Am I worrying needlessly? Would appreciate some feedback - TIA!

Following a couple of threads here and currently considering:
    Innohosting - professional
    Host 9 - next step

Are they the same company?

Don't mean to be a sissy but I have live sites to transfer and worry about being able to configure and test before switching name servers - the site config changes will be easy as they're 5 Joomla sites and 2 osCommerce sites - they are not large sites to transfer and I know that it should be very easy to move but I can't help being a worried about it - especially after some of the insane stories i've read! - anyone with experiences that would be relevant to my situation??

Thanks much for all the great information here in these forums.

Ron

As far as the transfers are concerned, if your previous host and next host use cpanel, your next host can transfer each site accross. Most hosts will do this (some will charge extra) as part of the service. Also it's best to have your new host upload and restore the full cpanel backup, for each site, as the transfer features in cpanel can be somewhat buggy.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddahBoy View Post
    Following a couple of threads here and currently considering:
    Innohosting - professional
    Host 9 - next step

Are they the same company?

Ron

To the best of my knowledge, they are not.

And as for transferring site, Aussie Bob already mentioned that if its a cpanel host, your new host should be able to transfer the sites for you.

We are not affiliated with any other web hosting company what so ever so to answer your question, no we are not the same company.
    Ben Gabler
    Chairman & CEO, Rocket.net
    Web Hosting Industry Veteran (HostNine, Hostgator, GoDaddy, StackPath)

thanks

forgot to mention that currently using both cPanel and WHM

got it, not the same company - didn't mean anything by it, just been reading so much that the question was in my mind is all, but clear now LOL

once transferred over, how can I check the functioning of the sites before changing name servers? Do I edit the configure.php files [osCommerce] to an IP address to check them? Haven't done this before and it sounds like it's not bad and I know that these are both excellent companies and do this stuff routinely but . . .

Anyway, leaning towards HostNine at this point especially after reading so many good things about transfers - but think I'll wait to make a final decision for a couple of hours while I make sure and trim off any excess data from the existing accounts.

Thanks much the feedback - much appreciated
    ROn

Hi Ron,

To avoid breaking any WHT rules about reply to request threads if you have any questions related to our services please feel free to hop on our live chat on our website or give us a call at anytime.
    Ben Gabler
    Chairman & CEO, Rocket.net
    Web Hosting Industry Veteran (HostNine, Hostgator, GoDaddy, StackPath)

Actually I did just that - I received some very knowledgeable and patient assistance on the live chat. I really hate coming across as a wimp because I'm not really like that but I gotta say I'm very slow in making my mind up because it's something I really don't want to do. I am very happy with the service I get at my current host but need more space and bandwidth and I'm already paying more than I should - but given the level of excellence I've experienced I want to find another host that I can be with for years to come - hence my indecision LOL!

I gotta decide very soon - currently one thing that has my attention is InnoHosting's SSL certificates costs - they have the GeoTrust Rapid available to resellers for about $13 - that's what it says on the website anyway - and they say that the reseller domain is issued a free dedicated SSL cert - not shared.

That is certainly NOT the only consideration, but it is one of them.

I may just go back to live chat and ask about that point - thanks much!

Ron

Actually I did just that - I received some very knowledgeable and patient assistance on the live chat. I really hate coming across as a wimp because I'm not really like that but I gotta say I'm very slow in making my mind up because it's something I really don't want to do. I am very happy with the service I get at my current host but need more space and bandwidth and I'm already paying more than I should - but given the level of excellence I've experienced I want to find another host that I can be with for years to come - hence my indecision LOL!

I gotta decide very soon - currently one thing that has my attention is InnoHosting's SSL certificates costs - they have the GeoTrust Rapid available to resellers for about $13 - that's what it says on the website anyway - and they say that the reseller domain is issued a free dedicated SSL cert - not shared.

That is certainly NOT the only consideration, but it is one of them.

I may just go back to live chat and ask about that point - thanks much!

Ron
    That is indeed to true..

And just to confirm what HostNine said before, we are totally different companies

All the best on whoever you choose!

FINALLY made up my mind!
    Contacted InnoHosting with some questions as above and got a very nice and informative email response from Rameen - thank you!
    I also used LiveChat with HostNine and had a long session with Ben, who was more than helpful, knowledgeable and patient - - in the end I signed up with H9

Thanks to everyone for the great source here on these forums, I'll be a regular visitor and will update this after I get going.

Ron

I am very happy with the service I get at my current host but need more space and bandwidth and I'm already paying more than I should - but given the level of excellence I've experienced I want to find another host that I can be with for years to come
    Just out of curiosity, how much were you actually paying with your soon-to-be ex-hosting company and what disk space and bandwidth did you get with them?

It just seems to be hard to find a truely excellent hosting company these days that I wonder how big their price was to make you leave.
    Hosting Heaven
    http://www.hostingheaven.com

"When you want the best!"

I was with Rochen - they are top notch in support and servers, very sorry to have left.

Plan was for: 2500MB - 55GB - $45.95
    There are 3 more plans above that culminating in
    4000MB - 85GB - $75.95

I required more bandwidth and space than that for sites that are using more audio and video and downloads so had to move.

But once more I must say that Rochen are excellent in all aspects - I was with them for about 14 or 15 months.

Moved to HostNine and their service has been excellent too - helped me with my move of 7 sites and handled all of my requests - even though some of them were result of self induced stress LOL - very pleased with the decision to move and intend to be there for quite some time to come.

Ron

I was a lot like you when I decided to make the move to hostnine. I had a host that I really liked but some of the features and offerings of hostnine I just could not pass up. I asked them tons of question and have been with them for a number of months now and can not be happier. I could confidently say that you made a good choice. (In all honesty I have not tried the other host, so I am just speaking from experiences with hostnine.com)

Thumbs up All the best and thanks for your business!

Hi Ron,

It is great to hear your experience with us was a positive one. I wish you every success for the future and thanks for your business the past couple of years.

You know where you can contact me should you ever need anything

- Chris

Plan was for: 2500MB - 55GB - $45.95
    There are 3 more plans above that culminating in 4000MB - 85GB - $75.95

I required more bandwidth and space than that for sites that are using more audio and video and downloads so had to move.

But once more I must say that Rochen are excellent in all aspects - I was with them for about 14 or 15 months.
    It is always tough to leave a good provider because you feel you can get a better deal somewhere else - I mean, there is a reason that you were so happy for so long, and often times, it is their pricing model.

I hope it all works out for you with whatever company you choose, as it does look like you are considering companies with good reputations - however, if the service isnt what you expected, I hope you would be willing to call rochen back and pay the higher rates

I hope it all works out for you with whatever company you choose, as it does look like you are considering companies with good reputations - however, if the service isnt what you expected, I hope you would be willing to call rochen back and pay the higher rates
    As stated above, Rochen has been and is excellent - judging by the past they will certainly continue to upgrade their hardware and expand their datacenters and will certainly continue to lead the way with customer service, so I would always be willing and even happy to be part of their community.

I did not have a problem with paying more money actually - I really do need the additional bandwidth and HD space beyond the top slated plan - $$ wasn't the motivator for moving - I really don't believe that the fees a good host charges are a big issue, especially if you have ecommerce sites hosted with a quality service - another $20 or $50 or more is not really an issue when you have total confidence in them - at least it wasn't in this case.

It is great to hear your experience with us was a positive one. I wish you every success for the future and thanks for your business the past couple of years.

You know where you can contact me should you ever need anything
    And thank you very much Chris - I sure do know how to find you man - you're chained to your desk and computers almost 24 hours a day LOL!!! You and Brad anyway.

All the very best
    Ron