/, e.g. /etc/cron/daily/ etc).

To modify this file you do not use the crontab command, but simply edit the file directly. To quote the cron man page "cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is modified", so there's no need to restart cron if you do change it.

In addition, as you mentioned, root (as a user) can have its own crontab file which you should edit through the crontab -e command. These files are stored in /var/spool/cron/

The following are your friends :
    man cron
    man crontab

I was hoping this was correct.. now I can go and repair the damage that I created thank goodness nothing fatal, just annoying!!